The Headline / News story challenge

• 67 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: April 03, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
Yesterday evening on the Zoom call, @ChrisPrice @Wicked Deeds @PaulAds and myself were kicking around some ideas for a new songwriter challenge. I think that everyone enjoyed the Alien Genre challenge last year and the addition of the "Spinning wheel of fate" gave the challenge additional impetus and interest.

So, just kicking this off for input - Nothing has been decided yet, but the loose idea was to select a number of "Headlines" or News stories that we could add to the spinning wheel and then allocate one to each participant - The challenge would be to write a song to the particular headline or story allocated to you !!

I would dust down the spinning wheel and we could allocate the stories "live" on the Zoom call on Friday 16th April

Who's in ???

As I say, this is just a loose idea at the moment so any ideas on how to run this show would be much appreciated

Cheers

John

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:42:28 AM »
Really like this idea...hopefully we can get a dozen or so who are up for having a crack at it 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 10:55:21 AM »
Sounds interesting. Count me in.  :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 12:36:36 PM »
This sounds like a great idea and might be just what I need to get writing again

Count me in!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 12:58:29 PM »
Yes,  we had a good discussion about this last night and I think there is great mileage in this to increase participation amongst forum members.  Are we doing this as individuals or are we teaming up with cowriters.  Perhaps we could do a combination i.e. write our own entry and also submit a collaboration.  I'm definitely up for this and urge as many people as possible to get on bard with this project.

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 01:06:37 PM »
@Boydie  If there is an option for a collaboration on this, I would love to work alongside you.  It think perhaps it's long overdue for you and I to write together.  I'm happy to write lyrics to your musical backing.  Maybe you could write to mine.  Alternatively, we could take turns to write contrasting sections of the song to compliment the finished product. You or I could  sing or perhaps we could share vocal duties.  However you would like to approach this would be welcome to me.  I'm happy to be guided by you.

Sen  me a PM if you'd like to do this.

Paul

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 07:52:07 PM »
I failed to deliver the goods on the stolen riff competition so I better get my ass into gear this time! I'm in:)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 09:18:06 PM »
Great 👍 Looks like 6 in already. Roll up, roll up. It's going yo be a fascinating challenge and a bit of fun 😀

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 10:47:57 PM »
2020 was indeed a dull year. Until the incredible spinning wheel came along to bring much needed excitement. So, without the spinning wheel I am out. But with the amazing spinning wheel’s inclusion who could be out? Not me! So I am definitely in!  ;D But no fixing it this year @pompeyjazz  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 01:29:37 AM »
I'm up for possibly providing some lyrics if anyone would want them.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 11:13:27 AM »
Bumping this again to encourage further participation.  If anyone wants to throw a few more headlines  into the ring, all would be welcome.  Perhaps with enough titles, we could each have two spins of the wheel to increase our options.

Paul

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
@Wicked Deeds What headlines have you got so far? Do they have to be current/recent/any time at all headlines?

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 01:54:56 PM »
Hi @Sterix,

I believe that John @pompeyjazz is collating the title.  He has produced an initial list and I've also sent a collection of titles to him.  Why not throw one or two into the mix by way of personal message to John for inclusion on the wheel of fortune spin so that tiles can be allocated to writers. 

Anyone else reading this message should feell welcome to join in the competition!

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 05:37:01 PM »
@pompeyjazz I’d be up for this and a collab. @MichaelA ?
songwriter of no repute..