New song, new project (sort of Counting Crows type vibe)

• 13 Replies

Andyb

« on: March 05, 2021, 01:36:09 PM »
Most of my stuff errs on the side of grunge/fuzz/punk however I was a huge fan of bands like the Counting Crows back in the day and wanted to create a new project that would allow me to scratch that itch. Production wise I wanted almost that live sound, like a band rehearsing for a studio session, a little rough around the edges, a little raw.
This is Made of stone by Boothe Hill

https://4belowmusic.bandcamp.com/album/from-nothing-to-nowhere

here's a wee lyric video I rattled together for it

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:09:52 PM by Andyb »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 02:00:04 PM »
@Andyb

HI, I always like a rock song that builds on some nice acoustic guitar strummery and builds with the bass and electric guitars, it works!. Enjoyed the drumming too. Very nice song, well played, sung and the production sounded great to me too!

Nice work!

Cheers

Jamie

The Holographic Rodeo

• Busker
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 08:44:11 PM »
Top notch vocal performance and production here. I think I would have liked it more if the drums or other instrumentation kicked in a little sooner, and I wonder if the 'made of stone' choruses (whilst really well sung) loop around a couple too many times. That said, overall a very enjoyable listen.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 12:14:52 AM »
Great voice and love the sound of the acoustic guitars ( how did you record them? )

I like the build of instrumentation, but would agree that it might work even better if it came in a little sooner.

Superb production and overall an excellent track, well done!

Kevin

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 05:55:38 PM »
@Andyb
Wow, this is an anthemic song if there ever was one! The vocal is fabulous. I can't criticise anything about this at all. It's a great arrangement and the production is just spot on. I can hear a number of influences here from The Beatles onwards. Nothing wrong with that of course. I love it. :)

Andyb

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 06:27:44 PM »
Appreciate the kind comments everyone. For those asking about the guitars where just recorded them in my spare room with my vocal condenser mic just off the soundhole, double tracked left and right in what is possibly the world's cheapest acoustic guitar 😂

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 11:55:05 AM »
WOW! What a voice the singer has! Is that you? the whole production is top notch and I love the build up with the acoustic guitar(which sounds fab) to the full on rock with bass and drums, although I kind of agree that it might have come in a little sooner, but what do I know :-\  Excellent production  :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 12:37:52 PM »
Vocals take centre stage here along with the wonderful rhythm guitar. I can  hear the band crashing in to create a huge soundscape to help this song really fly but as others have said I was expecting it to to arrive a little sooner.  Much to like here @Andyb.  I'm pleased that you've arrived on our forum.  :)

Cool song!

Andyb

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 03:19:24 PM »
Again thanks for the comments. This song is a solo effort with me playing all the instruments. The vocals were the thing I was least confident about I'm not really the big power vocalist. As far as the instruments coming in earlier I guess I was trying to keep that element of surprise like you've sort of settled in to a stripped backed acoustic track and then.just when you think it's too late for a band to kick in then a band kicks in... Jury is still out on whether that's a good idea or not lol

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 05:23:17 PM »
Nice to see you back.

I've always been very impressed with your output...I sometimes kind of wish you'd take part in the forum a little more than you do...but each to their own!

Thought this was really good. The vocals are great. I wasn't so keen on the opening 40 seconds or so, to be honest...and maybe the hook repeated right up to the limit...but your new project looks full of promise.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »
@Andyb
Oh yes! I love this. Lovely strummed acoustic start and your great vocals sitting nicely in there. You have a great rock voice and it suits this song perfectly. You could have brought the drums and bass in earlier but I think leaving them later works really well here. I cannot think of anything to suggest to improve this and the fact that you played all the instruments is incredibly impressive. This wouldn't be out of place on a Kings Of Leon album.
Outstanding.
M

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 01:13:11 PM »
Very nice - I like all the elements and especially how they all fit together. Plenty of contrast to keep the interest going. Not sure if I get Counting Crows from it but that's not the point, it's a good one indeed.

A Fernando

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 03:15:27 PM »
Hey there...don’t sell your chops short.  I think your up front vocals work very well in this track. Excellent production and nice build to the end. Love the fat snare you’re using.

Cheers,
Aldrin

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 09:47:42 PM »
@Andyb  wow! What an incredible voice! Absolutely smashed that vocal! Just brilliant, I really like the track too, great production, some really interesting chords adds up to a very engaging listen... but what a vocal!... props man 👏👏👏
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...