1. Christmas Intros Teaser Game

• 11 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: December 20, 2020, 01:56:07 PM »
Hi everyone, Happy Christmas! I was playing a certain Christmas song intro on the Friday Zoom call and that got me smiling and thinking I would put up this little bit of amusement for you. So if you want to play along, this is a Classic Christmas Song Intro game.

The Soundcloud file below features 10 brief intros of Christmas songs. (Except one song is actually an outro.) For each song you have to name:

1) The Song (1 point)
2) The artist name (1 point)
3) The year of release, or one year either side (1 point)

So that's three possible points per song and a max of 30 points for the whole game.

The very rough recording by me (ipad inbuilt mic held up to a loudspeaker!  ::) ) features 10 songs with a few seconds silent gap between each of them. You can stop the track if you need more time, but you shouldn't replay anything more than twice max. No more than FIVE MINUTES to complete. No Googling or other internet assistance permitted. ;D

I will also post another thread called Christmas Intros Game - Answers. So you can check out your score.

If you want to,  in THIS thread, you could let us know how many points out of thirty you got, or you could just say you took part without revealing your score.

If more than one person publishes their score we'll be able to see who is the forum's biggest Christmas Song Nerd. Or else the forum's Biggest Christmas liar!  ;D Although I am sure nobody would cheat, as what's the point!?  ;)

It is just a bit of fun anyway, most of the songs are easy to get, or at least not very hard. Getting the year right would be the hardest thing.

Anyhow, good luck and here is the file link!

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/xmas-intro/s-vQ5erczeyKP
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 02:45:21 PM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 02:42:21 PM »
Great idea Michael - The year was the hardest bit, although a few of the songs I didn't have a Scooby. I did manage to get 3 points on the last 2 though  :) :)

A grand total of 15 points out of 30  :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 02:47:59 PM »
Thanks for playing @pompeyjazz. 15 ain’t too shabby  :D.

Poor @CaliaMoko only got two, but I do admit this is a bit easier for UK listeners.

If anyone else joins in and wants to share your score please do it in this thread, not the answers thread, so that this thread keeps getting bumped and more folk might join in. Ta  ;D

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 05:46:57 PM »
This cheered me up! Ta.

I managed 14 out of 30...I was totally stumped on a couple of them and I didn't get the year right on any of them, except that last one...which was totally my favourite, by the way :)

Thanks for doing this, Michael...I'm sure we could all do with some festive fun at the minute!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 06:03:01 PM »
Great @PaulAds , glad you enjoyed it. So actually Vicki @CaliaMoko was looking for a collaborator. So I will add your decent showing of 14 points to her 2 points to make 16 points. So you are now beating @pompeyjazz by one point!  ;D Seems fair!

I am glad you got the year right on the last one! :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 06:21:14 PM »
A much needed 3 points in the bag, there @pompeyjazz and yeah, @MichaelA I got the year right and everything on that one!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 07:52:38 PM »
Hilarious stuff. Some nice curveballs in there too (I was being far too straight).

13 for me including a couple of lucky year near guesses, which is about the correct level of nerdiness that I can accept.

Proud of myself for instantly recognising no.10! (No.10 grumble grumble...)

Cool stuff, thanks for it!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 09:15:48 PM »
My wife just entered into the Christmas spirit to have a go at this...and she got 16 😀

Her favourite one was Chris Rea “driving home for Christmas”

A man got ran over by a snowplough. “Watch where you’re going, you stupid bastard” he said through gritted teeth.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 09:37:19 PM »
Respectable score @adamfarr with 13. But being based in Spain, and with the UK probably leaving the EU with no trade deal, there will be a 20% surcharge tariff on your score. So now you have scored 15.6, thanks to the cheating EU. But that’s not your fault. So you are up that leaderboard now!  ;D

Great stuff @PaulAds , your wife is smart. Me and my wife aren’t speaking as she wanted 1 point for saying The Proclaimers sang one of the songs - which I will be careful not to mention in this thread - instead of that other band beginning with The Pr....  I am a very fair referee and can’t compromise on my standards. But I may be sleeping on the sofa tonight.

Maybe more members on here should try this with their family. What could possibly go wrong?! 🙄

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 11:30:08 AM »
thanks @MichaelA - I think I like your version of no deal. I thought it was going to be you tax me 2.6 points and I would have to offer you some of my mackerel to even get into the running...