konalavadome

Still Running

• 7 Replies

The Holographic Rodeo

• Busker
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« on: January 11, 2021, 05:33:52 PM »
I wrote this song last October as the first track on an EP I was trying to do, but have recently been tinkering with the mix. The song is called 'Still Running' because its kindof a sequel to a song called 'Running Away' that I wrote a couple of years before. Its about how we're all constantly striving and pushing for more and better and progress and how we can sometimes, without realising it, end up leaving behind things that we value most of all (such as free time, and a sense of fun) as a result of that.

Im looking for feedback on any aspect really but in particular whether the guitar parts in the chorus work ok as Ive gone back and forth a bit with those, plus I had to use melodyne on the vocals in places because I was really struggling to hit all the notes spot on when singing the verse on this one, so am curious as to whether I have been too heavy-handed when using it and whether its noticeable I have done this.

Here's the lyrics:

Sometimes its so hard to refrain
Run away they run away they run
Into the jaws of the mundane
They don’t remember the past anyway

Into the distance old times fade
As they and as they and run
Chasing illusory accolades
They got no time for the past anyway
They got no time for the past and the way tt whispers all that could have been instead 

And so with broken legs I race
I run away i run away I run
Into the mist and endless maze
We mustn’t dwell on the past anyway

Don’t recall why I gone this way
As I run and as I run and run
Forgot if its pursuit or escape
No good to live in the past anyway
No point to live in the past and the way it whispers all that should have been, regret 

But I just want to go back
I just want to go back
I just want to go back
Re-begin, reconnect, repay the sins, fix the past

No one has the time to realise what this is

Why do we see so much to gain
To run away to run away and then
One day we find its all in vein
Can never hide from the past anyway
We’ve all been made from the past in a way its why sometimes the answers lie within

And its why I just want to go back
I just want to go back
I just want to go back

https://soundcloud.com/user-447063873/still-running-new-mix
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 05:39:38 PM by The Holographic Rodeo »

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 06:43:29 PM »
What a great noise HR! Powerful yet melodic and some great shredding too!... (puts me in mind of Drenge who I think are great) I’ve never tried to record something thing like this which has a lot of distortion and powerful drumming yet you’ve still managed to create a really clear mix with no mud and still got a whole load of power- nice!
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:28:12 PM »
Hi, loved the guitars and drums. Good chord structure too, went in some interesting directions! Vocals were somewhere between Muse and QOTSA. Both bands I've seen and love. Very enjoyable listen!

Cheers

Jamie

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 11:48:00 AM »
Hola @The Holographic Rodeo

Eres estupendo!!!
Your song has a hook from the beginning despite the style of the arrangement, guitars full,

The changes that appear are great, a very interesting mix. in the part where the guitar is left alone with the drums, I would add some more reverb or exaggerate its volume more so that this void of movement does not make the song fall, it does not deserve it.
Very good work and good lyrics.

Hasta siempre

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »
@The Holographic Rodeo,  really interesting name that conjures up all kinds of imagery.  This is an energetic rocker, perhaps even frantic.  A really welcome slowed down break too before the high energy solo is reintroduced.  The vocals are a little lost against the musical backdrop and yet his is for me a great shame as they are very good.  I think there's a beter mix to be discovered but this is a fine presentation.

Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:48:31 PM »
Hi @The Holographic Rodeo
I echo what Wicked Deeds has said about the mix and yes, it is a bit frantic for my taste. Hard for me to review this objectively because this style of music is way outside what I would choose to listen to. I could never do what you have done here which exhibits some serious playing ability. I didn't spot anything weird about your vocal tunings - all sounded good. Variety is the spice of the forum so thanks for injecting some energy.
M

The Holographic Rodeo

• Busker
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 06:37:42 AM »
Thanks for the comments and feedback so far everyone. @man made material , I think the key to avoiding the mud with lots of distorted instruments is in the EQ - ie cutting all the low frequencies out of the guitars to create space for the bass, and using panning to make sure everything spread out away from each other. I haven't heard of Drenge; I'll have to check them out.

@moraamarolaloba - good idea, I might experiment with some sort of echo on the vocals during the mid section.

@montydog - appreciate the comments, I know what its like commenting on genres that are less familiar and glad the vocals haven't jumped out as being over-treated with melodyn. This ones a bit faster-paced than my norm too.

@Wicked Deeds - thanks for comments. I was going for a frantic feel for this one to fit with the lyrical content. I think you're right on the mix though - I've been having another play about with it to bring the vocals up a bit more, and think its slowly getting there

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 10:58:49 AM »
Fabulous stuff! Great guitars and some nice details in the production as well. Changes of pace are really hard to do and this one really works well. I also got some Muse or even a bit of The Darkness (guilty pleasure!)
The lyrics also repay some study (refrain, mundane, accolades...) - to an extent it's a shame they are a bit buried but that's a trade off and on balance I think the mix is probably what it needs to be for the overall feel - those who stay will get the lyrics eventually.