konalavadome

Something To Say

• 12 Replies

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:38:59 PM »
This one is a fairly straightforward rocker, comments encouraged!

https://www.reverbnation.com/kevinism/song/32566547-something-to-say

Something To Say

Where did you go last night,
Wearing that tight dress?
You left me to stay at home and
Wallow in my mess
I never know as you come and go
If you're staying or you've leaving
But lately I've noticed in the way you behave
Something is brewing, so please tell me

Chorus

If you've got something to say
If you've got something to say to me
If you've got something to say
Just say what you mean

I was never the kind of man
To wear my heart on my sleeve
Always the quiet kind
Still waters that run deep
Happy to watch and happy to wait
And let you have things your own way
But lately I've noticed in the things you don't say
Something is brewing, so please tell me

Chorus

Guitar Break

Chorus

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:59:21 PM »
I have this one up on the speakers here in my office in the morning. I love it when folks poke their heads in to see what the heck I'm listening to.

This is a good one @kevysc . I like that repeating riff....it keeps the song perfectly on track.

Great lyrics...great performances.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 12:55:46 PM »
Hi @kevysc This reminds me of something/someone but I can't place it. For me, your vocal doesn't sit quite right in the mix. The double tracking works very well. The chorus is catchy and the whole song is well recorded and arranged. You have set the bar very high with your recent recordings but I don't think this one is up there with your best. Sorry but honesty is the best policy as my old mum used to say(she lied!)
M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 01:27:07 PM »
@kevysc

Hi, had that Americana feel from the off, made me think a Neil Young song was coming, but it didn't go that way. Nice vocals and guitars. Don't know if it's my set up but the vocals seemed to be coming strongly from one side. On my set up it was the right speaker.
Nice one!

Cheers

Jamie

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:01:12 PM »
very relatable lyrics
suspicion, jealousy
I hope this isn't autobiographical

excellent production!

still, like i said
unnerving
very effective
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 09:27:25 AM »
Hi mate, cracking chorus on this one!👍🏻 I loved all the harmonies, the music sounded great to my ears aswell.
I did think the vocal wasn't quite sat in mix. There was also something in the pre chorus that caught my attention, but I cant tell if it was the melody or the phrasing, but it didn't quite gel with the music to my ears. (Sorry, that's not very clear help.🤦🏼‍♂️....so much for "say what you mean" eh?😆)
Overall I thought it was a cool track. Nice work man.😁🎶👊🏻🎶

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 06:05:52 PM »
@kevysc  wow! This has got a great chorus - love the tight harmonies, vocal treatment and chords - sounds great, nice guitar riff that follows too👍
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 02:37:39 PM »
Yup - Great Americana feeling rocker @kevysc I also got a Neil Young feeling, I think it's that riff. All put together really well and a very enjoyable listen

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 04:24:54 PM »
There seems to be quite a few straight-up traditional rock numbers on the forum just lately...which I'm enjoying a lot.

I know you often get the Bowie comparison, but your voice reminded me a lot of Martin Fry of ABC on this one. Really good song and great vocals...nice guitar flourishes too.

You have great quality control with your material...it's always right up there.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 08:28:29 PM »
Great little rocker, catchy melodies. Some really nice guitar work in places.

For me the production is a little disconnected. The drums are a little far back and would  sound punchier if they worked with the bass a little more, and the riffs rather than be a constant backbeat.
The lead guitar has a little too much reverb for me too.

Really enjoyable listen tho and I agree with @PaulAds on the Martin Fry in your voice. Great stuff.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 09:54:06 AM »
Hi @kevysc great little foot tapper this one, had the sound of a live band in a bar to me. I enjoyed that signature riff, both the tune and the rhythm, and the doubled up vocal helped sell the melody. Yeah I see the ABC thing, but they didn’t rock out quite like this! The chorus was a bit more Thin Lizzy if you ask me  ;D

As you’d built up a great rocking momentum I was maybe expecting an explosive ending, but maybe felt it faded out a little too quickly. Could have listened to more  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 11:48:30 AM »
Hola @kevysc

I enjoyed the song, very descriptive lyrics.
"I never know as you come and go
If you're staying or you've leaving"
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 10:58:12 PM »
Thanks to everyone for listening and for your constructive comments, as always. I have made some minors edits to the vocals, including some subtle lyrical edits ....

@Unclenny Great to imagine my music being belted out in some corporate office! ( I once was able to cast my music on the in-train speaker system while commuting with to work here in Dublin. Great to watch the reactions of the passengers!)

@montydog I wouldn't expect anything other than honesty from you :) As a straightforward rock song, not surprised it's not your favorite, but thanks for listening and commenting

@Jamie Funnily enough, this started as a much slower tempo song in the style of Neil Young! (Checked and my vocals seem to be centered ok.)

@rightly Definitely not autobiographical, but the "where did you go last night, wearing that tight dress" line was the driver on this one .... quite proud of that line, as I really think it sets up the song!

@LostBoy Glad you liked it and you spotted something which was bothering me, but I couldn't put my finger on until I saw your comment: I was definitely rushing through the pre-chorus vocal, so I re-did, including reducing the word count to make it flow better .. many thanks !!!

@man made material  Many thanks, glad you liked it !

@pompeyjazz Many thanks and, as I said above, on my acoustic, it started out as a slow and moody Neil Young type. I actually changed the tempo 3 times during recording!

@PaulAds I always considered Martin Fry as the poor man's David Bowie ( except he was a much better soccer player, apparently) so I will take that as a compliment.

@tboswell I've made some minor changes to the mix which hopefully tie it together better, thanks

@MichaelA  Ah, love Thin Lizzy ... if only! They had some super guitar solos ( although I did copy their double tracking of lead guitar on this one). I'm always conscious of not going on too long ... once you get to 3 minutes, it's usually time to quit :)

@moraamarolaloba Many thanks for listening. There are some subtle touches in the lyrics that I knew you would appreciate :)