konalavadome

I Need A Friend (More than I need the truth)

• 21 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: January 02, 2021, 04:06:21 PM »
Hello everyone,

Happy New year to one and all and hope it finds you all well.

A new song from me which is basically about paying the price for previous sins and wanting someone to just be there for you and not judge. I don't remember much about writing this as it's been a few months but I would appreciate all comments.

Many thanks

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/i-need-a-friendmore-than-i-need-the-truth

I need a friend
More than I need the truth
You can tell me lies
I'm not asking for proof
If I've been a fool, don't say a word
Just turn your head away
I'm not getting any wiser
Too much wasted on the way

It's easy when you're a child
Lying looking at the sky
But one day you start to thinking
Why is it only birds can fly
So then you reach up too far
Just a little bit higher
But that bright blinking star
Is a raging, burning fire

The sun is a silver shadow
Through the sycamore trees
On the morning of my reckoning
On foolish days like these
Every rock I've thrown
And every word of a lie
Will all come back to me
In the waiting bye and bye

Long are the days
As long as forever
Strange are the ways
Of years without measure

The water's a crystal blue
Overhead a song bird flies
And today will defy me
And leave me asking why

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 05:01:05 PM »
Some lovely touches in here...which keep the quality levels high although it doesn't really sound like one of your top-drawer numbers...you've been spoiling us lately with a succession of really strong songs...and I think this maybe sounds like it wasn't quite as inspired...but you can't whack every ball into the car-park!

Your vocals are super and it sounds very polished and well-crafted. Your ability to write quality lyrics is always evident and is on display here, without really getting into top gear.

The string line seemed to be a bit of a distraction for the lead vocal early on in the song...I don't know if it was in there when you recorded the vocal and might have been better held back a little. It's lovely and sounds great...I just wondered if it was a little overpowering...just a thought anyway...

I really enjoyed the change around 2:00. Nice solo there too.

Brilliant harmony vocals as well. A lot of your stuff has a timeless appeal...I think this further cements your reputation as being the housewives choice...a very cool place to be.

Happy New Year!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 05:09:12 PM »
I love how @PaulAds calls you "the housewives choice". I definitely get that and you should embrace the title.

I like this tune and I like your style a lot.......the way you have your vocals right out front like that. Great instrumentation in this one and that title line is an excellent lyrical hook.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 07:04:30 PM »
Very nice Alan.
That violin is sounding very good...yes especially shines through the section before the drums kick in...very folky sound.
The bridge is in a good place there with the nice pedal steel or whatever it is solo though I wondered if the fourth line of that could have moved to...er...I suppose it would be the dominant...to set up the solo. Too obvious perhaps? And you're the boss!
All sounds good and I'm sure the housewives will be happy, you old smoothie!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

The Holographic Rodeo

• Busker
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 10:44:31 AM »
Hi @montydog. Really liked these lyrics and can relate to them a bit. I get this interpretation that's probably a bit different to the intent you described in the intro though - I read it as someone who starts off seeking friends who will tell them lies to make life comfortable, but then as time goes on they suffer the mistakes and misfortunes that come about perhaps because those friends hasn't advised them with honesty how to keep their feet on the ground and told the narrator the things they might not want to hear. Am I miles off?

Really nice instrumentation and a great polished sound with smooth vocals. I wonder if theres a bit of space left in the stereo image to add something extra here - the piano which is panned in my left speaker sounds really good and full - but in my right speaker I wonder if it needs something in addition to the strings that come & go - ie perhaps doubling that acoustic guitar and panning it hard right to make the sound a bit wider and fuller. Could be my rubbish speakers too though :)

Happy new year!

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 12:38:58 PM »
Today is the day of calm, it seems to be ...
And your song takes me by the hand through the landscape of your soul.
I don't know if it's because of what is happening to all of us lately but your song has moved me because of its intimacy, sincerity, images of acceptance and beauty ...
Yes, it is true, everything is returned to us in one way or another.
I really like the sound and the arrangement, everything goes according to the message.
Apart from other lines, I love this one :
"On the morning of my reckoning"

Stay safe and have a GOOD 2021

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 01:26:18 PM »
@montydog,

The title alone is worth serious consideration.  Super instrumentation.  I wish that you had explored that wonderful theme of friendship and truth.  It is such a rich vein of inspiration and i am sure that many of us can relate to such a theme.  Qualitywork as always, lifted by the beautiful violin.

