Music listening habits

• 14 Replies

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »
So I was chatting to my best mate Alex the other day, and I asked him what he was listening to at the minute, to whit he replied Funeral for a Friends new album, best of Creedance Clearwater, Foo Fighters new album, Linkin Parks latest album, etc. Like 5 albums.

When he asked ME what I was listening to, I replied Bon Iver - Skinny Love, Lana Del Ray - Videogames, A.A. Bondy - Black Rain, Sigur Ros - Samskeyti, Keane - Bedshaped.

And then I realised that when he listened to music, he just whacked a whole album on and listened to it all the way through, whilst I listen to 5-6 songs EXCLUSIVELY for a month or so, drinking them in, then slowly changing them for other songs as I came across them.

Don't get me wrong, I've got all the albums with those songs on, I just seem to focus on a few tracks and really take them in.

Anyone else like this?

Or am I just odd?

Actually, don't answer that last one :P

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »
When I discover a band I kinda like I'll make myself listen to the album in whole at least once and generally twice.

I'm always comfortable leaving my music on shuffle because there's enough that I'll want to listen to and I can always skip songs. Sometimes I do listen to whole albums if I'm in the mood.

The exception to this is concept albums. More often than not (for the first 4-6 months at least) I'll listen to the concept album through if I decide I want to hear a particular song off the album and I always end up enjoying the whole journey again, like a great movie with good re-watch value.

When I get a bunch of new music that is what I'll predominantly listen to for a couple of months though.
Defective Elector

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »
i find if i buy 2 albums & i play 1 & i realy like it...& i play the other & i dont quite get it....for some perverse reason i will now stop playing the 1 i realy like & keep playing the 1 dont ...its like im missing something from it & want to find out what it is!
this irks me cos it means listening is often a chore when it should be a pleasure"
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »
Peter, you're so odd!! ;)

I tend to do both, but mainly I like to listen to whole albums. But when you're committed to whole albums you have to be much pickier about what you take on than with individual songs. For example, I heard a few Ryan Adams songs online and thought he's a good songwriter, so I bought his album Easy Tiger. To be honest, it's disappointing. A poor album will quickly put me off the song I liked enough to make me buy the album.

I will usually give any album 3 full listens before I pass judgement, so you're not alone tinam!

Peter, I think you should include Del Ray's Born to Die in your playlist. In the same vein as video games, only better in my opinion.

I really don't like having my music on shuffle though - listening for me is very mood dependent. Nice thread this :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
I follow a similar rule there Tone, a bad album will ruin a song for me. However, I don't always let this stop me from buying an album based off one song. The first Enter Shikari song I ever listened to was 'Jonny Sniper'. It was my kind of song through and through, so I bought the whole album. The rest of it was stuff I'd normally hate completely but something about it just blew my mind and worked amazingly. They've since become my favorite band (Finally get the new albu tomorrow!!! Girlish excitement!!)

So in short, I have had good experiences with buying albums based off one song as often as I've had bad ones so I take the risk. At worst, I'm only $20 out of pocket (NZD)
Defective Elector

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
I think I'm like you also Mr Chainsaw.

I do have albums that I loved but as Tone said if your going to listen to a whole album it had better be a good one.

So there are certain bands who I can listen to a whole album of, Like : Pink floyd The Beatles, Zappa, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Elbow, Liquid tension experiment,

Genesis (early stuff) Rush, Captain Beefheart, etc...  I don't do this often at all though.

Most of the time I either search youtube for random artists and have a listen, see what's new, find something I like, and when I do

I have a period where I listen to those songs a lot and then I'll find new stuff. A good example of a song I found purely

by chance is this one and it is brilliant
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:48 AM »
That is a great song, Schavuitje! I would also add that it comes from an excellent album. I forget the name, but it's the one with the devil dancing tango on the cover.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

darreldo

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »
Certain albums i can listen to all the way through, such as the Stone Roses 1st album and the La's only album.
I have an ipod so i usually have a review of the songs on there every few week and get rid of anything I hardly listen to or don't like.
I cut alot of songs out and go thrpugh individual artists making my own personal "best of" albums.
 The Stone roses, La's, Beatles and Cast are the only bands to escape my cull.
My way of thinking is that I don't have to enjoy every song and album just because i like the band

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
oooh I'm friends with one of the La's on facebook :) My friends know him better than I do, I hardly use facebook
as I consider it the root of all evil  :P
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »
Ginger is the root of all evil. Trust me, I'm a chef.

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

darreldo

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 02:15:48 AM »
Facebook is awful. I got rid of mine.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 02:55:24 AM »
Sprouts are evil!

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 08:46:17 AM »
Ginger is the root of all evil. Trust me, I'm a chef.

Peter

(Checks avatar)

Anyway, I got myself Enter Shikari's A Flash Flood Of Colour just yesterday and have found myself able to listen to other things, which is unusual in terms of my general habits
Defective Elector

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »
he replied Funeral for a Friends

Funeral For a Friend by Elton John is one of my all time top 3 tracks.  An awesome production, which has hugely impacted on how I write my own music !!

Beat Poet

• Busker
    • Drum Tracks Direct
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »
If I get into a new band (one that has only one or two albums), I play the albums until I know which songs I like, then I stick them in a playlist. With my regular listening, it's just playlists!