Phyllis the Fish

• 31 Replies

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 07:48:26 PM »
Extraordinary words to really catchy song. No cits from me. I think this is really well crafted and I enjoyed it. :)

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 10:38:46 PM »
@MichaelA  what a cheeky little number! Some very funny clever lyrics... and yet I’m gutted for Phyllis, tell me this isn’t the fin-ish? That some plaice there’s a happy ending?! Ahem... nice work!😁👍
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 08:45:57 AM »
Hi folks, some more great and useful feedback in the last batch. I have now got nine other forum members joining in on the sing-a-long choir for the last choruses. Still time for anyone else to join, details here:

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18356.0

@tboswell , thanks really useful feedback. Well, 'the fish' as a name for Phyllis is just one of those slightly blunt names we used to dish out to kids when I was young, where I grew up anyway. We'd have Barry the Brains, who was clever. Kevin the Cat, who was an agile goalkeeper. Then there was Willy the Wanker. But I don't remember what he was good at.  ;) Good point on the vox level. As I write lyric-first songs I am always worried that people won't hear the story. But I've lowered the level a bit anyway, plus increased the sound of the drums just a bit too- although I'm not really a drums person. Many thanks.

@Jamie, yeah one of my choir members said he kept singing Fillet of Fish by mistake! Cheers for the listen and encouragement! ;)

@Rightly, thanks very much!

Hi Leo, @LostBoy , really useful feedback thanks. I'm sure I am going tone deaf as I get older  ;) Never mind, thanks for being brave enough to call out my sins - I've swapped around some of that using the better bits. Cool. I'm going to stick with the 'obsessed ya' bit though as I've already had four submissions from other forum members for the sing-along choir at the end - see above, with five more to come. If you fancy joining in I would love to have your brilliant vocals helping mine to sound a bit more sunny! Just a thought, cheers  ;) I've turned down the vox a bit too, thanks.

Hi @ChrisPrice thank for the listen, also @man made material too - Good Cod man, those are terrible puns! Ha ha!  ;D

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:37:51 AM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 11:07:24 AM »
Haha! Yes! Great idea...I would love to be part of the gang on the chorus.😁👍🏻 PM me with the details mate.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 07:16:43 PM »
I love to hear writers, exploring new territory and handling the subject matter with style.  This is exactly what you have done her e@Michael.  Super rhyming couplets set to the quirkiest of lyrics and a super melody.  I loved singing this yesterday morning before setting off for a walk around Brighton.  Guess what, I found myself singing this repeatedly on my journey.  This has to be a good sign.  Beautiful musical backdrop to support this thoroughly engaging song!

Paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 11:19:54 PM »
Hi folks, the sing-a-long choir is now live. Thanks to @NeilC. @5 guys named Lars, @PaulAds, @pompeyjazz, @MonnoDB, @Jack Simmons @Wicked Deeds and @LostBoy for joining in, some of you with extra harmonies and octave tracks beyond my simple comprehension. So together, we sounded like a lot more than nine voices. I tried to ensure everybody was 'heard' in the mix, but the result of so many people singing the same thing is that people blend in more than I had imagined they would. But without your brilliant individual efforts this wouldn't have been possible, so I am grateful for your team efforts. A great bit of forum togetherness I think! I applaud you all, and so should others I think!

Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/phyllis-the-fish

All the best, all.  ;)

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 08:55:56 AM »
Rather like it. It has an air of English eccentricity about it in the same way Robyn Hitchcock does.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 09:37:56 AM »
Yesssss!!! The choir worked a treat!! Excellent work everyone and well mixed Michael.🎉🎶👊🏻🎶🎉😁

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 07:11:57 PM »
Hey Michael, what fun.  You've got a great way of combining humour with tragedy.  Really enjoyed this and was also thinking "Fillet of Fish" while listening!  The crowd vocals work a treat.
It's all too beautiful.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 07:22:49 PM »
Hi Michael,

The outro singalong works great and is mixed perfectly.

A well written and smart song - had Mrs D singing along at the end - which had me torn as she usually has shocking taste in music, so I was troubled to discover she liked something I do.  :D

Quirky but inspired.

Digger

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 08:18:13 AM »
Your music always sits so well with the lyrics @MichaelA  and both are marvellous on this song. The choir idea at the end works a treat. After recording my warbling I spent a whole day with the chorus as an earworm,headworm & brainworm all in one...its terrifically catchy. Another super song @MichaelA . :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 11:42:51 PM »
Thanks all, as the choir finale seems to have been well received both here, and amongst other private listeners away from the forum.

@pompeyjazz, well thanks for all these fish puns. Cod only knows what I’d be without you!

Cheers @estreet, yeah English eccentricity is right up my street actually. Thanks for the listen!

@LostBoy, cool, thanks for your choir contribution too. A miracle that we all sound pretty damn good together, ha ha  ;D

@MonnoDB , thanks Karen. The mixing was the easy bit, getting over poor Phyllis is obviously a lot harder.

@PaulyX , thanks very much, and nice to see you around again! 👍

@digger72 , it seems to me like your missus is a woman of fine taste! You should listen to her far more often if I were you! 😀

@5 guys named Lars , cheers again Chris for your sing-a-long bit. If it wasn’t in Danish I could have actually used it. Maybe next time! 😉 but actually, thanks for noticing I’m changing styles/accompaniments a bit, depending on the lyrics. I hadn’t noticed that, but it’s bloody good surely? Wow!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2021, 11:37:06 AM »
@MichaelAlimb

Good morning Michael.  This is a brilliant soundscape and a a wonderful playful concept.  I'm impressed how your vocal soars above the mix. Garageband is a great DAW for sure and you have utilise it to great effect here.  I think it is testament to the quality of your song that so many have agreed to join the encores section. Extremely accomplished.  I was singing this all around Brighton soon on the afternoon once my contribution was recorded on the morning.  That says it all really.

Paul