Songwriter Forum > Recording

Shaker

(1/2) > >>

cowparsleyman:
An often under used perc piece is the Shaker.

I have a couple that I use, one is an old plastic ballcock filled with Arborio rice (uncooked) and the other is a Meinl percussion live Red - it's design makes it easy to get the feel and keep in time.

I use it in quiet sections to keep the rhythm going, where drums or bass are not present.

typically it's stick a Waves Aphex Aural exciter on it to make it jump out, but keep it low in the mix, and possibly the Plugin Alliance Stereomaker to widen it and keep it out of the way of what's going on in the middle.

Hope it helps...

Boydie:
Great post @cowparsleyman

I also consider a shaker one of my "secret weapons"

My favourite use is to introduce a shaker mixed waaay low in the mix during a chorus

It just seems to add some extra movement/excitement without being obvious

I also love varying the shaker pattern to add some very subtle additional rhythmic interest to track - eg introduce it for the last verse/chorus sections

As has been said, keep it low in the mix - the key is mixing it "so low you can't hear it - but you notice when it is not there"  :o

adamfarr:
Definitely agree - if a mix lacks high end then a shaker can really add some life - I think the smaller grains may be the secret...

cowparsleyman:
@adamfarr - Nice to hear from you Adam - As it's used in quiet sections, the focus is usually in the middle, so I might put a SoundToys panman on it, which controls the width and rate of panning beautifully, it just adds a bit of interest, for the old luggoles...

PeteS:
Sounds like a good trick.  Anyone had success with a midi kit shaker?  on the basis I don't have a real one or an old Ballcock!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version