Paul

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 06:56:46 PM »
Lovely sentimental sound and instrumentation, very melancholic and introspective lyrics, and the opening couplet cuts right to the core ‘I need a friend
More than I need the truth’ nicely put👍
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 01:04:45 PM »
Ah, you did it once again Alan, lovely song, lovely vocals, well executed and produced!
I found the violin and acoustic having a bit too much reverb putting the too far behind the vocals, apart from that A+ for production.

Second suggestion (based on my very personal preferences of course) would be re the arrangement. I would have saved that exquisite violin for later and having the first verse just 1+1. Maybe then add the violin but leave the bass/drums out a little longer etc. Would make for a more defined "build" from start to end.

Just my $0.05 of course, fab as-is, well done!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 05:49:24 PM »
Hi Alan, what a lovely smooth sound, the whole thing just whisks you away gently on a cloud. Very nice stuff.

I was really engaged by that opening verse, and the theme of needing a friend more than truth, and I can certainly relate to that right now, ha ha! So that idea of a relationship was perhaps more compelling for me than some of the more abstract philosophical lyrics that followed. But I am glad you refrained the original concept at the end.

But it is a lovely song, and the smooth sound seems to fit together seamlessly, but all those delicate touches are obviously not easy to come up with, nor to execute. But you are very good at that kind of thing, as we keep seeing over and over  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 06:55:36 PM »
Impeccably performed and played Alan. Your voice is perfect for this type of song. It's very smooth. I can imagine it being played on an A.O.R station

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 01:55:43 PM »
@montydog
Hi Alan, really authentic celtic feel to the opening with the guitar and violin. It then veers into Johnny Cash territory. Loved the slide guitar again, very nice. It all sits nicely with your vocal style.

Cheers

Jamie

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 03:42:42 PM »
Hello all,
Many thanks for all the comments - much appreciated as always. I knew this wasn't my best recent song - it's not strong enough to make it onto the next CD but I thought it explored something I hadn't written about before.

Some lovely touches in here...which keep the quality levels high although it doesn't really sound like one of your top-drawer numbers...you've been spoiling us lately with a succession of really strong songs...and I think this maybe sounds like it wasn't quite as inspired...but you can't whack every ball into the car-park!

Your vocals are super and it sounds very polished and well-crafted. Your ability to write quality lyrics is always evident and is on display here, without really getting into top gear.

The string line seemed to be a bit of a distraction for the lead vocal early on in the song...I don't know if it was in there when you recorded the vocal and might have been better held back a little. It's lovely and sounds great...I just wondered if it was a little overpowering...just a thought anyway...

I really enjoyed the change around 2:00. Nice solo there too.

Brilliant harmony vocals as well. A lot of your stuff has a timeless appeal...I think this further cements your reputation as being the housewives choice...a very cool place to be.

Happy New Year!

@PaulAds Spot on comments. It's not my strongest song - see my comments above. I'm pleased that you found things to like particularly my dobro solo. Happy New Year to you too :-)
M

@montydog
Hi Alan, really authentic celtic feel to the opening with the guitar and violin. It then veers into Johnny Cash territory. Loved the slide guitar again, very nice. It all sits nicely with your vocal style.

Cheers

Jamie
@Jamie Pleased that you liked it. The slide guitar is actually my dobro which is an acoustic resonator guitar played lap style with a steel bar. Thanks for the positive feedback.
M

Impeccably performed and played Alan. Your voice is perfect for this type of song. It's very smooth. I can imagine it being played on an A.O.R station

@pompeyjazz Smooth is good and I thank you for your lovely comments.

Hi Alan, what a lovely smooth sound, the whole thing just whisks you away gently on a cloud. Very nice stuff.

I was really engaged by that opening verse, and the theme of needing a friend more than truth, and I can certainly relate to that right now, ha ha! So that idea of a relationship was perhaps more compelling for me than some of the more abstract philosophical lyrics that followed. But I am glad you refrained the original concept at the end.

But it is a lovely song, and the smooth sound seems to fit together seamlessly, but all those delicate touches are obviously not easy to come up with, nor to execute. But you are very good at that kind of thing, as we keep seeing over and over  ;)

@MichaelA Thank you for the kind words. I think you are right - I could have kept it more to the idea of the first verse rather than disappearing up my fundament!

Ah, you did it once again Alan, lovely song, lovely vocals, well executed and produced!
I found the violin and acoustic having a bit too much reverb putting the too far behind the vocals, apart from that A+ for production.

