There Were Times

• 23 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: February 01, 2021, 06:53:26 PM »
Hello everyone,,

New month, new album available on Bandcamp : https://alanwalker1.bandcamp.com/album/sunshine-2

This is the first song on the album which I do hope you like and give your feedback on either way. Something a little different from my usual arrangement for this song which is in memory of the best friend I lost over 10 years ago. It still hurts.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/there-were-times

There were times
When days were longer
Our voices stronger
When we were young
The wind was softer
Sun was warmer
And our lives
Had just begun

When the songbird
Flies for the winter
To the warmth
Of  distant shores
I'll will cherish
Our days together
Now we can't make them
Anymore

This is just my simple song for you
To say thank you
All these ancient words I wrote for you
Are still brand new
They still ring true
I still miss you

But life is sweet
And death is bitter
Nothing I say
Can ease the pain
As we pass
Through worlds of wonder
Always your face
Always the same

I can hear
The church bells ringing
Skylark singing
In fields of green
Across the valley
The sound of laughter
Just like the way
It's always been

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 03:26:51 PM »
There is a great deal of emotion and strength in this song @montydog . I can feel your sadness at this loss while at the same time I'm feeling some of the positive feelings that linger on from your time together.

Really powerful production.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 09:31:11 AM »
Vocals sounding a little like Roy Orbison crossed with Chris Isaak!

Lovely tribute to your friend, sadly many of us are at the stage of life when we are looking back at those we lost.

Both the arrangement and the lyrics are nicely uncluttered and I like the change-up in the chorus: brings an emotional directness that really hits home.

Nice work and best of luck with the album,

Kevin

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 11:37:02 AM »
Hi Alan, congrats on getting the album out. The artwork is a good sell for it, for a start.

I read this before listening and thought the lyrics very touching. You’ve used that bitter/sweet contrast to describe life, as I’ve just done independently in my latest song on here. So on the basis of great minds thinking alike, I’ve got to admire these sensitive yet somehow heartwarming lyrics very much.  :D

The backing track was more upbeat than I was expecting, but I realised it was more about a celebration of life, not just bitterness of the loss. So it was easy to go along with that mellifluous pathway.

The vocal was very soothing and reassuring really, making the listener feel some comfort in the face of the harshness of loss. A very touching recollection of your friend and the life you had together, with a melody that made me, as a listener, sail effortlessly away into private contemplation.

Great opener for the album. I hope it does well for you.  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 06:26:28 PM »
@montydog
Alan, good luck with the record.
And you're right, its a bit different with the synths and the reverbed vocals, but you soon get past them and concentrate on the lyrics and vocals. and then it transitions intro the chorus with the organ.
So when you come back to verse 2 you're treading familiar territory and then you get the fab solo.
It ends up sounding like a updated classic
Thanks for sharing   
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 10:11:53 PM »
Hi Alan
Great track - a bit different from you but your smooth vocals and poignant lyrics sell it well.
The contrast between upbeat music and sad lyrics works in this one.
Just a tad long for me but you knew I was going to say that..

Good work - and best of luck with the new album :D
Paul

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 12:17:00 AM »
A universally identifiable theme.  Great lyrics.  Great vocals.  Couldn't help thinking about Marty Robbins when I heard our vocals.  This was (in my opinion) a really high level accomplishment. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

The Holographic Rodeo

• Busker
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 06:37:21 AM »
Love the contrast of quite a timeless and slightly melancholy melody that would sound equally well placed over a slow acoustic strumming track, but put against this more upbeat and lively backing. I like the sax solo too - didn’t see that bit coming and it fits really well. I also hear a touch of Roy Orbison in the vocals

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 04:10:03 PM »
@montydog

Hi Alan, good luck with the album. Vocal apart, his is such a different sound to what I expected. The contrast between the lyric and the upbeat arrangement is striking. Your smooth vocal holds it together. Some nice sounds and the sax solo was really good.

Nice one!

Cheers

Jamie

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 11:00:22 PM »

@montydog

I too can hear a bit of Roy Orbison about this. A great vocal throughout. I Drove All Night springs to mind, though obviously a totally different song. A very full production which really does the song justice. I like the sax and I'm always a sucker for Hammond organ sounds. Nothing I can criticise here. This is great. :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 01:47:43 PM »
A heartfelt and sincere tribute so not something that should be analysed like a normal song. I'm very impressed that you don't stand still, and this is unexpectedly dancy and really works well with your vocal.   

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 10:21:39 PM »
Beautiful lyrics and a lovely tribute to your friend. It's more upbeat from a musical perspective than I expected but I think that works really well. As always, that lovely rich vocal.. beautiful delivery.. great sax vocals and I love they organ under it - works really well!

Great stuff altogether...

Good luck with the album @montydog !! I'll go check it out!

K

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 12:35:17 PM »
Beautifully written lyrics Alan. There's is much to reflect on here: the passing of youth, a feeling that perhaps our best days are behind us and the awareness that the end of our lives is imminent.  I live the verse that centres upon 'the ancient words I wrote for you'.

Musically, this one is wearing a very different suit of clothes to your usual style.  The saxophone at the nd is delightful. Lovely clearly vocals and full production but for me, the highlight is the considered lyrics, poignant to any sentient being who reflects upon lifes rich and sometimes rock your road.

Paul

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 12:32:24 PM »
I was surprised by the song, the intro
and then your voice has put everything in her place.
Good song, as always, good mix and new style. I love the arrangement and how you have handled the melodies with your voice.
Once again I am your fan fan fan.
The casual contrast of the instrumental base with the depth of your voice and the story give it a very particular style that accentuates the depth of the lyrics.
Very good idea of the sax, I love it @montydog

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 05:44:13 AM »
Well everything been said that I would say about this song, so I'll just say that I really like this new sound Alan, even though I love what you normally do  :-* it's good to break away sometimes and this sentimental song somehow suits the upbeat vibe :) Good luck with your new album. I'll check it out :)