konalavadome

There Were Times

• 20 Replies

IronKnee

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 12:36:23 PM »
Hi Alan.........absolutely a great mixture of your voice and the melody.
The music creates a warm and surreal atmosphere. Has that epic western soundtrack quality................wow, and here comes a sax?
Very cool, and full of surprises!
Nice work......a great track!!!
                                                                -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 03:51:34 PM »
Oh, I absolutely LOVE the lyrics!!! Made me think of a phrase from an old Rush song:
Summer's going fast
Nights growing colder
Children growing up
Old friends growing older

Anyway, back to your song. I must say I have really enjoyed the way you have ventured into new musically territory lately but for this one I'd say would have worked better in your "old" style, think I Have Taken To Walking. Nothing wrong with the current version but given the lyrics it just did not feel right for me (but that is just me of course). Respect for moving out of your comfort zone though! And fab vox delivery of course, that never changes regardless of backing track.

man made material

• Open Mic
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »
@montydog
Very touching lyrics and a heartfelt vocal... the melody certainly pulls at the heart strings too...it’s melancholic yet warming... if Roy Orbison and Vince Clark got together, then this gem is what I can imagine those power houses creating... and like the best songs gets better with each listen👌
After a fourth listen, I can confirm, I love it!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:45:19 PM by man made material »
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
    • Cowparsleyman on the Web
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 10:31:11 PM »
@montydog - Blimey what a departure from your usual stream, @man made material - Vince meets Roy, very good.

Great idea - Like the arrangement, and the intimacy of the vocal, you eat this kind of thing for breakfast.

All the best with your Album.

Rich

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 01:42:03 AM »
This is quite different from you Alan @Montydog with the dance type synth adding a different dimension. You carry it off very well and the whole arrangement is very well put together. Good luck for the new album

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 04:00:42 AM »
Glad I put off commenting on this initially as I wasn’t sure about the change in style...but when I came back for another listen, I liked it much more than I first thought I did. I could always understand (I think) the idea of not letting the emotion and sentiment behind the song drag it towards the gloomier side of things and think it worked very well towards that goal.

I thought the sax was a little “Benny Hill” if I’m honest...I shut my eyes and could see half a dozen beauties in high heels and lingerie, running around a football pitch at video cassette recorder fast-forward speed, being chased by Bob Todd in a vicars outfit with one side of his dog collar standing to attention.

So I loved that element, obviously 😀

Lyrics are very tidily put together...and convey how you feel about the loss without ever veering off into slush...which might well happen to lesser talented lyricists. I thought it was really honest and quite clever to point out in the lyric how the words have all been said before...but that’s not to diminish their power and feeling. Quite the reverse, really. Vocals are bang on the money once again.

Lovely tribute.