konalavadome

New headphones for studio

• 8 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: April 21, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »
Hi all, I would like to upgrade my headphones, from low end budget to something a bit better. Bearing in mind my cloth ears, what would be a reasonable budget and product to improve my listening ability. I think my current headphones were pretty cheap, can’t even remember what they are..... :P. I don’t want to venture into high end at many hundreds or thousands, but for an amateur what level of expenditure and product would make a noticeable difference?

Cheers

Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 11:23:35 AM »
I've got some KRK's @Jamie Cost about 85 quid. I'll dig the model out later but very pleased with them

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 02:16:16 PM »
@pompeyjazz

My current ones are old Behringers, they're crap......Almost anything will be better...coffee cups and string ;D

Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 09:27:24 PM »
@Jamie - these things are always very subjective, but for what it’s worth I like my akg q701’s for a few reasons.
1. They are very flat and give a very accurate representation of what’s going on, which means your sound system will be adding bass not the mix. Lots of folk make the mistake of going for bassy cans...these will sound a bit weak if you like your bass, but a flat response does tend to sound a tad ‘thin’
2. They have a very wide sound stage, great for placing BV’s wide gtrs very accurately.
3. They won’t break the bank.
4. They have a funky green cable, which is detachable, so can be replaced if it goes wrong
5. Super comfy for long sessions.
6. Open back so they are excellent mixing cans.
7. Made in austria not china (i also have some chinese 701’s and the are nowhere near the sound) and some audio technica atx50  - not in the same league ( i use these for tracking only as they are closed back and don’t bleed sound )

Look on ebay, i got mine there for a song, or two.just had a look and theres a pair for 119 bucks....

Would be interested in what you go for.

Rich

Btw they are endorsed by Quincy Jones.. nuff said

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 07:56:21 AM »
@Jamie

I think a budget of £100 - £150 will get you a stellar pair of headphones

I personally also favour the KRK KNS 8400

However, I would also be very happy with the AKGs Rich has mentioned - as well as the various versions of the Beyerdynamic

My general recommendation would be to make sure you go for a set of “round the ear” headphones and NOT “on the ear” headphones. This will give you MUCH better sound isolation and IMHO are MUCH more comfortable

The other decision to make is whether to for “open back” or “closed back”

If you are looking for a set of cans for recording AND mixing then I would say go for closed back - these will stop sound leaking in to your mic when singing and listening to the backing track

It will also keep outside noise to a minimum when trying to focus on a mix

If you are just mixing and have a really quiet environment, then open back headphones will give a slightly better sound as they minimise the internal reflections of sound bouncing off the the plastic backs - but in reality this is very minimal and (IMHO) probably not worth worrying too much about

I would also recommend checking the availability of spares - you can then go for a more expensive set knowing they can be easily repaired

I recently fixed my pair of Beyerdynamics and after some soldering, new ear pads and new headband cushion they are literally as good as new after about 10years!

Final consideration- do a bit of googling about the Ohm rating of your cans to make sure they match what you intend to plug them in to - perhaps give a store like Anderson’s a call to discuss

Other than that - good luck with the hunt and I think you will be VERY pleased with the improvement a good set of cans will make (and NEVER underestimate the importance of comfort! The KRK ones are so light and comfy they can easily be worn for many many hours!)

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 12:28:20 PM »
@pompeyjazz @Boydie @cowparsleyman

Hi guys, thanks for the info, I'll do some reading and research, and I'll let you know what i go for. I have an expensive pair of open back headphones somewhere that I used to use, and I found the 'bleed' when recording vocals an issue. BTW I'm plugging into a Focusrite 2i2 using logic pro x and Adams A7x monitors if that changes anything?

Cheers

Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 12:37:27 PM »
@Jamie - In that case If you were happy with the existing open backs, maybe use them for mixing and a pair of in-ear phone buds with an short extension cable for tracking, you don't really need hiFi for that, just no bleeding and loud enough.