Second suggestion (based on my very personal preferences of course) would be re the arrangement. I would have saved that exquisite violin for later and having the first verse just 1+1. Maybe then add the violin but leave the bass/drums out a little longer etc. Would make for a more defined "build" from start to end.

Just my $0.05 of course, fab as-is, well done!

@Jambrains I take your point about the build. With this I wanted to establish a mood straight away and get away from the gradual build pattern which can become a little predictable. I take your suggestions with respect to the placing of instruments on board. Thank you.

Lovely sentimental sound and instrumentation, very melancholic and introspective lyrics, and the opening couplet cuts right to the core ‘I need a friend
More than I need the truth’ nicely put👍

@man made material Hi and thanks for the kind words. Melancholic is my middle name and musical calling card - can't get away from it. I've tried but I realise it's hopeless to go against the flow!

@montydog,

The title alone is worth serious consideration.  Super instrumentation.  I wish that you had explored that wonderful theme of friendship and truth.  It is such a rich vein of inspiration and i am sure that many of us can relate to such a theme.  Qualitywork as always, lifted by the beautiful violin.

Paul

@Wicked Deeds Thanks for the comments, Paul and for listening to my melancholic ramblings.

Today is the day of calm, it seems to be ...
And your song takes me by the hand through the landscape of your soul.
I don't know if it's because of what is happening to all of us lately but your song has moved me because of its intimacy, sincerity, images of acceptance and beauty ...
Yes, it is true, everything is returned to us in one way or another.
I really like the sound and the arrangement, everything goes according to the message.
Apart from other lines, I love this one :
"On the morning of my reckoning"

Stay safe and have a GOOD 2021

Mora

@moraamarolaloba Hi - your words move me as your music does. Many thanks.

Hi @montydog. Really liked these lyrics and can relate to them a bit. I get this interpretation that's probably a bit different to the intent you described in the intro though - I read it as someone who starts off seeking friends who will tell them lies to make life comfortable, but then as time goes on they suffer the mistakes and misfortunes that come about perhaps because those friends hasn't advised them with honesty how to keep their feet on the ground and told the narrator the things they might not want to hear. Am I miles off?

Really nice instrumentation and a great polished sound with smooth vocals. I wonder if theres a bit of space left in the stereo image to add something extra here - the piano which is panned in my left speaker sounds really good and full - but in my right speaker I wonder if it needs something in addition to the strings that come & go - ie perhaps doubling that acoustic guitar and panning it hard right to make the sound a bit wider and fuller. Could be my rubbish speakers too though :)

Happy new year!

@The Holographic Rodeo Thank you for your detailed review. Yes, you are spot on about what the song describes - very perceptive. Thank you for your ideas about the instrumentation and mix - I think you have a good point.

Very nice Alan.
That violin is sounding very good...yes especially shines through the section before the drums kick in...very folky sound.
The bridge is in a good place there with the nice pedal steel or whatever it is solo though I wondered if the fourth line of that could have moved to...er...I suppose it would be the dominant...to set up the solo. Too obvious perhaps? And you're the boss!
All sounds good and I'm sure the housewives will be happy, you old smoothie!

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra Hi and thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Housewives eh? Not sure what Mrs M would say about that! The solo isn't a pedal steel it's me playing a dobro which is an acoustic resonator guitar played on the lap with a steel bar. Sounds a bit like a pedal steel but it a whole world easier to play! My musical theory knowledge doesn't stretch to understand quite what you mean about the solo - I just play what sounds natural to me.

I love how @PaulAds calls you "the housewives choice". I definitely get that and you should embrace the title.

I like this tune and I like your style a lot.......the way you have your vocals right out front like that. Great instrumentation in this one and that title line is an excellent lyrical hook.

@Unclenny Hi and thanks for the kind words. This housewives choice thing is getting out of hand - I'm going to have to unleash my inner Iggy Pop!

Once again thank you to all who commented and Happy New Year to all. (And death to Covid)
M

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »
Consistent quality from you my friend, loved the lead break 2 thirds through and very thought provoking lyrics, thought the violin should have not been in the first verse, I felt it was fighting with your vocal a bit..but nevertheless, super song.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 07:26:15 PM »
Fantastic title. For me it was a bit of a song of two halves - the violin part and then the dobro part. The violin is lovely and I missed it from around 2' when it (mostly) disappeared. I think I might have preferred a violin solo (like right at the end) to keep a similar vibe.

It's a good listen - not quite as grabbing as some of yours but definitely suits the whistful mood of the song.