Forum Faves - December

• 6 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« on: January 09, 2021, 09:40:29 PM »
Hi All!

Well it’s taken me longer to get to this than I thought… What a great bunch of songs - which of course makes the listening a pleasure but the whittling down a trial. I remember this from doing SOTM - it’s agonising paring out songs that I really admire and over the past week, shortlist has changed about 3 or 4 times. I now have 9 reviews written as I changed my mind so many times so apologies to those I’ve bounced off the final list… there were a couple in particular I agonised over big time and probably will suffer guilt (having been schooled by nuns and all that - we're good at guilt over here  ;D ;D) and well done to all who put their work out there in December to make this a pleasurable but difficult job.

So for what it's worth.. here are my picks.. 6 in the end as I just couldn't remove any of these...  In no particular order:

My Untold Valentine: @MichaelA

Touching and sweet…… except it’s not.. Which to me is the beauty of it.. It sounds like a melancholic forlorn love song but the darkness sets it apart.  Lyrics and the theme are the stars for me in this one. So original.. it’s a huge strength of Michael's to be able to conjure up a story that no-one else would imagine as a theme for a song. And while I love his quirky material, he knows I'll always prefer his more serious stuff, but as quirky goes, this has a lovely dark edge to it.

And as has been said, all on an iPad - bravo!

Giant Balls of Fire - @pompeyjazz and @Melusine2

Such an engaging intro.. and it continues to delight through to the end. Great drums, that sitar motif is a complete ear worm and I’m always going to gravitate towards jazzy chords. The chorus is spectacular - especially with that motif it gave me a bit of a hint of Coldplay (I mean it as a compliment :)) in so far as it feels anthemic with such fantastic build and wonderful harmonies… That with the great theme (brought Bowie to mind). This one ticked all of my boxes..

Perforated Nights - @rightly

This one would nearly make the list for the title alone… makes you want to listen which is a good start :) ..  I really like the instrumentation choices - some really interesting things going on.. the strings, the percussion, the harmonies. Lyrics are intriguing… I think you could write a movie about this couple..  and I guess that’s the real power of this song - I have the story clear in my head about these two .. I can see them! It’s probably not what you see but that never matters. Beautifully done..

Wherever you are @kafla

Your songs are always so full of vivid imagery - they really bring me right into your room with you, and into the stories you describe. I feel like I’m sitting on your couch listening to you sing with your eyes closed.. This one too.. And your signature rich voice and (for me so important) beautiful melodies… This one makes me want to hit repeat as usual - always the sign of a top notch song. Beautifully done Andy. Don’t stay away too long now!

How Much: @PaulAds

Gritty vocal, fantastic lyrics as per - perfect for our current screwed up times. You probably know by now that I’m a fan of your songs including your performance and production - this is of course aided by the style being right up my street… so I’ve been surprised lately to read the threads where you do yourself down. You shouldn’t IMO - I’d love to be able to produce stuff like this.. Top quality, very you - great to hear a new quality track from you and I hope this heralds a return to more… Super stuff..

Smoke: @moraamarolaloba

I am always immediately drawn into your work, this one possibly more even than most so I’m delighted that it’s a December release :) You say “despite” your accent. It’s part of the package Mora - don’t apologise for it. There are some fantastic lyrics in this - you paint a very vivid picture of a very intense but unrealised love. And reinforced by that fantastic moody beat. Really wonderful stuff..

That's all folks! I'm off now to try and throw off that guilt and hope you enjoy a listen to these great songs.

Happy New Year!

Karen

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 10:32:53 AM »
A huge thank you @MonnoDB Karen for taking the time and effort to get this together and absolutely delighted and honored to be included in the list. Some smashing songs in December as always. Congrats to all  :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 11:47:35 AM »
Most honoured to be in this month's fave selection. Nice work Karen, obviously a woman of taste  ;) and much appreciation for your work in hosting. I never knew about your nun's schooling, but obviously explains a lot!  ;D

Maybe @Boydie could sticky this post please (and @PaulAds one from last month which seemed to have landed in the 'Competitions' section of the site.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:07:10 PM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 02:03:43 PM »
Maybe @Boydie could sticky this post please (and @PaulAds one from last month which seemed to have landed in the 'Competitions' section of the site.)

@MichaelA @PaulAds

All done  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 02:37:47 PM »
Cheers @Boydie :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 06:43:22 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to do this, Karen @MonnoDB

It's quite an undertaking and is very much appreciated...without folks putting in the time and effort like this...the forum would likely fall apart.

You have more than done your bit and can have the rest of the year off, now :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 11:24:22 PM »
yes thanks Karen
I'm thrilled to be included!!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly