Supanova

• 15 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« on: April 07, 2021, 09:13:45 PM »
Hi guys,

I’m a sucker for the 80’s as u may well know. I found some loops that turned me on and went about writing this song...I know some of the lyrics are a bit crap, but it is the best I can do for now.🤷🏼‍♂️😆

I am currently in a “I hate all my mixes” phase, so please kindly point out whatever sounds dodgy & I’ll fix it.

All thoughts are welcome & thanks for your time.
Leo

https://soundcloud.com/leo-b-5/supanova-1

Lyrics.
Lost in a wilderness I cried
Broken and hungry like the wolf
Through her kaleidoscope of lies
I couldn’t see the truth
But there in my darkest hour
You came and took my hand.

I can feel your energy
Going supanova
Worlds explode
as you crash into me
It feels like home
You’re a cosmic symphony
Straight from science fiction
My religion
Faith meets fantasy
It feels like home.

Cinema smiles and teardrop eyes
I drank too deep that poison well
She had another on the side
So my ship of fools set sail
But on the horizon
You were shining like the sun.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:16:04 PM by LostBoy »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 09:33:17 PM »
Some fabulous 80s synth sounds there @LostBoy There's one riff that is very Yazoo like. I love the way that you've put this together and your vocals are fabulous as ever. One thing that grabbed me was the drop out, it was kind of unexpected and then when it started again it seemed to lose some energy. Maybe a single snare hit or boom to restart might work ? Anyway,  a fabulous song

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 11:41:31 AM »
Hi @LostBoy,
Great synth riff - nothing wrong with the mix as far as I can tell. The lyrics are probably the weakest part here - they are not bad, just a little uninspired compared to the excellence of your delivery and the lovely musical setting. It definitely has a 80's vibe which is now, 40 years later starting to sound the last great decade for chart music.
Excellent track, nothing I'd change (except maybe some lyrics but they are certainly up there with most 80's pop songs)
M

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 11:12:29 AM »
@LostBoy  man! This is right up my strasse! Absolutely love those 80’s synths👌... but there’s great hooks and melodies here too, loads of great details and a brilliant vocal... can I have it on 12” vinyl please?.. ok, so there might be a touch of cheese about it, but it’s a damn fine vintage of cheddar... absolutely love it... I think my favourite song I’ve heard on the forum... gush, gush, love, love... play on repeat👌👌👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 11:26:08 AM »
I wanted to listen to the other new stuff on the forum that people have put up, but your track has got it’s claws in me and I’m buzzing! I can’t listen to anything else at the moment and I need another fix! Grrrr!!!

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 11:33:32 AM »
I’ve even had to share the link to my mates... love it!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 04:34:35 PM »
@pompeyjazz thanks very much John....that’s a good idea about the break...I’ll look into it. 😄🎶👊🏻🎶

@montydog Thank you Alan, I appreciate that and totally agree about the lyrics.🤦🏼‍♂️😆 I’m trying to hide behind the idea that it’s supposed to be 80’s cheese...🤣

@man made material Ah man! Well your feedback has totally made my day! 🥳 I realise that this style song is perhaps “musical marmite” (great band name right there!🤣) but I’m really chuffed that someone enjoys it THAT much. So thank you very much mate, I really appreciate it and yes it is intentionally cheesey, although I do feel with a bit more effort It could have been less “babybel” & a little more interesting like “Stinky Bishop”!!🧀👍🏻🧀🤣🤣 cheers again mate!😄🎶👊🏻🎶

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 01:41:39 AM »
@LostBoy I might have said this before but it ought to be illegal how much talent you have (I still can't get one of your previous songs out of my head - Neon Socks was my favourite song on the forum last year and I still listen to it now).

This one reminds of Yazoo (some of the synth has hints of Don't Go to my ear). Another cracker!

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 11:07:06 AM »
There comes good memories of the 80's and the Pet shop boys while listening. Thank you for this. Very well done. Congrats sounds radio friendly to me. I personally like it very much.
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 08:16:59 PM »
Wow, love those 80s synth sounds. Didn't like them at the time but now they sound really good to me and you've recreated that sound so well.

The vocal is perfect, especially love the care taken in the "it feels like home" line treating it differently and giving the production a really classy touch. Tears for the Fears would have done that!

Nothing to critique, release quality and joyous to hear as always.
Talented boy!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 04:21:05 PM »
@LostBoy

Hi Leo, yes I got the early Depeche Mode/Yazoo vibe too. Brilliant vocals and the synths are super authentic to the genre/era. You could sing anything and make it sound good...... (B*****d... ;D ;))

Cheers ;)

Jamie

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
Nothing wrong with the mix to my ears, great vox (as we are used to hear from you) and some really tasty 80-ish sound. No nits from me, one to be proud of!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 09:41:13 AM »
Hi @LostBoy, well there is bound to be an 80s revival soon and when it happens you will be a top contender to take the retro crown. Another commercial smash from your camp.

Not being very subtle I might put an explosion in, or something, as you come out of the break. But this one flows really well with lots of colour and texture throughout. Vocals are OK I suppose, maybe about 9.9 on 10  ;)

I really liked that compositional technique in the chorus, changing the length and rhythm of the lines...made it really catchy and took it far away from predictability too. Nice work our 80s Maestro  ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 12:55:08 PM »
Hola @LostBoy

I recognize those sounds, the color of that era that I like so much too. Your track is elegant and balanced, I like the voice and the lyrics are fantastic. As for the mix ... Sounds very good to me, everything is in its plane.

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 07:31:28 PM »
@LostBoy, the eighties was my decade and I have subsequently found myself trying to escape the influence of that time.  It was a time for great songs but I never really liked the production values associated with this decade.   I tell myself that it's ok to have this influence as long as the melody and lyrics are top drawer. This is exactly what you have delivered.  A time goes by I'm starting to relax this approach and it is great to see that you have gone all in.  Your vocal as ever, is outstanding.  This is melodic writing of the highest calibre.  Well done Leo!

Paul