Pirate Grin

• 12 Replies

estreet

• Solo Gig
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:03:26 AM »
I haven't been here in several years - I still recognise a few names though. Although (until lockdown), I've still been busy as a musician and written lots of instrumental music for various reasons I rarely write songs these days. At the time I was posting a lot here, I had a fairly busy original band but as anyone that has done it will know that's a whole lot of work and emotional stress especially when you are running it alongside doing the other stuff you have to do to make a living from music. It was that band that gave me a reason to write and I sort of drifted into the feeling that there is so much music out there fighting to be heard that the world doesn't really need more of it from me. I'm not crying into my beer about it - it's fine. I'll come up with something when I have an idea. I posted one 2 or 3 years ago and here's a somewhat tongue-in-cheek thing I came up with yesterday ... Warning - it is a bit of a racket lol.

PIRATE GRIN

I'm standing here at the doorway
And I've got something to say
You can try and ignore me
And pray that I'll go away

With my pirate grin, my pirate grin
I can't come in with my pirate grin
I'm mean and nasty and full of sin
And I can't come in with my pirate grin

Cain took a rock and slew Able
And cast him down to the ground
Now he can't sit at the table
Cos' God don't want him around

With his pirate grin, his pirate grin
Don't know where he's going but they know where he's been
He's got to stay out, he can never come in
He's got to keep on walking with his pirate grin.

Solo

Repeat Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/user-837362771/pirate-grin
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 02:48:39 PM »
Hi there, love the big reverby drums, the tremeloed guitars and the Peter Gunn twang of that insistent riff.  I also liked the lyrics a lot - irreverent and clever.  Nice wah-wah solo too, and a interesting finish that does mess around, while still being a little unexpected. The heavily effected vocals might divide opinion I guess but worked for me, lending things more of an indie vibe. Enjoyed it and not much to suggest to improve it!
It's all too beautiful.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 06:51:45 PM »
I can imagine this going down really well live. Definitely my cup of tea! I think it might actually benefit from being a tad faster but otherwise I reckon this is a great song. Love it!! :)

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 08:02:25 PM »
I can imagine this going down really well live. Definitely my cup of tea! I think it might actually benefit from being a tad faster but otherwise I reckon this is a great song. Love it!! :)

Interesting you should say about the speed - I was wondering the same. Thanks for your input.

LilPeeper

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 09:44:30 PM »
Really impressed with the guitar and all the music on this one. The verses feel far stronger than the chorus to me. I just feel like the "pirate grin" phrase is overused and more could've been done with the chorus to add some variety. I did prefer the second chorus though. Amazing outro - is it wrong that it reminded me a little of Toto's Africa intro? And I mean that as a compliment as I freaking LOVE that tune!

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 09:33:27 AM »
@estreet Cool rocker, kind of reminds of Johnny Kid and the Pirates! It's a loud one ( I had to turn down my volume :) ) Some great guitar playing and I love the treated vocals. Perhaps the tremolo guitar could be moved back in the mix slightly, but overall a fun, rocking track.

Kevin

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »
@estreet

Hi, liked the Peter Gunn style guitar that worked well. A familiar soundscape but with enough little deviations so's not to be too familiar. I found the vocal a little low in the mix but apart from that very nicely done! I too thought it could have been speeded up a bit...

Nice one!

Cheers

Jamie

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 12:26:23 PM »
Hola @estreeet

I love the color of the track and the effect of the voice, they give it a special atmosphere, and the treatment you have given to the instrumentation with the nFX so well applied is very well achieved.
Nice job
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

OleAnders

• Busker
  • Ole Anders Walseth
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 02:37:07 PM »
Love the production of the instrumental. Placement of instrument and balance in general. Great work. Nice rythm section at the end.

I would increase the volume of the vocals a bit as they are a bit low in the mix, and maybe add some filter to distort them or make them just slightly more gritty.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 09:22:57 AM »
this is fun lost of menace
very cool
sound of the guitar is great, and of course the driving bass
nice one
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 12:08:57 AM »
Thanks for taking the trouble to listen all. I have modified it a little taking account of some of the comments. It's a bit faster, the vocals are louder and there's a few other tweaks including a little bottleneck guitar.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 07:38:42 AM »
Cool sounds and a fun lyric make for an enjoyable listen. I thought the guitars were a slightly odd mix of vintage and modern...in that they sounded very 60s generally, but the solo sounded very modern and the tremolo seemed to be overtaken by a more up to date kind of stutter effect?

I could, of course, be talking bobbins...and it doesn’t matter anyway...I’m just rambling.

Great stuff either way...keep knocking them out...band or not!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 02:17:35 PM »
Lovely riff love it! The spring reverb too! This is hooky as hell..... And the wah wah jeez great!!