Let The Band Commence

• 14 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: April 14, 2021, 05:48:54 PM »
So there I was, more than half way through an album inspired by my family members.  I'd just finished writing "Let Your Umbrella Down" an album of songs for my beautiful partner Marie.  A part of me  was sad to progress on to the family based album as I adore the collection of songs written for Marie.  I've just listened to that album and couldn't work out how I came to write those songs which are so very close to my heart.  Like i said  'there I was'  writing a family based album when my new family project was derailed.  Along came another song for 'La belle Marie'  entitled 'Let The Band Commence' and so I reignited my favourite album with the inclusion of this new song.  The album 'Let Your Umbrella Down' should be officially released in 2021 also with a run of CD's. 

The Tango originated from Buenos Aires.  As it's popularity increased, it spread to Berlin, Paris, London and New York.  Who can say  where the steps that Marie and I take will take us.

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/let-the-band-commence

Let The Band Commence

Let's take a walk upon a windswept beach
We'll dance a tango on the sand.
Every step we take today will carefully be planned.
Let the band commence.

Who can say if time will be our fiend?
Let the rhythm flow like water in the desert 'til the end.

Berlin or Paris on to London Town. 
New York may call out to the dance.
Syncopated steps we'll take.
Be good for goodness sake.

Let the band commence.

Who can say if time will be our fiend?
Let the rhythm flow like water in the desert 'til the end.
This one's for real, we can't pretend.

Dance beneath the moonlight 'til the end.
Sway and spin with me.
Let the rhythm take you to a place you can be free.

Let the band commence.
Let the band commence.
Let the band commence.
Let the band commence.

Written by Paul Vasey April 2021

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/let-the-band-commence

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:38:27 PM by Wicked Deeds »

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 08:40:38 PM »
I'm really liking this song. A good spacious production in which everything sits in the mix as it should. It has a great groove, good lyrics and a crystal clear vocal. No crits at all here. Very nice. :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 11:16:07 PM »
Paul,
cool lyrics and subject. like the way it develops too, with various layers placed.
I just wondered if the core backing including that repeating acoustic motif, could have bee a little more up in the mix so it feels more connected with the vocals?
:-) neil
songwriter of no repute..

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 12:23:53 AM »
I like it. Nice repeating lyrical riff there with the "Who can say.....". Love how the tune moves.

@Neil C has a point, though about tucking the vocal a bit. At times it sounded like you may have hit the compression make-up gain a bit hard on the vocals from the way the breaths stand out. Hope you don't mind that tiny nit.  :)

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 01:55:09 PM »
@Wicked Deeds

Hi Paul, very nice my only slight nit is that I thought the judicial use of backing vocals could have added a bit of colour here and there.
Nice one, as ever!

Cheers

Jamie

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »
@Wicked Deeds  love the chuggy muted guitar strumming in this! And that opening riff that needs to star in a Tarantino film... it’s a great brooding production - really love those subtle different guitar parts... only one crit - I thought you were singing ‘ Every step we take today will carefully be bland’ maybe I need to clear my ears out!.. anyway great tune!👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 10:19:41 PM »
Great vocals and guitar work are the stars of the show here Paul.
Love how you weave the hook into this without it being in the listener's face :D

Good work
Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 08:06:34 PM »
Yeah ! I love this one @Wicked Deeds - I thought that I had reviewed it already ! I've certainly listened to it a few times. I love the rhythms that you have got going on here and the instrumentation is subtle and cleverly arranged, some lovely little counter riffs and melodies. Great vocals - Another winner for me  :)

LilPeeper

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 09:50:55 PM »
Liked the brooding music throughout, but tangos are known for being dramatic and I didn't really feel the music "growing" and becoming more dramatic towards the end, which was a shame. Also, I would've personally liked more frantic vocals/lyrics in the final section - something like "Let the band commence! The dance, it never ends! Just let the band commence!" or something like that rather than just the same line repeated. A nice use of locations and a good theme throughout. An enjoyable listen.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »
@Wicked Deeds  Very cool backing track, lots of interesting touches and some really nice variation. A definite winner, well done.

One small suggestion ( don't I always have one?): instead of pausing between the "Let the Band" and "Commence", have it flow together, like an order to "Let the Band Commence!".

Cheers,

Kevin

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 11:33:34 AM »
Thank you for taking time to review this song. It is always appreciated.

Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 11:50:15 AM »
@Wicked Deeds I think this is the first tango song I've heard on here. The class oozes out and drips onto the (dance ?) floor. I like the pause before "commence" - that's how I would have sung it so it must be right :-)
Seriously, this an excellent piece in every way and you are showing real confidence in your arrangements and delivery. Long may this happy time and place continue.
M

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 09:12:56 AM »
Lovely clean guitar tones. Love the way the bass gently noodles along with the drums and the carefully syncopated guitar stabs.

Strings are lovely too.

Handclaps! Yay!

Super vocals and a lovely song all round!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 11:06:52 AM »
this is a good groove
really suits your voice
reminds me of calexico
from way back

Good work Cap'n!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 03:22:03 PM »
Hello Paul, the beginning of the song doesn't catch me 100 % but from 0,50 it was more than a great listen. Very hunting song. Thanks for sharing. Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><