Songwriting is 10 times easier than production !

• 20 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 01:47:11 PM »
Production always takes a lot of hours. Writing a song can either be quick (see last year's one session challenge, FAWM etc.) or much longer (I can agonise over one line for 90 days, I won't say quite happily, but quite easily).

While production isn't just scientific, there's usually a destination and steps to get there - how do I get this part to sound like what I hear in my head. With writing the destination is undefined - am I "happy" with it, am I saying what I want to say / conveying what I want to convey.

Production = more of a left brain thing? Writing = more of a right brain thing?!?!!???!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 03:50:57 PM »
I wouldn't say 10 times easier.....clearly it is to you WD. I've got songs that still lack a final verse though the rest came fairly easy but yes, if the inspiration endures, a song could be knocked off fairly quickly.

Production is always going to take longer than your quick inspiration write. If you're going for anything more than a simple guitar/vocal just the arrangement can be a long process. And the more you put in it the more possibilities open up. I'm enjoying that side of things though more now than the writing.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 08:44:26 AM »
There has been a fantastic response to this thread and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I din't get a chance to get involved yesterday as I was working a very long day so thank you to everyone who expressed their thoughts. 

Responses are clearly subjective, including mine.  The 10 times easier title for me is related to time devoted to writing and prduction.  Increasingly the two disciplines are difficult to separate.  Perhaps the modern songwriter is both a writer and producer and therefore the two shouldn't be viewed separately. There is great satisfaction to be gained from presenting a song that's is purely your own, from writing to musicianship to production.

It's not that I don't know how to produce or that I'm really slow at employing the processes, rather I fixate on the smallest details until I achieve what I want.  I hardly ever compromise or make do. There's definitely an element of OCD here for me.  On the other hand, I can decide to write on almost any given day on my first instrument (guitar) and nail the song very, very quickly. I can also do that on piano though I am not as accomplished as I am at playing guitar. I find the songwriting part easy.  For me, there are far more elements involved in a successful production than there are in writing a song. There are far more choices and decisions to be made. 

I agree as @kafla said, it's all in the writing. You must begin with a great song.  However, that's not my point.  I might decide to produce a song for someone though I don't think, it is well written. I'l still lock horns with the production and make that song as good as it possibly can be, even improve upon the original.  It will still take a tremendous amount of time to finish that  production. 

Everything I read about this does suggest to me that many modern songwriters are both writers and producers and that the two disciplines are difficult to separate, unless of course, you employ someone to produce for you. 

The modern home writer producer has so many tools and virtual instruments at his/fingertips. Decisions, decisions, decisions! Perhaps learning to discipline yourself is a great asset here.   I acknowledge that the production time can be shortened depending on the genre of music that is being produced.

Anyway, this is very subjective. I still believe that for me at least, songwriting is 10 times easier than production.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:47:13 AM by Wicked Deeds »

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 05:12:07 PM »
That's my opinion!  Songwriting is the easy part. A good Production takes much more time and requires far greater skill to get it right!  Opening this one up for everyone.  It would be great to hear your opinions.

you needn't hear my opinion Paul.
I agree with you completely!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 12:21:05 AM »
Hi all, an interesting thread. Measurement of things is always vital to understanding improvement and this is true here as it is in every important activity. But, what are you measuring, and from when? The assertion is that songwriting is easy compared to production.

What are the elements of input to your ability to conceive and write a song? How much music have you listened to and studied? How many hours of training and practice went into your ability to learn your instrument/s? How many songs written by others have you played and sung? How many songs or ideas have you discarded? You get the idea, I could add literature and other inputs.......Once you have your song, what’s the instrumentation, what’s the structure,the arrangement ?

Then when it comes to production then that’s another minefield. If you are using a DAW your ability to use computers and software will have an impact. If you have an organised mind/way of working you will save lots of time. If you read about the terminology and use of studio tools, how much time does that take before you even work on a song.
Anyway, you get the picture it’s too difficult imho to be as clear about this question as it appears.
And, this is before we even get the question of some songwriters genius.

My three pence worth......😎😂, but what do I know.....

Cheers

Jamie

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 08:15:06 AM »
Here's the thing about "easy".   Pablo Casals once was asked if it's hard to paint a masterpiece.  His answer was, "No. . . It's either easy, or it's impossible."   Lyric writing and finding vocal melodies are easy for me.  As easy as falling off a bicycle. 

Everything else about writing is 'almost impossible.'  Part of that is talent limitations.  Part of it is lack of education in music and "the rest of it." 

I find Production incomprehensible.  But here is the important point.  Some people don't.  For some, Production is the part that is "as easy as falling off a bicycle."  There is no single answer that fits each person regarding what is easy and what is hard, OR what you should or should not undertake to do yourself instead of getting help with. 

I'll add one thing.  I visited the Reverbnation website of the guy who wrote the Kenny Rogers song "The Gambler."  He had posted the original version as he wrote it.  The production was bad.  The vocals were bad.  The guitar work was adequate at best.  IT WAS STILL A GREAT SONG. 

When Leonard Cohen recorded "Hallellujah,"  I have read that no one in the industry liked it except Bob Dylan.  I know I still don't like the Cohen version.  The vocal just doesn't inspire me.   But -- again -- it's still an obviously incredible song. 

Production and writing are both vital I suspect.  But it has to start with the writing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:28:48 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.