Plagiarism?

• 6 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: February 18, 2021, 02:42:11 PM »
Some folk wonder how close songs have to sound to be considered as blatant copies, last year I was told that one of my riffs was 'shine on crazy diamond' but I've never heard that song (as I am NOT a fan of the Floyd)...So was I in the wrong?

Here's a pair of pair of songs that are more than a little similar, and from genres that are so far apart that I wonder if either of them have heard their own songs...I would be interested in your opinions

1970 something

and this...(the music starts at about 0:35)

or this

Jaguar by Johnny Smith

and this Strikes Twice by Larry Carlton (I can imagine however this might be a tribute to Johnny)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 03:01:54 PM by cowparsleyman »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 03:43:35 PM »
Hi @cowparsleyman, yes a few of us were discussing this one recent Friday night and do believe it happens all the time. So maybe you would be interested in taking part in the resultant Stolen Riff Challenge, were you purposely steal a riff but kind of disguise it maybe so you can deny plagiarism. I’ve had a bit of fun working on something...

Here is the link the the Challenge thread, if you are curious.

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18208.0
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »
@MichaelA - Hi Michael - interesting, I guess you are right it must happen all the time, maybe John Dowland was cursing his rival lutenists for ripping off "If my Complaints" for example.

As an aside I was listening to Agnus Dei and wondering if there's a riff in there I could use? there seem to be a whole host for great ideas in Classical pieces, Chaconne by Bach is full of 'em, sure I could use the quiet bit somewhere.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
Well Rich @cowparsleyman, funny that you mention classical, as I have been listening to Bach Cello Suite 1 to start mine off. Although I have changed it now probably too much. Then the chorus is from Pachobel’s Canon, which is a straight off steal  ;D I will probably post it later and try and get a few more folk interested in having a bash. It’s just interesting as a technical challenge I think.

I am sure you could pull something out of Bach given your familiarity with some of his works!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 04:14:05 PM »
I appear to be the only one who noticed this one at the time..

ETA - it won't take the "jump to" - first one is 44 secs / 2nd is 56 secs...

And

I found it bugged me more than it should have :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 05:17:14 PM »
Very interesting @MonnoDB. But that girl in the tight leather catsuit only made me remember I can no longer fit in my one. Hence I don’t do videos.  ::)

They would be good if I did though  ;)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 06:43:12 PM »
Very interesting @MonnoDB. But that girl in the tight leather catsuit only made me remember I can no longer fit in my one. Hence I don’t do videos.  ::)

They would be good if I did though  ;)

@MichaelA - by the ways she's put together you's have no trouble getting it on, probably room to tuck your packed lunch in their too.