konalavadome

Aspiring Songwriter from High Wycombe

• 10 Replies

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« on: June 16, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »
Good morning chaps.

Just a little bit about myself.  I'm 28 years old and from High Wycombe.  I've been playing guitar for about 8 years and writing my own material for nigh on 6 years of that time.  I'm not much of a singer, or a guitar player to be honest but I enjoy writing songs (sometimes!).  I have a website where you can listen to some of my stuff that I've written and performed. 

www.myspace.com/nathansullivan

I've just come off of an especially productive spell aftre the break up of a relationship (every cloud!) but lately I've been struggling to finish anything.  Thought I'd join here in the hope of finding inspiration and meeting some interesting people!

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:00:47 AM »
Just wanted to add some influences. 

Neil Young
Townes Van Zant
Leonard Cohen
Bob Dylan

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »
Morning Nathan - welcome to the forum :)  Highly charged emotional events always have a silver lining for us songwriters eh?

I've had a quick listen to your first song on myspace and I'm impressed with your home recording/ production skills - very nicely put together :)

Finishing songs can often be difficult, but hang in there. I find dedicating time just to playing around with the song will often produce results.

Hope to see you active on the forums :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
Thanks Tone.  I'm very fortunate to have some great friends, one of whom owns a recording studio.  It's not exactly Abbey Road but it's brilliant for my purposes.  He very kindly helped me to record the tracks and acted as my producer as it were, providing valuable input and also musicianship when needed (he played the guitar solo on Ghosts).  I love performing my songs but I am pragmatic enough to accept that I will never achieve any measure of success in the field of performing so I feel it best to concentrate on songwriting.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:08:33 PM »
I love performing my songs but I am pragmatic enough to accept that I will never achieve any measure of success in the field of performing so I feel it best to concentrate on songwriting.
Totally depends on how you measure success.  If it gives you pleasure, that's one level of success.  Sometimes it helps to separate music from money (for me this is true all the time!)  I think you sing and play well enough to be a performer, but I realise temperament comes into it as well.

For me, I love to perform, but I'm pragmatic enough to know that going on tour is not for me.  So I do the odd gig in a local venue which I enjoy, and the rest of the time I write music and just jam with other muso friends.  So long as you're enjoying it, you're doing something right!

:)

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »
Oh yeah.  I would never measure success in monetary terms but I get dreadful stage fright which stems from my lack of confidence in my vocals, ironically the nerves then make the vocals even worse.  It's a vicious circle.  I feel that someone else could probably do the songs I write more justice but at teh same time I get very parochial over my songs!  It's a hell of a dichotomy!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:19:17 PM »
I feel your pain Nathan. I used to have the exact same problem.  The thing is, nobody will ever sing your songs like you sing them, and for singer/ songwriters, a song can't always be separated from their own performance of it (I think this is true of my songs).  It took me a lot of years, a lot of practice, and a lot of very nervous performances to get over my stage fright.  I still feel nervous whenever I perform, but I have enough control over my voice now to not let it get in the way.

Keep at it, Nathan, you can overcome it. It can just take time.

kip4

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:38:01 PM »
cool good work Nathan Keep it up
I like the songs i'd like to hear you do a more upbeat number too
just for a measure of contrast
i too felt your pain keep it up

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
Cheers Kip4.  All the songs on there at the moment are the product of the break up with an ex so they are all a little downbeat.  To be fair, I tend to write fairly downbeat stuff anyway, I always have.  I guess it's because all the songwriters that I really admire and draw inspiration from, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Townes Van Zant and Leonard Cohen tend to gravitate towards that kind of music.  I have tried in the past to write upbeat stuff but to my ear it just comes off as sounding forced and unnatural.  I'll keep trying though!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:38:54 PM by Nathan1709 »

Dutchbeat

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
Nathan

Echo returns is just great, sounds brilliant to me

song is great, and singing is very o.k.

the song should be in the top of the song reviews of this forum, in my opinion

did you post that one in the song reviews already?

go for it!

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »
Hi Dutchbeat.  Thank yoyu so much for your comment.  I'm really glad that you liked Echo Returns.  It's one of my favourites out of the things I've written.  I might have to pop it in the song reviews section!  Cheers again.