konalavadome

Double freezing

• 2 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: February 22, 2021, 04:06:02 PM »
I'm not sure whether this terminology is transferable, but this concept might help some here.

Say you have a lofi vocal line that you want to add an echo to, such as

I love you, the repeats will be 1. I love you 2. I love you etc.

But say you want I love you, and the repeats to be 1. Love you 2. You 3. You

You can use double freezing to obtain this. (I usually take a copy of the track before this, just in case I don't dig it)

First apply the over all plugins you want minus without the echo (maybe comp + lofi). Then freeze it (that's the terminology in Samplitude) it embeds the plugins into the audio waveform in the DAW, this removes the plugins from the track as the fx have been embedded.

Then add the echo plugin on the track, and freeze it again, this again embeds the echo plugin into the track, now the echoes will appear in the waveform, so now the waveform can be chopped/copy and pasted to repeat only part of the phrase.

In Samplitude the pan position of each part of the echo can be individually set, so the echoes could be swung L or R.

Feel free to ask if you want any more info.

Hope this helps...

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 08:04:35 AM »
@cowparsleyman - this is a great trick. I used to use this technique quite often - in some DAWs this is referred to as “bouncing” (remember the 4 track days!)

Another good trick is to not use delay at all and just copy & paste certain phrases, words or even syllables to different tracks and arrange them to give exactly the delay effect you want

I now find that it is quicker to set up a “delay throw” where you use automation to increase the send level for just specific word/phrase to a delay bus

I find the flexibility allows you to be creative “in the moment” and is useful to fill and “spaces” in the track at will - giving the impression the vocal has more delay than it actually has, giving a generally cleaner mix but letting the delay “poke through” at will using automation

A similar technique is the classic “reverb through” - make sure the send is “pre-fader” and the use automation to increase the send to the reverb bus at the same time as turning the fader down - which gives a cool “falling off a cliff” effect that is great for transitions from verse to chorus
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:06:38 AM by Boydie »
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 03:27:23 PM »
@Boydie - Good ideas - Yes, your'e right, I'm glad that bouncing is so much easier now, I always respected those producers like Roy Thomas Baker who had to manage 2" and 1/4" tapes from multiple studios, when mixing down Queen albums...