konalavadome

Family Boulevard

• 16 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: March 31, 2021, 08:23:55 PM »
Songs seem to be flowing effortlessly at the moment.  I didn't intend to write another album so soon after the one I wrote for Marie but I had an idea that I could write about family and then along came 6 new songs in quick succession.  This one is for my youngest son James.  It's really all about the melody and the sentiment that his faith and love towards me has always remained true.  Maybe I'll rewrite some extra lyrics or even alter the production but then I still think that the message is loud and clear.  This is a song about the end of my marriage and the love of my children.  It's so strange how such songs appear many years after a life changing event.  Perhaps we need this time to process and understand everything that has happened.

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/family-boulevard

Family Boulevard

I watched the sunset on Family Boulevard.
My foot went to the floor then I was gone.

Your faith could steal the heart of Venus.
Such love would make her cry.
I wonder why it’s so?

I watched your tears fall on family Boulevard.
They told me that your love for me was true.

I wonder why it’s so.

There ‘aint’ no changes that could tear apart connections we have made.
We have no reason to be sad when we’re apart.

I watched the sunset on Family Boulevard.
adventure and excitement after pain.

I wonder why it’s so?

I watched your tears fall on family Boulevard.
They told me that your love for me was true.

I wonder why it’s so.

There ‘aint’ no changes that could tear apart connections we have made.
I will rejoice when you’re around, my feet won’t touch the ground.

Written by Paul Vasey March 2021

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/family-boulevard
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:25:27 PM by Wicked Deeds »

TSOTS

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:09:15 PM »
Enjoyed listening to this song quite a bit! A very personal and touching message to your son :) Your phrasing and some of the instrumentation kind of reminds me of Morrissey. I like the chorus/refrain? "Your faith could steal the heart of Venus" but personally I could have done with another layer of instrumentation to alert to the listener that this part is special and will be repeated throughout the song. Great job though, keep up the great work!

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 10:13:14 AM »
@Wicked Deeds Really nice composition. I particularly like the "your faith could steal the heart of Venus" section. The overall effect is a melancholic yearning that really draws the listener in. There are some lovely instrumental touches ( the piano motif works really well) and the change up into "There ain't no changes ..." adds a lovely dynamism.

One suggestion ( which I know you won't take, but I have to get it off my chest :) ),  at the end of when you sing "....apart", instead of going down on that word, I would go up .... and soar back into the "Your faith ...."

Really enjoyed this one,

Kevin

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 02:10:15 PM »
@Wicked Deeds

Hi Paul, another emotive song from you. Nice arrangement ,as usual, and you sing it with such conviction. I like the way youre not tempted to overdo the layering or instrumentation (unlike me ??? ;D)Another 'water colour' to add the collection 8) ;D.

Nice one Paul!

Cheers

jamie

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 04:20:54 PM »
@Wicked Deeds A great song and an excellent arrangement. As has already been said, it's not overdone so the vocal comes over crystal clear. I too like the lyrics to this one. No crits from me. I really enjoyed this. :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 05:46:55 PM »
@Wicked Deeds You are on a rich vein of form at the moment Paul. I love it how you have used the family subject matter in a beautiful song. Love the melody and well thought out orchestration. Great vocal performance as well - Masterful stuff  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 06:42:56 PM »
Love this!

You should be sitting in a luxury beachfront apartment somewhere, living comfortably off the royalties you've been raking in since around 1986 for all the consistently great songs you've been quietly knocking out over the years.

I love the simple beauty of this...the gentle piano part and the little electric guitar touches that come and go like old friends popping in to say hello. Vocals are ace and coupled with the excellently-crafted lyrics, show what an accomplished writer you are...and more than that, I think they show what an accomplished human being you are too.

You're in a rich seam, as the old pitmen would say.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 07:38:20 PM »
really good
sounds familiar
but i think it's probably quite unique
mighty good songwriting!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 01:49:29 PM »
Thank you so much for reviewing this song.  both this song and the last one that I wrote "Division is the great divider"  came to me so easily.  I have a settled life with my partner Marie to thank for this.  It allows me to create and not be worried about other aspects of my life.  I was lucky again yesterday to continue writing a new song called "Let The Dance Begin"  I feel that I wouldn't be able to write if I wasn't in such a good place in my personal life so I am grateful for this.

@TSOTS "Your father's could steal the heart of Venus' is a focal point of the song.  I should revisit the production and this has been my intention but then I've thrown myself into new writing projects since letting this one go out into the world.

@kevysc,

If I do go back to the production, it will be easy to include a backing vocal to embrace your suggestion.  Thank you my friend.

@Jamie,  I'm quite meticulous about the productions that I get involved with.  I think we have to filter exactly what we do as there are so many toys (instruments) at our finger tips. It's good to know when to stop.  At all times, it's wise to listen carefully to ensure that instruments do not clash.

Thanks

Paul

@ChrisPrice, thanks Chris.  It was great to see you at the zoom get together last night.

Paul

@PaulAds,

Thank you for your wonderful, encouraging post.  Unfortunately, I swapped my beachfront apartment for an extortionate rental property in th eSouth of England.  Still, it's a peaceful home and I am benefitting from this as a writer.

Paul

@pompeyjazz,

Thanks John, I can't think why I didn't't begin an album inside by family before today.  It's such an inspirational place to write from

Paul

@rightly,

thank you for your kind review.  it really is appreciated.

Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 12:03:42 PM »
Hi @Wicked Deeds - another lovely thing from you. I recognize that string sound ;-)
Joni Mitchell made all her best records when she was unhappy in love but you've proved that this is not a universal law. I liked the honesty and clarity in your writing. Completely free of artifice and musically everything where it should be and not over layered with tracks. Lovely once again
M

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 05:57:13 PM »
To be serious your voice was one thing I missed in the time I was absent. So I laid back and had a great listen to a great song with nothing to criticise from my side.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:23:46 AM by fischermans »
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 09:13:25 AM »
A really lovely song Paul and the melody is fab! I loved your production on this and the hook is ace! The only thing I want crazy about is the note you sing on the word "apart" it's just not as pretty as the rest of the melody. Great job though man and I'm glad you're rediscovering your mojo!!😁🎶👊🏻🎶

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 06:16:34 PM »
@Wicked Deeds  beautiful emotive opening with those string stabs, can I ref ‘every day is like Sunday’ by morrisey?... that line, ‘ Your faith could steal the heart of Venus.’ has a great melody and hook... very nice vibe overall👍
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 09:24:16 PM »
A song from the heart......to maybe put a little salve on a scar? Wonderful sound throughout.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 10:11:01 AM »
Hi Super Deeds, you are knocking out quality at super human levels at the moment. This is a joyous sounding number and so honest a lyric too, all very lovely. Your vocal is touchingly delicate befitting the caring father and it’s such a soothing melody.

The strings and piano are high end polished, and this contrasts amazingly well with the subtle guitar riffing which somehow sounds a bit more humble and ‘human’.

Yes I agree with @PaulAds about you being denied a royalty blessed life. Maybe in a hundred years time you’ll be celebrated as a lost legend. In the meantime...get to work, there’s bills to be paid 😉
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860