Loose Change

• 20 Replies

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« on: December 24, 2020, 03:08:31 PM »
With some time off for the holidays I can do more listening and maybe even get something new going in the studio. For now, though, here's something from some years ago that I dug up from my back pages.

Chuckling after writing out the lyrics....an awful lot of words for a mere 2:47.  8)

Loose Change
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=11362553

I'm stranded on this rock
With nothin' up my sleeve
I hear all the talk
But I just don't know what to believe
'Cause these times are so strange
I got my hands in my pockets
And there's nothin' else there but loose change

We're stuck here on this rock
Stuck here in this town
Stuck here waiting
For the good times to come back around
And I can feel your pain
I'd really like to help you
But all I got here
Is loose change

INSTRUMENTAL

And while the days go slow
Time flies like a rocket
Guess I won't change much
With my hands in my pockets
Here's a little secret
It's just a little seed
If I dig a little deeper
I'll find just what we need
It might make a difference
It might ease a little pain
Things may seem a little loose
But they're still bound to change

I see you standing in the doorways
And standing in lines
And while I can't stand giving up
The things I hold as mine
If I had a little more
I'd think of giving some to you
But when I stop and think it over
I know just what to do
I'll dig down deep
And see if I can find
Loose change

It isn't really mine
So I'll drop some in your bucket
Buddy I can spare you a dime
'Cause with times the way they are
We could all use a little change
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 08:08:38 PM »
Hola @Unclenny
Cómo estás? I liked your song, its spirit, calm way to tell realities... I love the change over 1'25 it gave the sun joy and sun.
It's curious, lyrics could take me to the today even having been written years ago.

Love this
"I got my hands in my pockets
And there's nothin' else there but loose change"

Stay safe and Merry Christmas!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 08:29:47 PM »
@Unclenny,

Great imagery re hands in pockets and loose change. I'm really enjoying the limited pallete of sounds and then suddenly your  song springs to life with  a lovely contrasting, fuller musicsl section. It's a cool song for sure!

Paul

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 01:00:14 AM »
Hey there..............great song. Love the metaphor with the loose change.
Thought provoking, and musically gritty. Love that bayou blues feeling. Awesome harmonica............the keys are a nice touch, as well.
Great stuff, and full of surprises!
                                                       -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 04:33:43 PM »
@moraamarolaloba .........I'm glad that you think these lyrics are still timely. I do as well. Thank you for listening, Mora.

@Wicked Deeds .......thanks for that, Paul. That middle section does take the song in a slightly different direction.

@IronKnee .......thanks for you appreciation, especially for the harmonica. It's funny.....back in my youth I actually played harp a lot with a full blues rock band. I don't go to it very often these days. Thanks so much for listening, Tom.

Steve

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 01:58:19 PM »
@Unclenny
Instrumentally this is gorgeous - the picked acoustic combined with the harmonica is so emotive. I also love your vocal tone - I would kill to have that authenticity. Lyrics are great with some good lines - "Buddy I can spare you a dime 'Cause with times the way they are We could all use a little change"is a great phrase. Where I'm not so convinced is in the thin melody and awkward phrasing where you're trying to get too many words in to the line. It's a good song and with a stronger melody and a little more work on the lyrics/lines balance it could be a great one.
M

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 03:53:11 PM »
@montydog .....I have to say that your comments and critiques of this tune pretty much exemplify my musical style and capabilities perfectly.  ;)

If you listen to just about anything in my catalog you'll notice that melody is definitely my weak point. Most songs are only 3 or 4 basic chords. The honest truth is that I am very weak on music theory and I am not a very accomplished player in general. Add to that the fact that I'm really not much of a singer and, well....there you have it.  :)

I realized all that years ago and knew that the only way to compensate for my inherent weaknesses was to stay within my limits and just put myself out there with as much honesty and feeling as possible to at least be authentic.  8)

I really appreciate your kind words as well as your spot on critique.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »
@Unclenny This has a great vibe to it. I love the up front vocals and the imagery that you conjure up with the lyrics. Lovely acoustic guitar sound and nice harp too. Quality piece of work for sure  :)

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 01:36:08 PM »
Thanks for that @pompeyjazz .......I appreciate you giving this one a listen.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »
I like the attitude and message of this. And it's kinda amazing how something you wrote years ago seems so topical at the moment!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 04:40:30 PM »
Great cinematic feel to this...

The sounds (guitar especially) has a super rustic, roots-y feel to it which stamps its authenticity on the song. There are a lot of words, but there are only a couple of times where they seem to overwhelm the music. "Once upon a time in the West" sprung to mind for some reason. When it lifted, I wasn't expecting it at all...then settled back into it's groove nicely.

Vocals sound suitably lived-in and had a world-weariness that seemed to suggest that the good times might not be coming back anytime soon...if ever.

Nice song!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 05:14:26 PM »
Hey @PaulAds ....thanks for checking this one out. I'm glad that the change up caught you like that and I appreciate your insight into the storyline. Yeah, that old Stella guitar has a seriously authentic sound.

@CaliaMoko ......yes, when I stumbled back upon this one it was somewhere around #150 in my catalog. I was surprised at how well it fit into the feeling of these days. Thanks for listening to it.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 07:20:24 PM »
Really enjoyed this Lenny.
Nice feel all the way through and love all the instrumentation. Organ sounds lovely....hey so does the guitar ....and the harp...and you've got a great voice for this kind of thing!
I think the melody is fine....you're kind of restrained in that area when you're doing a blues kind of thing so I wouldn' worry about that.... it's just good as it is anyway and the bridge makes a nice move away from the regular pattern to give the song an original twist.
All nicely played and sung and most importantly a good listen.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 12:57:34 PM »
Love this! Vox is a perfect fit for the song, great acoustic and the harmonica is to die for!
The part after the instrumental was a little of a let down for me though, felt like it changed the whole mood too much, almost like it was something salvaged from another song.
Just my personal prefs of course, ymmv and as I said, they rest I love :-)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 05:29:11 PM »
Hi Lenny, I really love that bluesey pickin’ riff that underpins this song, well thought up and very well played too. You guys over there have been having fun this week, so don’t give all your loose change away, you may need it!  ;D

The harmonica playing is top notch too and one of your best examples. Very tight and disciplined, and all the better for keeping the whole thing short and sweet and full of punch.

Nice work and Happy New Year  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860