The Go-to Guy

• 17 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: April 10, 2021, 06:40:39 PM »
Hello

This started with me feeling nostalgic about the lack of cowbells in modern music. They used to be such a common thing with drummers in the 70s...but seem now sadly neglected. My last song was a little mellow and so I thought I'd better get back to angry...I don't want anyone to think I might be "on the turn" as Albert Steptoe might have described it  :)

Take the lyrics or leave them...I can't entertain that BBC, Sky/C4 News, CNN/Fox rubbish. Chuck RT in there too...a shitshow, the lot of 'em.

I also made some pictures to take your mind off the music, if that helps...

The Go-to-Guy

If you’re much mistaken
There for the taking
Permanently shaken but not stirred
If you don’t want choices
Or dissenting voices
This could well be all you’ve ever heard

Don’t wanna know so you don’t ask why
Nodding your head but you know it’s a lie
That’s what you get when you go to the Go to Guy

Get a nice back-hander
For their propaganda
Did you even understand a single word they said
Can we stop pretending
This is ever ending
Screeching preaching teaching talking heads

It was what you needed
So you begged and pleaded
Sucked it up and swallowed every single line
When your brain’s vacation
Needs some vindication
These guys gonna fit you up just fine

Don’t wanna know so you don’t ask why
Nodding your head but you know it’s a lie
That’s what you get when you go to the Go to Guy

If you feel in the dark which you need to deny
They got a never ending supply
You got to go have a word with the Go to Guy

You could think for yourself give it a try
Or wave at the truth as it’s passing you by
You’ll be glad you avoided the Go to Guy...

Aren't cowbells great?
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 07:08:54 PM »
Ah ! the cowbell - Sadly missed. You're right of course @PaulAds there should be lots and lots more songs with cowbells. I really liked the lyrics - Gritty observations of the mass media. The music is great, such drive and a brilliant sharp rhythm guitar sound. The riff reminded me of something and strangely enough as I have just been clearing out the loft and have all my vinyl stacked up ready to be put in boxes, the album at the front of the pile was "Setting Sons" by The Jam - Only £3.06 from HMV apparently. Anyway, this song reminded me of the track "Saturdays Kids" from that album - Musically, not lyrically. Anyway, I think that you've got another monster track here Paul - Certainly a rich haul from the FAWM experience. Loved it  :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 07:22:53 PM »
Insightful and cutting lyrics, which I'm always gonna love.. LOVE back-hander/propaganda... I'm such a near-rhyme nerd, but I find they excite me in a kind of irrational way ;D ;D ;D  .. Great movement and drive to the track.. Love the groove.. fab vocals.. I think I generally love all you produce, particularly the pithy angry stuff..

HUGE thumbs up from me!

Off for another spin.. :)

K

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 12:12:39 PM »
Hola @PaulAds

It was a surprise to see your YouTube video !!! I love the vintage pop rock rhythm that you have achieved, it enhances the content of the lyrics.

Stay safe

Mora - Onacarom Music
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:20:50 PM by moraamarolaloba »
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »
Hi @PaulAds, yes I was very pleased there that nobody died in this song. I am trying to stay ahead of you on the body count in songs front, although you are probably currently ahead. But you missed your chance here to pull away!  ;D

I liked the video. I couldn’t tell if the chorus icon was a pile of shit or a chocolate Mr Whippy! But I’m a fan of Bob the Builder, so that certainly worked for me.

Fab song anyway in loads of ways. Proper driving rhythm, some sweet chords and neat guitar breaks. Signature barbed lyrics with lots of interest in there, punchy but not too overstated. Even the cowbell was understated actually, you could have brought in a whole army of cowbells at the end. I am sure there are many of them discarded in attics and garages etc that people would be willing to donate, shame they’re going to waste. Anyway a song with bite that shows you’re not going entirely soft after all. Proper foot tapper, nearly had me off the sofa...but not quite  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »
The Jam has already been mentioned. Maybe a hint of Costello. This goes back to a musical period that I very much enjoyed. Nice crunchy guitar style around some nice chords and a great bass. I like the lyrics even if I don't understand them! They sound angry which is right for this. Yes, the cowbell! Really enjoyed this one. :)

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 04:05:52 PM »
Seriously good guitar tone! LOVING the cowbell. And this mix really takes no prisoners.

Fantastic lyrics.

Get a nice back-hander
For their propaganda

Yeah.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 06:34:43 PM »
I f*cking love a cowbell, awesome to hear em up front!

Another cracking tune incisively spearing the pricks and the idiots putting em' there.

The solo is really awesome. Production tip top guitar driven rock as ever, you're playing has got tighter but still lively over recent years and just sounds super.

All coming out of a singing sh*t.
Love it!

Melusine2

• Open Mic
    • Crowdfunding Melusine Web Page
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 08:19:28 PM »
Hello Paul :), sounds really good ! Love the riffs, and the sounds of the song, Great and Catchy !
Lyrics that can't let you neutral :) , I enjoyed this one :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 03:05:43 PM »
Hi @PaulAds Ah, the cowbell! Can't remember the last time I heard one in modern music so well done for bringing it back to life. It amuses me that I always have to turn my speakers down when one of your songs is playing. How do you get it so saturated with it sounding over compressed or clipping?
The observational wit and visceral criticism are excellent; I think they are your go-to setting as a songwriter and boy, are you good at it!
Great playing, production and arrangement from your seemingly bottomless well of ideas.
M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 03:54:19 PM »
@PaulAds

Hi Paul, I've got an old cow bell I've never used, I think some random drummer left it here some years ago. Might have to dust it down and do a cover of Honky tonk wimmin.... :o. You sing with such passion and your playing and mixing is super tight on this one, sounds great, love the drum sound particularly. Like @MichaelA I'm surprised that no one dies in this one ;D. I think you two are looking for McDonalds sponsorship with your Bic Mac bloodbath and Fillet of fish songs ;) ;D :D. Great stuff as ever Paul!

Cheers

Jamie

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 08:58:54 PM »
Ah, a cowbell.. I've missed those! Vox is distinctively "you" (in a good way) and so is the song and lyrics. You have a unique style that really set you apart from the pack (one again in a good way!)
I love the way the last line leads in into the chorus and the guitar solo is suitable "dirty" sounding.
Well done!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 10:02:09 PM »
I just love the guitars on this mate....great chords and playing....quite an upbeat happy sounding song considering the message, which is a fun songwriting trick to use. Great job man and hey you must have some serious clout if you can get Bob the builder to play a solo on your record!🤪😂🎶👍🏻🎶

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 10:45:36 PM »
@PaulAds  where can I sign up to the bring back cowbells petition?! Great catchy hooky song, I really like the lyrics and particularly the chorus, great guitar work and a lovely bass line too! It’s got everything!👍😁👏
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 07:20:53 PM »
Guitar tones that are second to none.  That is exactly what you do best.  Cool guitar tones for your melodic vocal to sit expertly above.  Loving the solo too! Now that you have mastered the video aspect I'll be forever envious.  Lyrically not a word wasted.  Another classic from the funeral crasher!

Paul