Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Writer's Block (Lyrics) Any tips?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MonnoDB:
Hey @Magic Bones - welcome to the forum. 

I think you’ve got good steers already from the guys. I’d echo the ‘just write’ and keep rewriting, refining - don’t get hung up on how good your first pass is. I frequently rewrite right up to and even during tracking.

Also write stuff down - stuff you see, feel, hear, think.... those little snippets can be turned into songs. I write snippets in the notes app on my phone or one of the (many) lyric books I have around the house....

Or collaborate - some (like @Sterix ) write whole lyrics which others interpret and some get together and co-write.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing some of your music.

Karen.

Magic Bones:
Thanks Karen @MonnoDB I've actually just started to put notes in my phone while I'm out and about.
Here's my 'Debut Single', which I did just over a year ago. If you like that, there's about another 5 currently up on my channel.
Cheers, Dave.

tboswell:
I recognise what you are talking about @Magic Bones. I at points have been that writer who has music ideas galore but lacking something to say.
I got past it by changing up my method and the persistence as the other guys said.

I figure if you find writing music easy, don’t do that first! Start with a concept, a title and then a bit of lyrics before you begin the music. The worst thing I always found was having some music I loved, clung to, then had to ditch after a while because I had no idea lyrically what it was about.
I went from starting with instrumental riffs and verses and trying to write into the song, to beginning with titles, hooks and choruses and writing my way out of the song. The results are much more satisfying I find.

The other suggestion I’d make is listen to some country music. They are usually very simple musically but the lyrics have to be tight, focused, tell a story. Even if it not you kind of thing, analysing some may unlock something for you.

And above everything, keep writing and enjoy it!

Hope some of that helps.

Tom.

Magic Bones:
Cheers Tom @tboswell
I once did the lyrics first thing, years ago. Don't know why, but it worked. I basically imagined I was writing additional verses for Bob Dylan's-'Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues', using the same rhythm and structure.
I wrote a simple account of our band's recent, one and only trip playing abroad (we had a Spanish drummer who got us some gigs on his old patch), mythologising a bit and it worked.

Once I had 3 verses, I used different chords and threw in an instrumental middle section. It almost wrote itself. I think I should definitely give that method another go.

I'm still currently stuck with 6 instrumentals though.. I'm going to use bits of advice from everyone who has posted here and hopefully I'll unblock the dam, so to speak.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the advice. :)

As for Country Music, I'm a fan. My band even had a photo of Hank Williams on the cover of our only single. I love to play old country tunes at gigs (remember them?). You're right about the focus and storytelling of a lot of those songs.

MonnoDB:

--- Quote from: Magic Bones on March 20, 2021, 01:29:39 PM ---Thanks Karen @MonnoDB I've actually just started to put notes in my phone while I'm out and about.
Here's my 'Debut Single', which I did just over a year ago. If you like that, there's about another 5 currently up on my channel.
Cheers, Dave.

--- End quote ---

Hey @Magic Bones - cool sound! Bit of a psychedelic vibe... And those lyrics sound good. Great stuff!

If you want more critique on your song (s) - any / all aspects including lyrics / production, stick up a song in ‘songs for review’. Have a look and see how we do it! There’s also a ‘lyrics’ section if you wave input on your lyrics as you’re writing them!

Sounds like you’re ready to start writing!

Karen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version