konalavadome

Break the Chains - Ashes for Dreams

• 25 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 05:48:29 PM »
It's all been said! Shades of Black Velvet - love that bass!
Great vocals/harms, chorus is catchy and lifts nicely.
Stellar guitars and drums.
There's nothing here that I can find to not like. :D

Good collab guys
Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 08:24:55 PM »
Brilliant!

One small thing...I thought the bass was slightly at odds with the drums at the start somehow. Funnily enough, it made me me grab my bass and play along...which I hardly ever do! I don't think there's anything wrong with the bass...maybe I thought it needed a little more definition? Or maybe I just felt that I'd have played it differently...for what that's worth!

Vocals are sounding really sultry and very nice indeed. Tricky rhythm to pull off instrumentally, I think...but JB did a great job as usual!

Btw Karen @MonnoDB and @Jambrains is "Ashes for Dreams" a line in one of your songs? I was wandering through the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle today and I used the phrase in some lyrics I'm trying to get together for a song...and thought I'd better ask!

Great lyrics. Lovely backing Vox too. I loved the "a life not lived at all" line in particular.

A super track.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 12:05:07 AM »
Brilliant!

One small thing...I thought the bass was slightly at odds with the drums at the start somehow. Funnily enough, it made me me grab my bass and play along...which I hardly ever do! I don't think there's anything wrong with the bass...maybe I thought it needed a little more definition? Or maybe I just felt that I'd have played it differently...for what that's worth!

Vocals are sounding really sultry and very nice indeed. Tricky rhythm to pull off instrumentally, I think...but JB did a great job as usual!

Btw Karen @MonnoDB and @Jambrains is "Ashes for Dreams" a line in one of your songs? I was wandering through the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle today and I used the phrase in some lyrics I'm trying to get together for a song...and thought I'd better ask!

Great lyrics. Lovely backing Vox too. I loved the "a life not lived at all" line in particular.

A super track.

Hey @PaulAds - since you're in the throes of writing I thought I should answer you quickly - have been mental busy so will get to more reviewing and answering all the other fab comments (for which I am truly grateful) over the next couple of days.. Re Ashes for dreams as a lyric.. no, not at all - have at it!! Look forward to hearing it.. The closest we came was on Love Gone Cold, the chorus went "We're standing in the ashes of a love gone cold...."... Iirc, AFD was one of a stream of consciousness of suggestions when we were trying to come up with a band name 4 years ago...a year after our first collaboration!  It's flown as only rollercoaster adventures can...

Anyhoo it's all yours! :)

"A life not lived at all" was the line that started the song before this one... and this one stole it..  :D  It's a line laden with meaning for me and even the second song (which I'm working on at the moment) isn't quite the song I intended although it is definitely closer.. So I love that you picked that line from the song.. I might be brave enough to share the context when I post the other song but I doubt it :)

Thanks so much for your great comments...

K

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 07:44:13 PM »
Thanks all for listening and for your comments.. Delighted..

@Paulski thanks so much!

@pompeyjazz & @Jamie - I'll leave @Jambrains to referee the Ride Wars :) Thank you both for your great comments.. And yes John.. that baritone is the 8th wonder... I just adore it... I'd say I want one myself except I wouldn't be able to play the bloody thing! :)

@montydog - thanks so much... love the refs ! :) You're very kind..

@adamfarr - funny I never even thought of the title FM ref until we posted and got this feedback.. I wonder if we'd called it Catch Your Fall (Catch was the working title) would it have gotten the same feedback.. Thanks a mill for your great comments..

@ChrisPrice - thanks so much! Interesting points..... I can't see us changing the pace but will look at the outtro vocal (I'm assuming you mean the sung line.. )

@MichaelA - thanks a mill.. as above interesting re the subliminal FM influence... You're very kind and I appreciate it!

@Wicked Deeds - thanks so much that means a hell of a lot!

@digger72 - lol - great review, I loved that!! Thank you!!

@moraamarolaloba Muchas gracias - you are so kind!

@rightly - yeah I think we could all do with taking the message on board... me included.. Thanks for your great comments! We do love it!

@kevysc - gotta agree re the guitar work, it's fab. Thanks for your lovely comments..

@estreet - thank you kindly... Noted re levels we'll look at that..

Thank you all.. Completely blown away.. Loved doing this one...

K

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 11:28:49 PM »
Great groove & the middle 8 breaks it up nicely into the wonderful guitar solo. Vocals, especially after the solo are superb. As has been mentioned it sounds beautifully polished & all set for FM radio. Top stuff @MonnoDB & @Jambrains:)

jonlint

• Open Mic
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 04:55:21 AM »
Hi there,

Great song - love the vibe and production.  Here is some feedback on ideas to make this even better

- The solo is a little low in the mix.  I would back off the rest of the instruments first rather than raising the level
- While the vocal performance is steller, I feel that it could be sung in the verses with a little more grit especially in the beginning.  Another option would be to add some distortion to the verse vocals, maybe a parallel track that is blended in.  The 2nd verse is better than the first in this regard.  Also the timing of the singing is not always synched to the rhythm to me.  Sorry if I am being too nit picky.

Thanks for sharing!

Jonathan

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2021, 09:48:40 PM »
Thank you so much @jonlint - thanks for the pointers, we'll take them on board when reviewing the mix etc..

@5 guys named Lars - thanks so much... you are very kind, sir(s) :)

K

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2021, 06:32:53 AM »
Love the new wave sound. Has a retro feel, but refreshed.
Love the sound. The singing parts are excellent! Love the big sounding guitars.
Good stuff, guys!
                                     -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2021, 05:11:10 PM »
@MonnoDB  great chorus! Packs a great punch after the sultry ‘black velvet’ beginning. Great vocals and vocal arrangement as always... it’s got a great hook, that’ll be slipping into my head again, no doubt!👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 06:39:50 PM »
Thanks so much @IronKnee amd @man made material ! Such great comments- I really appreciate them!

And thanks to all who’ve listened and commented!

K