I'm new here, Manchester UK - Singer

• 8 Replies

Millsy

• Busker
« on: March 17, 2021, 08:25:00 PM »
Hi, I hope everyone is well. I have a very keen interest in singing and I would consider myself rather good. I have had vocal coaching for a while and would like to continue my musical hobby into writing my own songs (or even just a song). I am struggling as a result of not playing an instrument and I feel like I have hit a brick wall (before I have even started). I would very much like some advice on what I can possibly do next. Or if anyone fancies joining up efforts.
It would be great to get some feedback.
Keep safe everyone!
Jacques 

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 09:30:41 AM »
Welcome to the forum Jacques

If you are a singer that doesn’t play an instrument I would suggest focussing your development on lyric writing and “top line” writing - ie writing the melody for the lyrics, which would then enable you to record (ie just in to a phone) some ideas

If you let us know what type of music you are in to, perhaps with some examples of your singing, I am sure you will find a suitable collaborator in the forum

There are also plenty of good advice across the different sections of the forum so have a mooch around and ask ANY questions
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Millsy

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 10:31:30 AM »
Thanks for that, that's really helpful.
I am interested in lots of different types of music, but I love R&B, soul, funk and jazz.
How do I share any examples of me singing? and would you suggest just simply recording myself singing a capella?
Thanks again.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 08:01:51 AM »

@Millsy
I would suggest recording yourself singing along to a few songs - ie get the karaoke/backing track from YouTube and sing a few of your favourite songs over it

You can then share the recording either via YouTube or SoundCloud and put a link here for people to see/listen to it
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Millsy

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 11:54:33 AM »
Lovely, thanks so much for the advice.
I really am new to all this.
Cheers
Jacques

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum @Millsy / neighbour (I'm from up the road in Oldham)

This is a great place to hone your craft. As someone else who can sing (a little, when the occasion takes me) but can't really play an instrument I've had the opportunity to have some of the songs I've written turned into proper ones by some of the peeps here. And also sung on a couple of songs (one to a tune I wrote, one to somebody else's).

Millsy

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 02:19:02 PM »
@Sterix thanks for the welcome, good to know people local are on here too!

I have never written lyrics before but I do plan to... not sure whether to just go for it? or whether lyrics should follow a certain structure, for now I think the former is the best option.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 11:20:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum @Millsy
not sure whether to just go for it?

Yes, just do it..The most important thing is to start. The first attempts may be crap but you can develop your skills later.  I waited 40 odd years before I started !!...what a prick!!  ;D
Good luck. :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 08:08:52 AM »
Agree 100% @Millsy just go for it. You might surprise yourself and once you start things will start to drop into place