In a day

• 13 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: March 05, 2021, 10:25:10 AM »
I was putting the finishing touches to my as yet unreleased album “Let Your Umbrella Down”    then......

Five new songs followed in quick succession, the beginnings of another new album.  The concept being family. This one was written very much with my brother and sister in mind.  Despite our struggles, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

For Sharon and Christopher, I love you both sincerely!

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/in-a-day

In a day

This is our story, these are the places we’ve been.
Ducking and diving, adjusting the mood of the scene.
Proud of achievements, who would have thought we would fly?
We should open our eyes.

I couldn’t love you more than I love you right now.
The lights on the stage set have fallen,
We’re taking a bow.
The exit is waiting, not anticipating the crowds.
Still, we should be proud.

Didn’t we have our doubters, didn’t we slay our demons?
Didn’t we face the wind head on and say
that Rome, wasn’t built in a day?
Rome wasn’t built in a day?

I couldn’t love you more than I love you right now.
The lights on the stage set have fallen,
We’re taking a bow.
The exit is waiting, not anticipating the crowds.
Still, we should be proud.

Didn’t we have our doubters, didn’t we slay our demons?
Didn’t we face the wind head on and say
that Rome, wasn’t built in a day?
Rome wasn’t built in a day?

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Written by Paul Vasey February 2021

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/in-a-day

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »
@Wicked Deeds

Hi Paul, lovely acoustic guitar sounds and chords, lovely feel. Your vocal adds to the airy feel and the emotion of the lyric. I think I've said before that your arrangements intrigue me. They seem rather 'sparse', but actually its the way you delicately apply the paint as if painting a water colour. My arrangements are closer to a Jackson Pollock....primary colours and paint splashed everywhere. Lovely song, enjoyed it! 8)

Cheers

Jamie

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 07:46:53 PM »
I just love how that acoustic guitar rings throughout the song. It gives your vocals solid ground from which to weave a wonderful and sometimes exquisitely soaring musical tapestry.

Beautiful song.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

The Holographic Rodeo

• Busker
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 08:25:10 PM »
I liked it on the first listen, and it grew even more when I played it for the second time. Your vocals sit really nice in the mix here against the very well-recorded acoustic guitars. No nits from me - all very good!

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 12:17:43 AM »
@Wicked Deeds love the acoustic guitar sound ( how are you recording it? I would love to be able to get such a clear and resonant sound)

Nice lyric and vocal work too.

Kevin

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 05:48:37 PM »
@Wicked Deeds
Like others. I'm really enjoying the acoustic guitar. I like the lyrics and your vocal though not sure about the higher register parts. I also think the song could develop a bit more. I'm not talking about drums or anything loud or dramatic, rather some strings or something to compliment the guitar it as it goes along. So said, this is a lovely song and I'm envious of your acoustic playing! :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 05:01:52 PM »
Superb.

Top quality lyrics, the acoustic is fab and the vocals soar over the top of it beautifully.

Not the sugar-lump mass-market tiny attention-span sort of here-today-gone-tomorrow disposable pop music that sells so well nowadays and so much the better for it...much more something to ponder over and reflect on.

Which is what I did when I was listening.

It seems to me that you're happy to let those who love this kind of thing do just that...and happy to let those who want something different to go and look for it where they may.

Good on you and good for us too.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 08:41:49 PM »
This is a beautiful piece @Wicked Deeds The opening two lines set the whole picture for the song. Lovely acoustic sound and top quality vocals but more than anything, top quality songwriting. You are some talent Mr V

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 11:22:38 AM »
Hi @Wicked Deeds
Yes, that guitar sound is a highlight of this. Beautifully played and recorded. Someone has talked about your sound being like a watercolor which I think is a very apt comparison. It's always a rich seam of inspiration if you can write intelligently about those you have a close relationship with. I think you have carried this off very nicely indeed with just one instrument to keep the listener involved. A gossamer-like thing of beauty.
M

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 08:41:52 AM »
I really like lyrical images here - lots of scenarios - the flying, the stage, the wind... really original ways to make us glimpse what the protagonist feels.

The ending section is really lovely (and I especially liked the subtle new sounds coming underneath).

It would be easy to make this more "poppy" and I'm glad you didn't.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 10:29:16 AM »
If the song is coming from a good place then its a good start and this recording has a lovely feel. No-one can argue with the lyrics if it comes from the heart.I actually like the high register parts at the end as it ramps up the emotion to a nice ending. Love the guitar playing & the overall sound. Top song @Wicked Deeds  :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 10:10:36 AM »
My apologies for not being around on the forum since posting this song.  Wanted to spend a little time over at the Songwriters in the kitchen forum after the news of my old friend Dutchbeat.  I've also been tied up working on a huge creation for Alan @montydog that will hopefully it will soon make an appearance on this forum.

Thank you to everyone who took time to respond to this song. It has been a nice departure from my more recent elaborate productions.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:46:29 AM by Wicked Deeds »

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 12:06:10 PM »
Hello Paul very lovely song presented with your outshining voice which never failed. Very well done but I expected nothing else.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 09:12:57 AM »
@Wicked Deeds  this is a very touching composition, set to some lovely acoustic guitar, it’s tender and comforting, it feels sad and yet warm and positive... the highlights for me are the ‘we should open our eyes’ and ‘still, we should be proud’ lines, where the melody really soars. Lovely 👍
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...