Phyllis the Fish

• 31 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: April 09, 2021, 03:48:37 PM »
I've not had much time for music in recent weeks, but I had a couple of days this week when I finally got round to having a dabble!  ;) Took a while, many false starts,  but the end result is this tragic tale of a sweet girl named Phyllis...a very good swimmer by all accounts. Just a bit of entertainment, nothing too deep...except the water...

Anyhow, not sure if I should put some harmonies on it to help with the sing-a-long chorus. Plus not sure if the vocal level is too high or not...need to listen with fresh ears. Finally. there's quite a lot of busy synths in there at times. I might have got carried away, but was enjoying finding quirky sounds at the synth sweet shop so couldn't resist.  ;)

Any erudite comments, or comments of any type, are welcome of course. I'm sure there'll be a few amends...Here she is, as is:

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/phyllis-the-fish

Lyrics:

Phyllis the Fish

She was the best swimmer at university
Yet In the shallow end she took a shine to me
Then as she coaxed me to discard my water wings
I practiced breast stroke while she dreamt of wedding rings
Though me and Phyllis surely lacked a chemistry
She warned you can’t deny destiny

Goodbye,  Phyllis the fish
Remember your wish
That love would bless you
Goodbye, Phyllis the fish
Should have been kissed
As love caressed you
Passion obsessed you, goodbye

She said for me she’d swim the reservoir of ice
I said no need for that, I suggested she think twice
But to prove love she said who dares wins
She stuck a pose I swear, flexing dorsal fins
Though our doomed love swam against the tide
Phylis swore she’d be my bride

CHORUS

Then came the day when we all gathered by the icy lake
She cried I’m swimming this for you and for our love’s sake
And people patted me on the back and hollered, how they cheered
Until she disappeared
Poor Phyllis lost for eternity
I heard the crowd sing with me

CHORUS

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 05:08:18 PM »
Hello @MichaelA OMG! A song about a swimmer who drowned for love. That's a first for me. "Flexing dorsal Fins" is hysterical and "cheered until she disappeared" is great too. In fact, the lyrics are clever and funny. Lots of interesting synth sounds and you've managed to come up with feel of cold water. I don't quite know how you've done that.
Funny, clever, effective. Is there anything more to say?
M

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 05:58:37 PM »
@MichaelA - this is brilliant!!! Great lyrics.. spectacular... "They cheered.. until she disappeared" is genius .. Synths give a great watery sound... very clever..

Vocal level sounds fine to me.. not that I can easily tell with my own ;) ..

I completely would go all in on the last chorus... Not only harms but if you can get a gang to be the crowd singing along with you, I think it would be fab..

Fantastic song... as always super clever.. there are so many crackers in your collection, this is right up with the very best..

K

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:06:58 AM »
Phillis the Fish - what great assonance in that hook.
Really liked this one - like others have said - you put us in the water (somehow) and we came out .. invigorated!
Super vocals and although I don't usually like synths - great synths :D

Paul

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 12:45:27 AM »
A classic Michael A. Duffy song!

She struck a pose I swear, flexing dorsal fins

Brilliant.

Not bad....for a mere dabble.  8)

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 10:18:33 AM »
@MichaelA  Clever song, well written and performed. Backing vocals in the chorus would add?

Kevin

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 02:29:15 PM »
Fintastic @MichaelA I love that "Breathing apparatus" synth sound. In fact there's a whole range of clever sub-aquatic squelchy synth stuff going down. You always tell a great story, usually with a twist  :) The vocals sound well placed to me but I'm sure that i heard the sound of a brick cutter at some point  ;D More than happy to contribute to the waterside rent-a-mob final chorus

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 04:55:20 PM »
Great lyrics and a watery grave...excellent!

My wife and I met a couple on holiday who were both what used to be called "deaf and dumb" which now sounds really terrible, but wasn't thought of as any kind of insult. Neither was the name given to the light blue three-wheeled disabled cars that some folks would drive when I were a lad. You couldn't get away with it now...and that's just one of the reasons why the world is a better place these days than the shit place we all remember from years ago  ;)

Anyway, they latched on to my wife and I and followed us everywhere we went...as we wandered around Rome and Florence, it was like being tailed by a couple of comically inept Eastern European spies...or that thing where they reckon that certain countries security services try to intimidate witnesses by constantly getting in their faces and up their noses in an obvious fashion so they become paranoid and appear a little crazy and unreliable...anyway, the guys wife kept telling me that "Tony's a very good swimmer" as we sat by the pool, three to a sun lounger, and I thought it odd that he never actually went in the pool. No wonder, because when he did eventually jump in for a swim, he thrashed about that much, you could have thrown your washing in with him and had it done in no time, before he desperately doggy-paddled back to safety, gasping for air. A "very good swimmer" my arse.

