konalavadome

Where Are The Angels

• 23 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 06:02:20 PM »
They're all staying up in heaven with their heads in their hands, I'd imagine.

Great vocals and very cool acoustic guitar. I think I said that last time...but you're brilliant at getting that 3-d acoustic sound that blends with your voice so well.

Little lead and electric piano parts are lovely touches as well. Great song!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »
Hola @Unclenny

I liked a lot the guitar and the soft piano of the arrangement. Could sound and sad song. Yes, where are the Angels?

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 04:01:14 PM »
@MichaelA .......got me smiling. Thanks for checking this one out and for your kind words.

@PaulAds .....I appreciate that about the guitar. My new approach to tracking acoustic guitar has me smiling.

@moraamarolaloba .....thank you for coming by for this one, Mora. Please give my warm regards to your co-star.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 09:05:29 PM »
Really nice acoustic playing and I love how you subtly adding additional layers while preserving the "naked" feel of the track.
The vox delivery is a perfect match for the backing (or maybe it is the other way around?)
Agree re the comment about the ending, it comes a little abrupt.
Other than that, no nits from me, fab stuff!

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 10:33:11 PM »
@Unclenny  a very pretty delicate song... there’s a really deft touch with the instrumentation, plenty of space and everything sits together and compliments each other well... the ending does catch me off guard, but it’s a beautifully put together piece 👍
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 11:10:18 PM »
Ok.....so honest thoughts on this are that I like the way you sing man, you have a lovely tone and I enjoyed the “where are the angels” chorus.

The lyrics are fab and very thoughtful.

The mix is nice and clear....but everything is just a little too dry for me. I just feel it needs a little more reverb or something just to give it all a bit more of an atmosphere/glue. I also felt the guitar was too bright and although the counter melodies on phrases like “turn the page” and “don’t know how” are lovely....the guitars brightness/volume? distracts a little.

I also found the five line verse structure distracting in that they end too abruptly for me....kinda kills the flow. I also felt the instrumental from 1.32 to 1.45 needs tidying up a little, the rhythm is off slightly and that whole little section had the right idea, but just ultimately didn’t quite do it for me.

Ok, phew....I realise that’s some pretty brutal feedback, but i hope you take it in the spirit it’s meant. It’s only my opinion and my own songs are far from perfect. I hope that’s of some use to you.

Cheers
Leo 😄🎶👊🏻🎶

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 12:40:02 PM »
@Jambrains .....I appreciate that about the "naked" quality of the track, and about the meshing of the vocals and the guitar. The guitar came first......

@man made material ......thanks for that about the instrumentation. Yeah.....that ending....... :-\  8)

Ok, phew....I realise that’s some pretty brutal feedback

I LOVE it!  8)

I tend to shoot from the hip with my writing and then work up some sort of cohesion as the process goes on. I truly appreciate the kind words from folks about what I end up with but I always see the flaws...always. For instance.....when I first started to really mix this one I did a little trick that I like. I let it play on my headphones but kept the headphones hanging from the desk in front of me. Anything untoward will always stand out.

That guitar was like a sore thumb. I spent hours carefully massaging it.....clip gain automation, compression tweakage, you name it....I always ended back on that guitar track. In the end I knew it was a flaw in the way I played it but there it was. I was happy with the capture so I didn't want to hide it. :)

And, yeah...I tend to be pretty dry and I do get all disjointed with my arrangements at times.

Thanks for that critical and detailed listen @LostBoy ....and for your appreciation. That's what this is really all about. We can make each other better.  8)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 01:28:34 PM »
Phew....good man! I'm glad u took it the right way.😁 that's a cool trick with the headphones...I've not done it that way before....I've listened at low volumes and and from another room, but never through the headphones when they are off.😁👍🏻
As for only hearing the flaws....I am exactly the same mate....i can hear mistakes in every song I've ever written and have even gone back years later to fix that one or two things that bug me everytime i listen. It's a great way to be if you can at some point accept that you've done your best and accept it where its at....that's the tough part for me.

Cheers again mate.🎶👊🏻🎶😁

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 12:11:56 PM »
Hey @LostBoy ......I just pulled this tune back up and massaged that guitar a bit. I hit it pretty hard with a high shelf cut. I like the results,

Thanks for that, man.  8)

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14225576