konalavadome

Friday Night Songwriters Bar (Featuring the Incredible Spinning Wheels of Fate)

• 10 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: April 16, 2021, 09:02:24 AM »
This evening's Zoom session promises to be something special as I will be spinning the Incredible Songwriter wheels of fate LIVE !!! on air - Please feel free to drop in and witness this incredible spectacle

Festivities commence from 7pm UK time with the fist spin of the wheel at around 7:15pm

Gee - It's so exciting  :) :)

Topic: Friday Night Songwriters Bar
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/73948818209?pwd=d0s3VzZDNlovYjZmUCs4dVdvVERldz09

Meeting ID: 739 4881 8209
Passcode: 0JA4zH

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »
Made a head start on this.  I've put something together for my solo entry and it's quite a departure from my usual style.  I'm hoping for a good title so I can now top-line write then I'm done.  @Boydie and I put another track together as a warm but are gearing up to a fresh write for our collaboration.  Enjoy tonight at the bar, unfortunately, I'll be hard at work and not free to participate until Sunday or Monday.

Paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:54:36 PM »
So when’s the spinning wheel night @pompeyjazz? I think you need to make it clearer, I’m confused  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 04:22:39 PM »
Just so you know @pompeyjazz, it’s actually tonight. I hope people noticed. Thank goodness nobody has to think of tenuous reasons to bump the thread!  ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 07:15:19 PM »
Guys, sorry can’t make it, as off to the PUB :-)
Please be gentle with spinning wheel of doom,
neil
songwriter of no repute..

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 07:51:57 PM »
Unfortunately I can't look in tonight but definitely up for the challenge. :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 08:48:18 PM »
Enjoyed it...

I talked too much, as usual...anyway...to finish the rubbish story I was halfway through...the guy who runs the bar we were playing in said "you're too loud" and we only had a 300 watt vocal only PA, no monitors, a 130 watt TE bass amp and a Yamaha DG60 solid state guitar amp...but he reckoned we were louder than the top local heavy rock band and their full-band everything mic'd up 3k rig. We totally weren't...so it was either a case of him thinking we were shit and just using the excuse of it being too loud...or that he genuinely thought we were louder than them...which we weren't. So he thought we were shit, then. Also...on a different night, he tried to (literally) kick somebody out of his pub using a "roundhouse" karate move...and missed...which was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It was like the Jeremy Kyle show does It's a Knockout.

Anyway...the point I was going to make was that sometimes things sound louder than they actually are...due to someone's perception of what "loud" is...possibly related to whether they like it or not...and how angry someone looks/sounds whilst they're doing it.

Anyway...what's the deadline for the Headline Challenge entries?

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 11:09:31 AM »
@PaulAds
I often think it is more the frequency and quality of sound that gives the perception of “loudness”

We used to gig with a relatively small Fender PA (which served us well for many years) but got the occasional complaint about being too loins. We now gig with a 3k Rig with subwoofers and always mic the drums - even in small venues

We are able to get a good, balanced, sound and I can’t remember the last time we had a complaint about volume and can even get a great sound when fighting a sound meter in a venue!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 11:16:16 AM »
Cheers, Paul...yeah...it’s a strange thing. I think it is mostly due to the “spiky” and slightly confrontational music we play...and the somewhat amateurish way we play it...that creates the possible illusion that we’re louder than we actually are.

I’ve wanted our band to head down that far more sensible road for a long time now...but we’re such a bunch of dinosaurs...and cannot seem to play comfortably without causing much more of a racket than is actually required.

I’m off to rehearsal soon...so I might take this up with them...wish me luck!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter