Friday Night Zoom Sessions

• 11 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: May 09, 2021, 09:03:05 AM »
Hi All, There has been a regular Friday evening Zoom call more or less every week for over a year. It's been great fun and a lovely opportunity to get to know some of the forum members a lot better. I think that through discussion we've managed to kick off quite a few initiatives and challenges that has made the forum a more interesting place. However, number have dwindled, I appreciate that everyone has busy lives, myself included. I'm going to be moving house shortly so will be up to me neck in "stuff" I guess. I suggest that if there is enough interest then I will host ad hoc Zoom sessions. That is of course, unless anybody else is prepared to host a regular session, whenever. I would also be interested in any initiatives that people have to encourage more participation and to make it inclusive  :)

Cheers

John

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 09:31:02 AM »
Thanks for over a year of hosting it John. Very generous of you 👍 Inevitably, like most initiatives do, though,  it has flagged a little due to dwindling numbers and less to talk about if it’s just the same core of people every week.

It is fun when we’re working out the next challenge or doing the spinning wheel thing, but that’s just once in a while.

If you or somebody else on here has an idea to discuss on an ad hoc basis, or just thinks it’s time again that people might like to catch up, then we’ve proved that Zoom can be a good way of swapping ideas other than just exchanging views in a forum thread. Occasional Zooming might be the way to go, but anybody could organise it if they so wished.

I think I personally am ready for a little break from it, however.

Thanks again though John for running something that cheered a lot of us up through a difficult year. 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:54:34 AM »
Thanks for hosting them all, John

I really loved them...although I was very disappointed that most people couldn’t find the time or inclination to pop in.

We always had a lovely little group chat and have had many a laugh.

For my part, I felt like I should just shut up...I got the feeling I was boring people with my rambling stories, and perhaps getting a little carried away and repeating myself now and again. In my defence, I would have said that I thought I mostly piped up to avoid a lull in the proceedings, but I did once or twice get the feeling that it was getting on people’s nerves. That’s mostly why I haven’t been on the Friday calls lately.

I’ve had a few other forum issues of my own of late so I’m not planning to be around much anymore anyway, at least for a while.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »
Hey @popmeyjazz,

You've provided an excellent opportunity for forum members to interact on a regular basis. I've been a regular but unfortunately have been unable to attend every third week due to work commitments. I would like to thank you for setting the regular zoom meetings up. They have been very enjoyable. @PaulAds your presence has always been a pleasure and you were missed when not in attendance. I feel sure that a new initiative will present itself again.

Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »
@pompeyjazz

Hi John, you did a brilliant job hosting the zoom meetings, and I enjoyed the ones I attended. Everyone was open, friendly and supportive. It would be a shame if that channel was never used again as I found it interesting and informative. Also on a personal level it was great to put faces and voices to like minded people trying to improve their skills and there was a very collegiate spirit.
Well done John and thanks for your huge input to this initiative and your support on the forum.

Cheers
Jamie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 03:37:56 AM »
I enjoyed the Zooms a lot when I was able to attend. Moving has put me mostly out of time for anything but unpacking, organizing, etc. I'll watch for future Zooms whenever someone organizes any, and maybe I'll get to come. Maybe I'll even organize one myself some time, you never know.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 07:12:37 PM »
I always liked the ones I made, even if only for a short while. Possibly they might be more of a "winter thing" - so maybe it would be good to have a break and revisit them when the clocks go back or sometime like that.

Just in case anyone was worried (or noticed), I've also had a few weeks away from here, to count my Bitcoins, but am now ready to dive into forum life again!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 08:45:57 AM »
@pompeyjazz - A huge thanks to you Johnno, it was always selfless and you were the perfect moderator, in the background but kept things moving.

I agree with @adamfarr - It suits the colder winter evenings. For my part a little more structure to the time might have worked well, with volunteers offering their advice for example  a fixed plan such as...

Song writing advice - Such as approaches to M8, choosing a key, Lyrical approach
Production advice -Such as compressors, Vocals
Distribution - Which one, Do you bother with Socials?
Chat at the end

This is probably too much for 1 session, so perhaps just one topic plus the chat..

Publishing this in advance would give each participant a focus and more of an idea whether there is something in it for them, or maybe they could contribute toward a topic...

I would have loved to have continued to attend but a personal commitment has precluded my involvement both with the Zoom meetings and the forum in general, I will be doing my best to participate.

Johnno Man - I wish you a successful move and hope that this new chapter in your life proves fruitful, keep the songs coming.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 12:50:22 AM »
@pompeyjazz
As a newcomer at the back end of last year, I enjoyed the few times I took part. If you decide to keep it going on an occasional basis I'll gladly join in. Otherwise I'll echo what the others have said and say a big thank you for doing it mate. Nice one  :)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 05:50:02 PM »
Thank you @pompeyjazz for hosting these.
Great to see and talk to all my musical friends on that side of the Atlantic when I was able to attend.
Good luck moving - maybe we can restart again when the cold winter howls :D

Paul

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 02:11:13 PM »
Hey John, I always enjoyed them, just that they clashed with when the family seemed to want me, unbelievable I know  ;D

I think ad-hoc ones could be good and maybe have a topic as Rich suggested so we can think in advance.

Cheers
Pete
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 10:30:41 AM »
@pompeyjazz

John, thanks for all your hard work and commitment.

Is a local move or further afield?

:-) neil
songwriter of no repute..