International Harvester (Full Version) Updated

• 21 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: April 07, 2021, 12:59:59 AM »
Hi,

Those of you who heard my bare demo of this might be interested to hear what I've done with it. If you haven't heard it, the link is at the bottom after the lyrics. All feedback gratefully received.

For your information, "International Harvester" is an American company who make tractors, earth moving equipment, plant etc. Audi Murphy was a Hollywood star in the 1940's and 50's. He was the most decorated soldier in the US Army in WW2.

The song is about inertia, lack of courage, lost dreams, lost opportunities and the sadness of things that could have been but were lost by a slight of chance.

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/international-harvester-full-version

Old International Harvester
Standing in the yard
Hasn't ploughed a single wheat field
Since Audi Murphy was a star
Now you're standing in the sunshine
Wondering where it all went wrong
Looking for the answers
In the bars of this old song

Blossom falls on dirt roads
Gets ground into dust
Steel ticking in the soft heat
Gently turning into rust
Somewhere over your head
In the silver shining sky
A thought you held for ever
Goes softly sliding by

You could leave here if you wanted
Pile your life in Dad's old car
But everywhere is just the same
You could never go that far
You've never said the words out loud
That would make it all too real
You don't have the strength to say
How empty you feel

He's sitting in the willow tree
Spring song sung out loud
Nothing but young and free
With the beauty of his sound
It's so good to be alive
In the glory of this day
Lift your head up, turn around
Find new songs to play

There's an old man in the market square
His life written on his skin
He said don't waste a single thought
On the ways that might have been
When years have past and time's all gone
Like water through the sand
Don't lie there dumb and bitter
With her letter in your hand

Old International Harvester
Standing in the yard
Hasn't ploughed a single wheat field
Since Audi Murphy was a star
It's still standing in the sunshine
Waiting for the wheels to turn
Empty fields are full of weeds
Can you feel the sadness burn?

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/international-harvester

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 02:36:41 PM by montydog »

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:14:25 AM »
Haven`t any suggestions on the arrangement but just wanted to say how much I like this song. I think the simplicity really compliments the subject matter..its very natural. Great lyrics although I did have to check cos I thought you mentioned Des O`Connor at one point.  :o . Looking forward to hearing how you develop this song but I like it very much at the mo  @montydog .

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:53:40 AM »
@montydog When I first saw the title of this song my immediate thought was "Perhaps Alan's written a song about a tractor ?" Bingo  :) I'm of the same opinion, I love the simplicity of this song and it's also got a vulnerability that is appealing. I reckon whichever way you go arrangement wise it will be excellent  :)

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »
The simplicity here really works, and I think suits your vocal delivery and the lyrics. The  wistful looking back is emphasised by this.
Really enjoyed the imagery you get with the natural settings in the lyrics.

If you were going for arrangement perhaps you could just gentle add to this, enhancing it as it is, rather than align it with click tracks and load it with instruments (I know, I throw the kitchen sink at an arrangement nearly every time!).

There is loads of love about it just as it is. Got the feel of an undiscovered Neil Young song to my ears. Super stuff.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »
@montydog

Hi Alan, Montydog unplugged!  As you know, I'm not that big on lyrics in general and their importance in terms of storytelling, but on this song they really pack a punch. The words have such simplicity and flow that they make the song with the pared back production. I would never leave a song just with guitar and a vocal, but i think you should consider that here. I think it works perfectly as it is. If you were tempted to add to it I wouldn't do much, maybe some strings towards the end, and a harmonica or dobro solo?

Lovely song

Jamie

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 04:56:52 PM »
nice one!
i enjoyed that listen
top lyrics and production as ever
very consistent!

