Didn't know where to post this, so here goes....

• 3 Replies

jimbles

• Busker
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »
As title says, I didn't know where to post this!!!

Anyway, basically, I songwrite, but never actually attempted recording my own and what not. However I'd like to attempt to do so, so any good freeware for editing sounds and being to peice music and songs together basically?

also, I'm clueless when it comes to playing instruments, so anywhere I can just get something that's free to use as backing?

Also, any decent cheap mics that I could use to record?

Thanks for any help in advance

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
Hi Jimbles :)

In terms of freeware I'd recommend audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
I think you may struggle to find free backing tracks though as they usually involve a lot of work.  You're probably better off trying to find a collaborator (maybe post on the forum that you're looking for someone) and between you come up with a backing track for your song.

Decent mics are much cheaper than they used to be. If you're recording on your computer, I recommend the zoom USB series - they're excellent.

Good luck :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »
I use audacity for putting ideas down.  It's pretty good.  It allows you to multi-track.  The only dowside is that you can't separate tracks into bars / measures or verse / chorus etc.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
Hi Jimbles. I can recomend the "Samson C03 Studio Condenser Microphone"
I got mine for about £54 quid. It's a heavy, sturdy mic with a great sound for the price. It came in quite a handy, tough case too.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.