Poll

Would you be interested in a monthly song contest?

Yes
4 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: April 14, 2021, 10:36:22 PM

Monthly / Quarterly Song Contest

• 7 Replies

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: March 31, 2021, 10:36:22 PM »
I know we have the "Forum Favourites" but I just wanted to see if there would be interest in a monthly/ quarterly contest with a slightly different format.

A few suggested rules:

1. Anyone can enter any of their songs, but only one into each contest. I think this is important, as it allows people to enter rather than wait to be nominated, plus they can enter songs that are truly finished rather than just submitted for critique.

2. We would use the Poll mechanism to collect votes, using some form of Proportional Representation e.g. each voter can vote for up to three songs, equally weighted. This will make counting simple and transparent.

3. Winnings songs get collated into a "Showcase" section (and are perhaps made available on Bandcamp under the UK Songwriting Forum banner).

4. Monthly winner gets to administer the following competition (and cannot enter it).

I would appreciate votes and thoughts.

Thanks,

Kevin

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 08:44:19 AM »
I think it's a good idea @kevysc and would be willing to join in. The only problem is (to use the age old cliche) Getting somebody to "Run with it" Good on yer if you're up for that  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
I think it might be a good idea  8) It sounds like the song you can enter, doesn't have to be a new one and that it can be anyone of your songs.
Is this your intention? I'd be into that ;D

kevysc

• Platinum Album
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:14:34 AM »
@crystalsuzy Yes, my intention would be you could choose any of your songs. That way, you can wait until you think a song is ready, or revive one of your old "classics" :)

Also, you could enter the same song months ( or even years :) ) later .... however, you are only allowed one song per competition.

Also, a key element is to create a showcase for the forum, so you must agree that we could put  the song onto (say) Bandcamp should it win. Over time, we would then have an easy-to-find playlist of the songs voted to be the Forum's best.

Kevin

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 06:51:57 AM »
I think it's a good idea Kevin. I like that we can resurrect older finished songs, but the problem is, as always, getting enough people interested
enough to listen and vote  ::)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 11:29:51 PM »
lol

I'd just hate the idea of
submitting a beautiful (almost fatal) song that gets piqued at the post by something profoundly cheesey  lol
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

kevysc

• Platinum Album
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 09:26:11 AM »
@rightly Popularity is never a great judge of quality ... but it might be fun :)  Still, I noticed that you didn't vote no, only because currently there are no "no" votes! (However, I can't tell if you voted yes, as it is anonymous, which I think is a major plus.)

Incidentally, my username on here came from a website I started ( but never finished) called YourSongContest.com, with the central idea being free song contests for writers and musicians. (Hence, kevysc.) 

Kevin

kevysc

• Platinum Album
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 01:37:04 PM »
Well the voting is in and 100% who voted are in favour. Unfortunately, only 4 voted!

I am going to try post this in the Song Feedback section to see if we can get more input ...

Kevin