Inconsiderate Posters

• 11 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: May 09, 2021, 01:16:04 PM »
I feel it needs to be said that there are some really inconsiderate posters on this forum.  I'm especially referring to the ones who post their song and make no or little contribution at all.  It gets the quality, considerate contributors down to the point that they consider or do in fact leave.  Have a word with yourselves before you decide to post your latest creation and frankly, don't bother.  I've definitely had enough of this ridiculous selfish approach to forum interaction.  We've all got busy lives but please do what you can to support this forum.   A little consideration and interaction would help this forum to flourish.  I often feel that this forum is going backwards due to selfish posters!

Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
@Wicked Deeds

Well said Paul, I've often thought this and therefore tend to give the benefit of the doubt to people who join and expect comments, but rarely if ever take the time and trouble to contribute. After a couple of posts I ignore them.......It does take considerable time to post and contribute, but if you expect others to listen, consider the comments and post them, then its only good manners to reciprocate.

Cheers

Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 01:49:01 PM »
Couldn't agree more. It's all about being considerate. Surely, if you're expecting your song to be reviewed It's only polite to reciprocate and give a bit back.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 02:23:55 PM »
‘The Inconsiderate Posters’ ...well I thought @Wicked Deeds had started a new band there for a minute.  ;)

But, of course, most regulars who are happy to play the give-and-take game agree with this.

Maybe a bit more clearer signposting on the site would help - some words that explain the forum’s reciprocal expectations. If prospective posters read that, then don’t want to comply, then they shouldn’t bother posting.

I’ve started ignoring posters who I know I have commented on more than once, but they’ve never returned the favour.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 03:17:57 PM »
It's like all those ill-fated health promotion campaigns that they have...whereby they try to persuade fundamentally stupid people to stop doing stupid things.

We'll just get the old "Oh, I see...it's just you and your mates patting each other on the back and telling each other you're great when, actually, you're really a load of old bollocks...so why don't you just stick your forum up your arse" reply.

I like to think that we're overwhelmingly a fairly kind and generous bunch of people from all walks of life who really enjoy making and listening to original music...and we come here to help, and be helped by, each other.

If you're reading this...and that doesn't sound like you, then you might not get as much out of this forum as many of us do.

It must be hard for Boydie to try to keep new folks coming along and joining in without hitting them with a load of rules and regulations, but it risks pissing off some of the genuine members who spend much more time taking part in discussions and reviewing what others are doing than they do in peddling their own wares.

I struggle to comprehend the lack of self-awareness that some people display.

So, yes...it really gets on my tits as well.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 03:42:45 PM »
@Wicked Deeds, I was just attempting to be mildly amusing. You have taken it completely the wrong way as I have nothing but respect for you. Sorry for upsetting you, though, it really wasn’t my intention.

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 07:55:32 AM »
Dear all

Due to being overwhelmed with a spate of music production work I am not across the forum as much as I would like at the moment

This issue does come up from time to time and based on experience (and witnessing lots of “flame wars”) I would suggest the following action if you notice this type of behaviour...

This is general advice and not aimed at anyone....

Please (please please please) resist the temptation to directly criticise those that post and do not comment/engage

Please use the “report post” button to bring the posters to the attention of the MODs and myself - OR send me a PM directly

These issues can then be dealt with “behind the scenes” - as there are many reasons people are reluctant to post reviews (nervous, don’t know how, intimidated by the quality on the forum etc. being new to an established group Etc.)

I find it much more productive to “call them out” directly, in private, than a public flogging (which can still come later  ;))

The best course of action for members is to either give the benefit of the doubt and post a review to “show them the way” OR simply ignore this person and not post a review (and try to bite your tongue when you see them getting reviews from others!)

Please resist the temptation to “go vigilante” - as this never ends well

I know the values of the forum and it is really important to me that it remains a welcome and supportive place - and we need to be tolerant with newbies,  but still take action with people that refuse to engage and just want to promote their latest “masterpiece”

You all do sooo much for this forum (which is very much appreciated) so the least I can do is take this burden off of you - so please “ignore and report” and the MODs will handle it

I am very proud that a lot of the MOD work goes unnoticed as it happens “behind the scenes” with PMs

You are absolutely right to raise this issue @Wicked Deeds and if there is anything I can do with the guidelines to make them clearer please let me know - but luckily this kind of thing is quite rare and these types of members rarely stick around for long - but me and the MODs (another potential band name!) will do what we can to allow you guys and gals to concentrate on the music
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »
I actually don't remember if this is the case cause it was quite a while ago that I joined now, but I have been on some forums in the past that require a minimum amount of posts elsewhere on the forum before you're allowed to post your own work for critique. This seems to work pretty well as the guys that just want to post, get feedback, and leave get filtered out and the people that want to contribute make it through the filter. I don't know how easy this is to implement or whether that's a direction the mods want to take. I suppose the initial hook of posting your song and getting feedback leads to many members staying on when they may have been on the fence.

I know I'm a guy that floats in and out but I do appreciate this place immensely.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »
@MichaelA, this was a post that I had very strong opinion about. I still reiterate my feelings about some of the more selfish posters. Unfortunately on this occasion, I took your post literally at a time when I was reeling about other less considerate posters and didn't wish to be counted amongst such people. I apologise if my reaction has upset you.  Maybe I need a little time away. I'm now at a stage where I feel my absence wouldn't be missed in this community.

Paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
@Wicked Deeds thanks for coming back into the thread so we can now put this misunderstanding behind us.

I can now see where you are coming from and i couldn’t agree more with your Opening Post.

Sometimes interacting with others can be wearying, both on forums and in real life. Tell me about it! You say you might need a bit of time off, but this was just a little blip that nobody else will be even thinking about it in a few days. I know I won’t be. So I’d just suggest you get your head clear and soon enough you’ll probably have the energy and inclination to want to join in again. After all, you have been one of the stalwarts of the forum for years, and one of the best songwriters too. Anyway, at least keep your options open, just my tuppence worth...
All the best.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 05:07:10 PM »
@wicked deeds

Hi Paul, I have often over the years of participating in this forum come to the conclusion the I should take a rest for a while. Mostly it was because of my own lack of motivation for one reason or another over my ability, or inability to connect with people over my songwriting and recording. Occasionally it was caused by some 'idiot' who just rubbed me up the wrong way and I thought, why do I bother? It may be that a rest will invigorate you, but I would say that in this case I don't see any evidence that you are not a valued member of this 'mostly' supportive forum, and furthermore I don't detect any malice in @MichaelA 's comments. He has a great sense of humour and for one reason or another his comment missed the mark for you. Whatever you choose to do I wish you well, and hope to see you newly invigorated and back on the forum sometime soon! There are a relatively few members of this community I would say this to, you will be missed.

Cheers and best wishes

Jamie