Dry Land

• 13 Replies

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« on: April 14, 2021, 12:36:38 AM »
DRY LAND
© 2021 Chris Price

My latest offering. Unusually for me it’s a blues. This was written a while ago when I became aware of the plight of refugees fleeing in terror from war and abuse only to find themselves in terrible danger on the seas as they tried to find a new life in Europe and elsewhere. Covid-19 is awful but no more so than what these guys go through.

https://soundcloud.com/chris-price-824458122/dry-land

As the ship sales on out to sea, oblivious to the waves
don’t know what’s out there you see, or if anyone will be saved
I know you all paid out the money, all shelled out the dough
Chasing the dream, now it’s all out of your hands
Cross my fingers, nobody understands
Gotta spare a thought for the children, mustn’t bury them in the sand
Fortune Godspeed, I hope you all make dry land

Living rough on the beaches, makes no sense at all
This is exactly what we created, every time we wage a war
It’s time to tear down the customs and open up the door

And on my website (song 31): https://5ded45f1cd13e.site123.me/

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 09:07:26 AM »
Hi Chris, a very light touch here for a blues song - not usually my thing - but I found this a very easy and enjoyable listen. Yeah, I find a lot of old blues bands a bit stodgy and predictable, but this one kept to a blues framework but was so light on its feet, great stuff.

The chorus helped a lot, you made sister lines 1& 2 a contrasting hook to the verse, line 3 more conversational, then line 4 the second killer hook and probably the signature of the whole thing. Assured and experienced songwriting technique there.

Smashing solo too, not overly long...then back to the strong chorus. The politics of it all is controversial, but this was a convincing, heartfelt and humanitarian angle on a difficult subject. 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 09:29:59 AM »
Nicely done for a blues @ChrisPrice a soft, sensitive blues. I like the acoustic vibe and great underpinning bass line. The drums are lovely and lazy and shuffle along great - There's almost a live sound to them. I like the organ that you use in the bridge section as well. Vocals are always excellent and poignant lyrics covering a subject that seems to have been swept along way down the news feeds. Excellent track  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 09:46:28 AM »
@ChrisPrice

Hi Chris, I'm not normally a fan of the blues, but if more of it was like this I would listen more. Just a hint of blues, but some fab chord changes and melody lines.Some of the melody lines were very Jack Bruce like which is a good thing in my book. All the playing was very assured with a light touch, really enjoyed it.

Excellent!

Jamie

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 12:01:30 PM »
Hola @ChrisPrice

Wow! Great, great song. I enjoyed the color of your voice on this style. Wonderful lyrics.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 06:59:41 PM »
Fantastic blend of guitar tones.  Really well written lyrics set to an immediately accessible melody.  Super accomplished from start to finish!  What more can I say?

Well done @ChrisPrice

Paul

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 12:28:46 AM »
Really nice production here. Love the harmonies and where they are placed. Nice placement of the lead vocal as well.

Strong message.

Great guitar work in the solo.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 11:50:15 AM »
I`m also usually allergic to the blues but this is terrific @ChrisPrice .That chord sequence in the chorus/bridge is superb. Excellent vocals & love the guitar. Thoughtful lyrics too. Top song.  :)

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 03:39:40 PM »
@ChrisPrice  when I read your little intro to the track I thought, wow these are some weighty subjects how on earth do you cover that in a little over 3 minutes, yet this is incredibly successful, it’s melodic and hooky, I wouldn’t have thought that possible considering the subject, yet you’ve framed the issue cleverly... I’m not really a blues fan, but I really like this, it’s got a great vibe and I like that solo too.... top stuff!👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 10:34:25 PM »
Yeah! Bring back the guitar solo I say :D
Well done on this - lyrically and musically.
It's sad how many drown crossing the sea for a better life.
I wrote a similar song called 900 souls a few years back.

Solid work = good song :D
Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 04:23:48 PM »
What a great song this is. Reminded me a lot of Creedence Clearwater Revival...who were, of course, ace. Biggest band in the States, at one point, I believe.

Great lyric...super guitar sound and playing. I loved how you spooned that phrase out in the solo around 2:15...I thought that was masterful. Quality vocals too.

Real quality writing, recording and performing!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 07:11:47 PM »
Wow..... Love the verses melody and blues swing..... And the production is top notch!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 02:47:15 PM »
Hi @ChrisPrice
I think this is the first blues I've heard on here! This is excellent as others have said.Really well written lyrics and melody and of course the solo is the cherry on this particular musical cake. You are pushing your vocal just enough to make it believable and raw like the blues should be. I really enjoyed this from start to finish. Bravo sir!
M