Highlights (Cowparsleyman Mix)

• 13 Replies

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« on: June 07, 2021, 06:48:45 AM »
Hello everyone, back to inflict another song on you I`m afraid. :o . This summer song was written in the depths of January (I obviously needed a holiday!  ;D ) I got stuck on some of the lyrics until @adamfarr kindly helped me out of a rut. If he hadn`t helped with some super lyrics I`d still be working on it now. Got the marvellous @cowparsleyman to try & do something with it & he rather splendidly binned all my instrumentation & told me to redo the vocals. (apart from that he loved it ;D ). He put a lot of his time into it ,building it up again, playing all the instruments, doing the arrangements, mixing & mastering. The recording is so clear now, you can hear my dog licking his balls in the background.. a marvellous performance from years of practice & much better than my vocals which are a bit pitchy & patchy but it is what it is & we are where we are & now its summer I`ll start writing songs about winter. Thanks for listening guys & hope you like it.
                     Highlights
Recently we've all been plagued by uncertainty
One thing I´m sure of: It's you & me forever.
She saw him & thought he was” da bomb”.
Well he`ll go off before too long.
Was he staring at her highlights while they were dancing?

They ran 1000 miles but never left square one
Now he`s saving his last smile until he leaves you.

She makes the bed while last night's drama plays in her head
Repeating over the things he said "Its over!"

His past life is tattooed on his arm so we can see where he went wrong
If only love was blind he wouldn't be so shallow

He's only one hand on his heart cos the other's on his phone
Did she misread the stars?
"I thought you loved me!"

Can’t we agree that love's the answer?
And then we’ll see in spite of everything you believe
I love you.

The highlights replaying in her mind
A greatest hits of love gone blind.
Was he studying the highlights while they were dancing?

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 08:49:26 AM »
I love this song. I love the tragedy and originality in the writing, the melody, and how @cowparsleyman 's background is totally unique but keeps out of the way of the song. Thanks to @5 guys named Lars for the early listens and the opportunity to contribute in a really very small way to what was already something fantastic.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 09:21:41 AM »
@5 guys named Lars  Interesting and original composition, slightly reminds me of "She's Leaving Home" by the Beatles. Very sensitive and effective production from @cowparsleyman, nice job

Kevin

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 11:13:53 AM »
Hola @5 guys named Lars

It's a wonderful description of blind love!!! I love the lyrics, really fantastic and putting images of the scenes in the eyes!!! This line is wonderful "They ran 1000 miles but never left square one" brilliant!!! and the music gently and sadly envelops that tragedy of the broken heart @cowparsleyman @adamfarr
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 09:10:04 PM »
This is such a great story in a song. I absolutely LOVE those lyrics.. fantastic..  Really pulled me into it.. My fave lines:

His past life is tattooed on his arm so we can see where he went wrong
If only love was blind he wouldn't be so shallow

Great production from @cowparsleyman - lovely arrangement and the strings are very effective..

Great to hear a new one from you @5 guys named Lars - love your style!

K

LilPeeper

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 07:10:21 PM »
Some stunning lines in this including "His past life is tattooed on his arm so we can see where he went wrong" and "She saw him & thought he was” da bomb”.
Well he`ll go off before too long."  The music was really early Michael Jackson Off The Wall vibes for me and the vocals were Damon Albarn-esque which was nice. A great song imo. Simple, but effective and memorable.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 12:30:29 AM »
I agree with @kevysc about the 'She's Leaving Home' comparison. But that's a big compliment as I love The Beatles. If I was to nit-pick there's a couple of times where the vocals kind of trip over each other if you know what I mean, but that doesn't detract from a great song. Love this - great lyrics. Well done guys. :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 08:54:51 AM »
@5 guys named Lars - So good to read the comments and reviews about your song, I loved this one, as others have said it's  passionate love song, and some of the lines hit home.

Your obviously have songwriting in your soul, so rare to have melodies, lyrics and structure, you have it all man, to me you have what Lennon and McCartney had, but they needed 2 of em, also a touch of Elvis Costello and Billy Bragg in there as well.

I thought the star of the piece was the lead ball-licking solo by Bonzo, or was that your fine singing voice?  8)  I hope he appears on the sleeve credits.

As a producer it's always good to have a clear idea of what's in the Artist's minds eye so I have a 'vibe' to go for, yet also good to have the trust of going for something a bit different, in this case I kind of wondered what Sir George Martin would do, but also a bit of early Bowie - he used to have a load of production ideas that one wouldn't think were obvious (Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud from the Space Oddity LP- for example) so I did my own thing, popped a Strawberry Fields Mellotron in there near the end.

@adamfarr @kevysc @moraamarolaloba @MonnoDB @LilPeeper @ChrisPrice - although my contribution was minimal, thanks for the production related comments, much appreciated.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 01:22:44 PM »
@5 guys named Lars @cowparsleyman

Hi guys, lovely song, really enjoyed it. Some of your stuff has a real Beach Boys feel to it and this is one of them. Lovely chords and melody. Nice arrangement complements the song.

Nice work guys!

Jamie

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 11:20:17 PM »
Thank you so much @kevysc @moraamarolaloba @MonnoDB @LilPeeper @ChrisPrice @Jamie for giving this a listen & taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your feedback.  :)
And a big thank you again to @adamfarr & Lord Richard of Cowparsley for their work on it.
Your comments @cowparsleyman made me chuckle as you don`t half speak some crap. ;D . It is obviously an advantage that there are 5 of us  8) (although one of us (Lars) is pretty useless to be honest). I think to be fair George Martin would probably have said "Have you got anything else? This is rubbish" ;D . You`re correct though that Bonzo licking his balls creates an arcane beauty that balances the nuances of glory against hate and a radiant perspective that is almost Faustian in its deliverance. I`ll try & get him to fart on my next song & see what that sounds like.  :D  Thanks again everyone. :)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »
this is unusual for me
seems quite stripped down and kind of honest and relatable
I can't help but feel feel familiar with the protagonist
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 11:18:30 PM »
Hi @5 guys named Lars, I enjoyed this departure from your higher tempo tunes which showed you also had a great command of contemporary ballad territory. The lyrics are pithy, as expected, but there’s some great twists and turns in this melody, heart string pulling stuff.

A very subtle arrangement too, which I very much appreciated. 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 10:52:17 PM »
Brilliant track!

Really interesting arrangement here which shows off your skills in a really cool and inventive way. I think Rich did a brilliant job on this...I wasn't 100% sure after first hearing it...but I have seen the light.

Great lyrics and a really engaging sound to it...you're really one of my absolute favourites around here.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 11:14:49 PM »
Very nice track... the lyrics are the absolute highlight for me - some very clever turns of phrase - my fave being:
"She saw him & thought he was” da bomb”.  Well he`ll go off before too long."  That's both funny and tragic at the same time.
I liked the pacing of it too and the fact it stays quite restrained in the production all the way through - keeps it uncluttered and subtle.
If I could suggest one thing it would be to tighten up the timing between the double tracked vocals - once or twice the words are not quite in line (unless that was a deliberate effect).
That's nit picking on a gem of a track though.  Nice work Lars, and Adam, and CPM.
It's all too beautiful.