It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 06:26:36 PM »
Hey Alan, was this fishing for compliments? No really your naked song is better produced than a song of mine when it is finished. As always a very good song which is painting a picture.
Only work on the the stumble at 2.58 and the moment you chair is creaking at the end.
Great one.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:34:57 PM by fischermans »
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Veance

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 06:34:27 PM »
I wouldn't change much in this song. Even like this acoustic version. If you would change that, I would at least leave the beginning part of it acoustic and at some point come in full monty with other instruments after a pause . Pauses enough in your song for that. Even a well found guitarsolo with distorted guitar would be in its place at the end or so. And its the way you sing it, that gives your words extra meaning, i think. I hope this last thing made sence...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:36:09 PM by Veance »
nil volentibus arduum

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 05:48:25 PM »
@montydog  this is a beautiful melodic song, there are some really great lines in here, I particularly liked; Steel ticking in the soft heat, Gently turning into rust.... Pile your life in Dad's old car.... There's an old man in the market square, His life written on his skin... those are great lines! You say you would like some ideas for arrangement, but I really like this as it is - right down to the creak of the seat at the end! the guitar work really suits it... I don’t think arpeggiators and a dirty synth bass would improve it!😁 joking aside, really good song👍
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 08:02:08 AM »
Hi Alan, I very much enjoyed these lyrics. I thought it was going to be about a ‘barn find’ old vehicle that has the potential to be renovated to it’s all glorious self. (I’m hoping to find an old Triumph Stag one day!) But then I guess the tractor is a metaphor for things decaying and the story is really about the need to seize opportunities if you can, as time will inevitably slip away...so what have you to lose. This is a very sad reflection on the human condition, but so true and poignant. Great poem in its own right.

I think it’s always good to slip a stripped back number into an album or live set. They work on a more intimate moment, as you’ll know, and sometimes make an honest connection with the listener at a deeper level, ironically, than when we bother with the full dressing. So the simplicity of the arrangement and your assured yet tender vocals is all that this song needs really.

On second listen I tried playing a simple vst cello along with it. (b flat major, never used that key  ;) ) But I preferred it unplugged. I think if I were to develop trying to embellish it I would go for a single instrument but using reverb to create a very ghostly companion somewhere in the distance, to maybe suggest these passing years and life’s transience.

But it’s a very touching song just as it is. Excellent! 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
@montydog Superb set of lyrics and lovely plaintiff melody. Love the way the guitar drops out at the end of the verses. Although your vocal style is different, this sounds like it would make a fantastic Neil Young song!

Production-wise, I think this will become even stronger when you add a little more instrumentation, particularly to widen the sound of the acoustic on it's own. I'd also consider some backing vocals in the bridge. Good as it is now, this could become one of your classics.

Kevin

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 05:51:44 PM »
Audie Murphy...there's a blast from the past.

Kind of wished I'd been able to catch the earlier version of this...as the comments made it sound like I'd have loved it.

Fantastic lyrics...up there with some of your best...and that's a high bar.

A group of us used to go and get half-pissed on a Sunday lunchtime, then go for a walk through the woods and into the country...often doing foolish and ridiculously dangerous stuff...Tommy Peel (RIP) and I climbed on an old tractor once that was left rusting in a field over by the old Whittonstall Drift ambulance track...and I think he knocked the brake off...or dipped the clutch when it was still in gear or something...anyway, the bastard rolled away down the hill with us desperately clinging on...happy days.

This made me think a little of Todd Rundgren's fab "Fade Away" - not because it sounds anything like it...but that's the lovely feel I got from it.

Bravo!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 12:05:19 PM »
Hola @montydog

Beautiful song, as always. This line has enchanted me
"Looking for the answers
In the bars of this old song"

It is beautiful, a portrait of emotion.

Nice arrangement, nothing else is needed, everything is your style

Say safe

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 01:18:54 PM »
Yes, a wonderful song. Nothing I can criticise at all. I find myself agreeing with what's already been said. A great arrangement, good lyrics and a fabulous vocal. Great organ - something I love to hear. And that harmonica...Going to play it again as I enjoyed it so much. :)

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 09:16:56 PM »
Ah, I'm late to the party. Had a listen to the original demo, had a few suggestion but did not get around to comment until now and then I find you have implemented most of the suggestions I had in mind without me telling you... spooky.
Anyway the "full" version is nothing short of fantastic, I have enjoyed your adventures into new music territories latently but this is where you have your super powers. Fantastic vox and the subtle by very effective backing is just stellar. Love the harmonica and the ambient guitar and the cello(?) and... well all of it!
Blown away really.. this almost my fav song of yours second only to I Have Taking To Walking.
Respect!