Typhoid Jayne

• 14 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: February 17, 2021, 10:30:49 PM »
Hi,
Based on a real life story of Mary Mullion, the first recorded superspreader, who is thought to have killed 50 people.
Always in denial, she was forcibly imprisioned and died after a total of nearly three decades in solitary isolation.

Did it as I would have done it back in 1979, so I kept it really quick, simple and direct, no fannying about. 
Anyway I hope you like it and really appreciate any feedback.
:-)
neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/typhoid-jayne-master-17-feb-2021

It’s not very funny
And it isn’t very kind
Being innocent and guilty
Both at the same time

They locked you up and left you to rot
Then threw away the keys

Typhoid Jane, look what you done
Typhoid Jane, you’ve gone and fooled everyone
Typhoid Jane, stop hanging around
Typhoid Jane, don’t you take me down

Sailed the great Atlantic
So that you could be free
Serving wealthy gentry
In New York City

Never sick, left no forwarding address
You never thought you were guilty

Quarantined, in North Brother Island
Quarantined, they locked you up for life

Why cant you see
What you’re doing to me
Got me on my knees
Such a deadly disease

They locked you up and left you to rot
Then threw away the keys

c N Connor 2021
songwriter of no repute..

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 01:10:41 AM »
@Neil C
Absolutely love it. A great loose feel to it which is dead right for the genre. This was what the world of rock n roll needed back then and I reckon it still does!! Strange subject matter but, hey, it works. Right up my street. :)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 06:19:05 AM »
Can't help but feel that Covid Jane would have worked, as well!
Funny stuff, Neil!
Always good fun.
Love the music.......good singing, too.
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 05:55:57 PM »
Ha ha, great rocker Neil. Non nonsense, straight to the point and most entertaining. Very catchy chorus as well. And a tight little combo you have assembled there too.

Good stuff looking that story up, definitely a new angle on our current traumas. Much fun and punch, definitely 79, a very good year!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:04:44 PM »
Great late 70s power pop feel @Neil C and its nice and raw and loose as well just as it should be of course. Can imagine bouncing around to this one back in the day  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 02:03:55 PM »
@Neil C
Hi Neil, its got the period the sound alright. Poor Mary, she didn't even get a mention ;) Loved the bass guitar tone. No nonsense!

Nice job Neil

Jamie

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 08:58:29 PM »
Certainly no nonsense.  @NeilC, you've really mastered this production business, achieving super clarity with your productions.  This  one is real foot-tapper, p[roviding a feast of guitars.

Paul

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 12:22:21 PM »
Fantastic idea for a song, wish I had thought of it!

This is a super rocking pop song, fantastic production and a really hooky chorus. Love the changeup in the bridge.

This would be even greater live! Fantastic, well done.

Kevin

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 04:03:02 PM »
@Neil C
This reminded me of Nick Lowe around the time of his "Jesus Of Cool" album. Straight ahead musical approach overlaid with clever, dense lyrics. Superb musicianship throughout - you make it sound so effortless. I would have liked your vocals further up in the mix as you sing this really well. Other than that, it's a cracker - one of your best.
M

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 01:15:16 AM »
@Neil C

Super fun Rocker Neil! Dig the guitars, and it really does have that cool feel of
that era....well done as always :) ...Ray

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
Great guitars as always and bass too. I really like the tone on the solo. Amazing clear production on everything, and particularly the drums.
Nice quirky idea for a song concept - these days you "only" get 10 years for skipping quarantine...
Does what it says on the tin - straight up 1979 rocker (with proper musicianship).

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 05:54:09 PM »

@ChrisPrice - thanks for the feedback, just made it sound live and didn't overthink it :-)

@IronKnee - Fun, just what the doc ordered and thanks for the shout on the vocals too

@MichaelA - "Non nonsense, straight to the point and most entertaining. Very catchy chorus as well. And a tight little combo" thanks, its not far off what my band The Glow, sounded like back them, although we weren't as tight!!

@pompeyjazz - nice and raw and loose cheers John

@Jamie - thanks, re the bass tone, I had to use a pick as its too fast at 145bpm for my little fingers...

@Wicked Deeds - Paul thanks for the comments on production, sometimes less is more, I often forget that

@kevysc - thanks for the comments on the subject, just keep on looking they're all they if we look. And I was chuffed with the bridge, its lifts it and takes it somewhere and back again :-)

@montydog - Alan thanks for the feedback on the lyrics and playing, I just went for it as I would have done as a young man, with the added 40 years of experience. Maybe the vocals could be up a tad.. 

@Bostonfan2 - 'Super fun Rocker.. Dig the guitars' cheers for that Ray

@adamfarr - the solo was a cleanish sound with a distortion pedal doubled tracked, with the second half harmonised I think, and the drums were real drum WAV's rather than the 'ezydrummer', so you get the enhanced sound, at the expense of being able to edit it. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
songwriter of no repute..

sweeny500

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 07:05:09 PM »
@Neil C
About a third of the way through I was thinking this could be something the BoomTown Rats would have done back in the late 70's so your target era is spot on. Love the guitar sound. As another poster said earlier, it may have needed the lead vocals more 'in your face' or up the mix. A good un!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 09:19:36 PM »
Ha yes @sweeny500 is spot on - this does remind me of the Boomtown Rats!! Great rocker.. great production.. performance spot on.. clever theme..

Super catchy ..

Great stuff @Neil C

K

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 10:31:53 PM »
Yep - Boomtown Rats comes to mind.
Great rocker with a catchy hook.
Can't find no nits - nope just can't :D
Maybe Covid Kate is next ?

Enjoyed it
Paul