Great fun song, Michael...I'm looking forward to being part of the crowd...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 10:57:57 AM »
Thumbs up from fischermans to Phyllis the Fish. Had a nice listen, thanks for this.
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 12:14:34 PM »
Hola @MichaelA

Your song is very easy to follow, it has a very natural musical logic. I love its sweetness.

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 02:03:40 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the early feedback. Really useful, especially since the song will now develop following @MonnoDB ’s cool idea to have a crowd singing the last chorus. You might have seen I have been encouraging recruits for this on the Collaborations board. Nine forum members have very kindly signed up already, so come and join in on the fun if you fancy it!  ;D

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18356.0

Anyway...

Thanks @montydog, funnily enough a song about a tractor was a first for me too 😉 Glad you enjoyed it and for the encouraging words 👍

@MonnoDB, I think you always like my songs if someone dies in them, or there’s some other tragedy. I do think you might have a quiet dark side Karen that must be fed, ha ha 😀 but thanks for the great support and smashing idea about the last chorus.

@paulski, thanks, it’s great to hear you liked the synths even though they are not really your bag. Nothing like a cold water bath after all 👌

@Unclenny , thanks for that...Yep I suppose the song is a bit typical of what I do. I had much fun doing it though and this is a good thing for me, what with all the other less happy stuff going on in the world and in our lives. Cheers for the comments.

Hi @kevysc great, thanks for that 😀

Hi @pompeyjazz very funny about the brick cutter noise! 😀 For anyone who wasn’t on the Friday Zoom we have builders in next door making a right racket. So I knew I had to record the vocals between 1pm and 2pm when the pause for a lunch break. Phew, just made it! But yeah John, glad you appreciated the watery synth sounds which I enjoyed mucking about with.

Hi @PaulAds , very entertaining holiday story, you should write a book...thanks for the support though and see you in the choir, thanks 👍

Thanks too to @fischermans, a perfect song for you maybe 😉 and to @moraamarolaloba for the nice comments.

Anyhow, I’d love to see anyone else who wants to join in on the forum choir for the finale to this song 👏

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 07:56:13 PM »
Though I am not sure anyone wants to be remembered as the "fish" (mermaid maybe) I like the song very much.
Rich imagery and a wistful looking back feel that really works in the lyric and is supported but the music.

Production wise I feel the voice is a little too up front. It sounds great but just swamps (sorry!) everything else. There is some great synth work throughout I'd love to hear more and the drums are way way back, almost completely lost in the mix.
Love the synth following the melody in the chorus, a great trick I have never manage to do.

This is super listen with a nice belle and seb sort of feel to it I love.
Thanks for posting it!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »
@MichaelA

H Michael, I recall you said on Friday night you did this in a few takes, well as I said at the time, it doesn't sound like it. Brilliant lyric, as usual. You and @PaulAds  have got the death and destruction market covered ;D ;). As I said in another review the two of you are looking for Macdonalds sponsorship with the Big Mac Bloodbath and now the 'Fillet of fish' song.... 8).

Nice one !

Cheers

Jamie

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 05:55:13 PM »
top song
really well executed
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 06:41:37 PM »
Hello mate, this is classic you!! Super catchy chorus that me and my kids are gonna be singing for days!!😆 (ta for that!!😜)

I really enjoyed it mate...was that a recorder in there somewhere??😆👍🏻

In terms of friendly advice the "passion obsessed ya" is rushed...cos it has to be...I wonder if u could come up with something that flows better there?👍🏻😁

The vocal to my ears is a bit too loud mate.

At 2.44 "Goodbye" needs a little light tuning mate and the last three "Phyllis's" need tuning aswell...or simply swapping with any of the other brilliant ones....its the "Phyl" that's a touch flat mate.

Anyhoo...I hope your not offended by me pointing that out...heaven knows I have to tune every song I record....🤦🏼‍♂️😁👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Great stuff as always Michael.🎶👊🏻🎶