Open Your Eyes

• 22 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:37:18 PM »
Hi All,

First solo song for me for many many months.. Now you'd think, that considered, that I'd have gone for something easy like a piano/vox 1+1 wouldn't you? But no.. I've dragged every dusty instrument from every corner of the house for this..including low whistle and even my old harp, which I have not played since I was a kid and swore I'd never play again... drums are courtesy of my 16-year old daughter who offered when she heard me cursing the dearth of suitable 6/8 beats in my EZdrummer packs... bass, as always Mr MonnoDB.. A family affair this one :)

As always my thanks to @Jambrains who generously helped me as much as he could remotely sort out my muddy mess of mids among other things... Patience of a saint that fella :) !

I'm sure I'll return and tweak so all feedback will be gratefully received..

Watch all the good people
Try to survive
Cheerfully pushing through
Their struggle disguised

Watch the lonely
As they say goodbye
Their gentle smiles that hide
The pain inside

Open your eyes
You might be surprised
At all the trouble
Hidden in plain sight
If you open your eyes

Watch the childless
As they pass you by
Empty arms that ache
For what they're denied

Watch those left behind
They might seem alright
With a hole that can't be filled
No matter how hard they try

Open your eyes
You might be surprised
At all the trouble
Hidden in plain sight
If you open your eyes

What you want is what you don't have
You want the silver lining but never the cloud
Show me love and I'll show you pain
Maybe the sun shines only after the rain

Open your eyes
You might be surprised
At all the trouble
Hidden in plain sight
If you open your eyes

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:52:12 PM »
Wow ! @MonnoDB Harps are in vogue atm, and a real one. I love this, its such a sweet melodic number and I love it that you've roped in the rest of the family on this one. I must say that the drums sound fantastic. A beautiful song indeed. Bravo to all involved 👏

sweeny500

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:53:04 PM »
@MonnoDB
Oh what a lovely and unique voice! Catchy chorus. I like the way the mood changes for the chorus, the clouds lifting to let the sun shine through. Great drummer too!!

Beebeesmith

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 12:12:58 AM »
@MonnoDB
Hi
really liked this, different enough to be intriguing, lovely unique vocal flowing through a tasty melody. A good family bash, well done.
BB

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »
@MonnoDB
Your vocals on this remind me of Buffy Saint Marie which is a lovely thing. I like the instruments you have chosen here - the harp is particularly effective;why don't more people use it in their arrangements. You have skillfully made the music open out on the "open your eyes" line so it perfectly supports the song. This is a very strong song as a stand alone but with the skill you have used in the production and arrangement it really comes alive. It's really rather brilliant and makes me jealous.
M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 03:12:46 PM »
@MonnoDB

Hi Karen, you had the full bejasus thing going on there to be sure ;), with the harp and the woodwind! I love your vocal on this, it stands out beautifully against the arrangement. Roping the whole family in, that saves on royalty payouts.... ;) ;D

Nice one! 8)

Jamie
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:01:49 PM by Jamie »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 11:36:43 PM »
Hi Karen @MonnoDB, very clever yet restrained use of the harp. The drum crescendo into the uplifting chorus is quite wonderful. The melody throughout is very kind of pronounced but dips into minor chord territory just in time to pull at the heart strings.

Just a very pure and beautiful song very well performed by all. One for all concerned to be proud of, and a celebratory achievement for you and your talented family. This has its roots in a Celtic tradition but your melody and bitter sweet vocal gives this an entirely contemporary edge. Very well done  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 11:40:16 AM »
Nice to hear a new one from you K and I think this is one of my favs, but I think I say that about every new tune of yours  :-*
This is a truly lovely and talented creation. So cool that your family was a big part of it. That must feel so rewarding  :)
Your voice is amazing in this and I love the harp and low whistle, and the drums are so tastefully done, as is the bass, organ and piano 8)
The melody and arrangement are lovely...lifts beautifully into the very catchy chorus. The lyrics are compelling and sad...all the lonely people :( 
"You want the silver lining but never the cloud"...love this line :)
I can't say enough about how fabulous the whole production is, and I'm sure JB's magical touch added to the beautifully finished track :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:37:38 PM by crystalsuzy »

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 01:17:58 PM »
@MonnoDB  such a beautiful melodic song, great vocal, you have a distinctive voice and it really shines through... the instrumentation in this is brilliant too, the drumming is really great, constantly evolving and interesting but sits so well in the mix... and that harp!!! (Well all the instruments) Beautiful. Beautiful 👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 04:51:28 PM »
oh this is charming!

yes, there's the harp.
that flute is nice!
I like the middle eight thing
then back to the refrain
nicefade out.
Well done!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 07:54:46 PM »
Nice one....a true family affair indeed! I have to say that the drums and bass really tie this package together perfectly.....both really well played.

I love how the instrumentation evolves with harp and various keys making well choreographed appearances.

Typically enigmatic lyrics....I do love how you write. And, of course, delivered as only you could.  8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

The Holographic Rodeo

• Busker
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 08:14:56 PM »
Sounds amazing - your voice fits it perfectly, and I love the range of instrumentation used here. I thought at first the middle 8 was going to move into a flat beat rather than carrying on with the swing feel which would have been cool, though at like it as it was too. Thoughtful lyrics too. Well done! :)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 12:21:17 AM »
Love the chorus in particular and yes, the harp really works on this one, as does the flute. The tin whistle adds a nice Celtic feel ...

Super track, well done

Kevin

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 05:40:44 PM »
This is excellent. Love the tremolo guitar chords!

The drums give it a really interesting and unique feel that suits the song perfectly. I always find that anything 3/4 or 6/8 dies an immediate and ghastly death in the (virtual) hands of almost all virtual drummers. Your daughter did fabulously here to save her Ma from such a fate. The chorus lifts very nicely indeed. Middle 8 section is lovely. Vocals are super once again. Nice work from Hubby on bass. I hope that got him out of doing the washing up over the weekend.

BTW, I thought the harp was really nice...an instrument I'd never thought about before...but a girl I got talking to during FAWM is a harp player and some of her stuff was fabulous and slightly blew me away with how it sounded. I'd definitely be tempted to use it more, if you could.

You never fail to impress me!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 01:27:34 PM »
Great song from a talented family. Really liked the drums and the other real instruments.

The song concept is really interesting and I like the way there isn't really a judgement or payoff - just open your eyes and make up your own mind.

I also like the way this is quite genre-less, and just what this song needed to be. Original and very well brought over.