konalavadome

NYC Songwriter with Major Label Cuts

• 6 Replies

splitpeasongs

• Busker
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:09:45 PM »
Hello! Years back I worked full-time as a songwriter. I managed to get a few major label cuts; over the course of its life, one of my songs has earned almost six figures. I have not written a new song in quite some time, but I am toying with the idea of getting back into it. Feel free to check out my songs here: https://www.reverbnation.com/splitpeasongs

Mitch
Split Pea Songs
splitpeasongs@gmail.com

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 04:57:20 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. People probably aren't seeing this post as it isn't listed for some reason in the 'recent post' section of the homepage.
I can't listen to your link at the moment,tech issues,but will asap.
Did you ever have any syncs as well as cuts? That's what I'm aiming at.

Cheers

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 09:29:32 AM »
Welcome.

There's a lot others could learn from your experiences so far with labels and publishers so don't be shy about chipping in to discussions on here!

It'd be interesting to learn a little more about you and your songwriting journey so far; what genre are you into (country, rock, house, hi hop, folk), how did you get your 'break' with the labels, and what the experience has been like, and whether, with the benefit of hindsight, there are things you'd maybe do a little differently or not. Also a little about your process; do you produce your own stuff, do you collab with  others etc.

Now that you've gotten back into songwriting again hopefully it won't take long for the creative juices to flow again. Sometimes temporarily falling out f love with all this songwriting stuff and taking a little step back for a while is the perfect way to recharge the batteries before coming back at it again bigger and better than  before!

splitpeasongs

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. People probably aren't seeing this post as it isn't listed for some reason in the 'recent post' section of the homepage.
I can't listen to your link at the moment,tech issues,but will asap.
Did you ever have any syncs as well as cuts? That's what I'm aiming at.

Cheers

Thanks for the post. I have not submitted my material for sync opportunities.

splitpeasongs

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 01:54:20 PM »
Welcome.

There's a lot others could learn from your experiences so far with labels and publishers so don't be shy about chipping in to discussions on here!

It'd be interesting to learn a little more about you and your songwriting journey so far; what genre are you into (country, rock, house, hi hop, folk), how did you get your 'break' with the labels, and what the experience has been like, and whether, with the benefit of hindsight, there are things you'd maybe do a little differently or not. Also a little about your process; do you produce your own stuff, do you collab with  others etc.

Now that you've gotten back into songwriting again hopefully it won't take long for the creative juices to flow again. Sometimes temporarily falling out f love with all this songwriting stuff and taking a little step back for a while is the perfect way to recharge the batteries before coming back at it again bigger and better than  before!

I love pop music, so that's what I write. Growing up, I was obsessed with ABBA -- still am. Unfortunately, the type of music I love has fallen out of favor here in the States, where I am based. I stopped writing because -- at least here in the US -- there does not seem to be a market for what I like to write.

Consider the second song on my Reverbnation page ("I Don't Want to Get over You"): the chorus is in a different key from the verse, and the bridge moves through several keys before modulating up a step. I can't remember the last time I heard a hit song with these sorts of harmonic changes.

I write all of my songs at a piano -- just me and a keyboard. I do not have a home studio. Once a song is finished, I hire and work with a local producer and vocalist to create a demo.

I have gotten cuts primarily via email: hearing about an artist or project, scouring the Internet for contact info, and submitting my material to the appropriate contact. But this process might no longer be viable; it has been over 15 years since I last pitched a song. Very few artists these days record outside material.

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 04:47:29 PM »
Hi Split pea,

I listened to your reverbnation and was impressed,nice boy band style things (The Way The Story Goes,I Don't Want To Get Over You) and some female solo. It's pop alright,and the style that doesn't really go out of fashion,give these a 2021 production,or a K-pop arrangement, they'd still fly.
It's mainstream,and what we should be writing if we want a career, I've got some pop,rock and reggae at https://soundcloud.com/user-632358636
You probably wouldn't like it.

splitpeasongs

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 11:04:12 PM »
Hi Split pea,

I listened to your reverbnation and was impressed,nice boy band style things (The Way The Story Goes,I Don't Want To Get Over You) and some female solo. It's pop alright,and the style that doesn't really go out of fashion,give these a 2021 production,or a K-pop arrangement, they'd still fly.
It's mainstream,and what we should be writing if we want a career, I've got some pop,rock and reggae at https://soundcloud.com/user-632358636
You probably wouldn't like it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for the kind words. I would love to think that -- if given a 2021 sound -- my material could still be relevant and marketable. I remain skeptical, for reasons expressed in my earlier post. Since I don't have my own studio, I would need to find a producer who can take the songs and somehow modernize them without changing them.

I enjoyed listening to your material. Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 11:10:25 PM by splitpeasongs »