Patience

• 11 Replies

Andyb

« on: February 06, 2021, 03:05:16 PM »
A very grungey track to reflect the music I grew up on
this will be apart of a concept EP celebrating the Seattle music scene from the 90s
I rattled this together in a couple of days - I'm really pleased with the result
https://soundcloud.com/user-214476590/patience

UPDATE:
I purposely  haven't included the lyrics as I read a long time ago Kurt Cobain wasn't bothered about the actual lyrics but more the "shape" of those words (syllabic) and how they fitted in to the song rhythmically, for instance " A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido" in themselves  nonsensical but in the context of the song the word shapes fit the music well. I adopted a similar approach to this song so there is no deep and meaningful poetry within but rather a feeling of being an outsider  / not fitting in, the very definition of grunge IMO

Further Update: Ive put together a wee lyric video for the track below
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 01:42:48 PM by Andyb »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 10:30:17 PM »
Rattled together in a couple of days, eh?? So impressive.. Always love your stuff and this has a great grungey feel to it... Everything played to a high level - great sound @Andyb and as ever that great vocal..

Great stuff..
Karen.

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 09:49:05 PM »
Really strong guitars...everything, really. Fantastic vocals.

I love the changes this tune goes through.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 10:25:53 PM »
This is great. Anyone remember The Presidents of The USA? The vocal style is different but I can hear a similarity in the instrumentation which is no bad thing for me. I distorted guitars work really well and it has a memorable vocal hook. Nothing I can fault here at all..love it!! :)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »
Not normally my genre, but you do it very well. Very Nirvana, but with you own twist of originality.

Kevin

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 11:52:09 AM »
@Andyb
Oh boy, do I hate grunge! I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks Nirvana are terrible. This obviously leaves me with a problem as a reviewer. How do I tell if it's any good or not when it all sounds the same/unpleasant to my ears? Some lyrics would have really helped me out here as I struggle to hear all of what you're singing over the muscular instrumentals.
So I'm going to say that it sounds to me like Nirvana and other grunge bands I have stumbled across who clearly have got record deals and a fan following. On this basis, it seems a good grunge record to these uneducated ears.
M

Andyb

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 12:16:18 PM »
@MonnoDB thanks so much for your kind words
@Unclenny thank you that means a lot
@ChrisPrice thanks man, I remember presidents of the USA well !
@kevysc it means a lot when people leave positive comments especially when its music outwith their usual listening preferences
@montydog ha ha well if you hate grunge  and your not a fan of this then I guess Ive done my job properly lol I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment anyway thank you

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 12:26:09 PM »
@Andyb,

A really cool track. Ear piercing intro then into an instantly catchy soundscape. Interestingly, I'm hearing XTC in there too. That's never a bad thing. Kudos for the added vocals, something that we all omit to include at times.

Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
@Andyb

Hi, always enjoy your stuff, this is no exception. Great grungy sound. I would have preferred the drums up in the mix and a bit punchier, but thats nit picking!

Cheers

Jamie

Andyb

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 05:37:00 PM »
Cheers @Jamie I tried to use Nirvana bleach as production reference but even still it came out too clean and "digital" than I originally wanted -  I think if I'd pushed it and got it as lofi as I wanted people would just comment on the poor quality of the recording / production lol

The Holographic Rodeo

• Open Mic
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 05:41:10 PM »
Ah - one of my favourite eras and genres of music - and this is song is a great tribute to it. I hear some Scott Weiland influence in particular here in the vocal tone and phrasings. The riff is good, and melodic stylings are definitely typical of the era. Possibly could have been more aggressive/adventurous with the lead guitar break at 1:50ish and in the outro -  ie I don't mean with fancy playing, but more outrageous and edgy note choices  to create some grungey dissonance? Overall though I enjoyed this and am intrigued to hear more of this EP you describe you're making :)

Andyb

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
@The Holographic Rodeo
Appreciate the comments. Historically I exclusively used a bass on my other recordings but for this ep I wanted a more authentic sound so I got my first electric guitar at Christmas so I'm very much a newbie guitarist hence the lack of creative playing