Cover Version Challenge ?

• 115 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2021, 09:42:22 PM »
More fantastic covers...this is proving to be quite a thread!

John's Beatles cover is brilliant...vocals somehow manage to steal the show from those fab jangly guitars. I love the early Beatles in particular...I thought they went a bit bonkers smoking all that shit and going all peculiar...although they produced more great songs later on...I dunno whether it was the flares and beards and stuff that got on my nerves too...anyway...

The "Seven Nation Army" cover is absolutely immense...amazingly powerful stuff with a vocal that could strip wallpaper at 100 paces...awesome  :)

Kafla did an amazing job of Vince Clarke's Only You...I often wondered what Depeche Mode would have made of it, had he not scarpered with it and fallen for the completely resistible Ms Moyet...or if he'd had a bump on the head like Ronald Coleman in that film with Greer Garson that I can't remember the name of...or whatever the hell happened to him. This version I reckon knocks Yazoo into a cocked hat...the vocal is superb and it drips with emotion...whereas I thought Gus Poyet/Ms Moyet always sounded like she was neither fish nor fowl as my Grandma might have put it  ;)

Wicked Deeds took a fairly kitsch singalong ditty and turned it into a heart-wrenching ballad with that amazing string section. Soaring vocals in that one too! Peter Sarstedt must have been as thrilled at having a number one hit with this as he was uncomfortable at seeing that photofit of the Yorkshire Ripper  :P And when his Ma heard that they'd caught the Ripper and his name was Peter S...utcliffe...I bet she breathed a sigh of relief. You never saw them both in the same room together, did you?

Reminds me, a good friend of mine knew a guy who worked with Sutcliffe and he genuinely said "He was OK, was Pete"

Incredible, really.

These covers are incredible too. Great work on the playlist, John!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:56:51 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Melusine2

• Open Mic
    • Crowdfunding Melusine Web Page
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »
Lovely emotional vocals and strings, and discovering of this song @Wicked Deeds
Beatle's cover is amazing, the vocals are brillant @pompeyjazz
Lot's of sad song for this competition, but catchy ones !

@PaulAds & Pompeyjazz : Thank you for your feedbacks, i am blushing now :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »
Hi John, @pompeyjazz,

Could you amend the link for my cover.  I revisited the track and had a few soundcloud problems.  I think it's an improvement on the last version too:

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/where-do-you-go-to

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »
Wow @Wicked Deeds you've done justice to a very lovely song with this sweet and well layered arrangement. Very cool :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2021, 12:23:38 PM »
Very nice indeed, loved all of em, especially care less wispa and inly you @CaliaMoko @PaulAds

Thanks Johnno for compiling them

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2021, 12:54:17 PM »
I thought you might like this one...it's My Foolish Heart, my interpretation of John McLaughlins version.

It was recorded in 1982 and a sketch rather than a proper mix.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:43:15 AM by cowparsleyman »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2021, 10:14:36 AM »
Thanks @pompeyjazz,

Marie has added spoken French, I've included brief backing vocals and acoustic rhythm to the new version. 😍

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2021, 06:26:06 AM »
All of the songs posted so far for this challenge, have been amazing although the only cover I recognize is 'Only You' done by Vicki :)

I'm still working on mine and hope to have it post-able before the end of the month, but now I wish I'd picked something a little less well known :o

I've never recorded a cover tune before, so it been a good challenge and fun  :D

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2021, 08:20:01 AM »
@crystalsuzy - Hi Suzy - here's a bit of context for you..It's the album which saw "Mr Blue Sky" - My favourite uplifting song, check that out if you've never heard it...

'Steppin Out' was written by Jeff Lynne in  1977 and is on the "Out of the Blue" double album, here's the original and his own acoustic cover...What a songwriter...

Regards

Rich

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »
WOW! Thanks for sharing this Rich...What an amazing song! I love your version of it too  8)

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2021, 01:59:02 PM »
Great covers!  At least the ones I've managed to catch.  John's playlist will be invaluable, and hopefully I'll have mine finished around the weekend!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2021, 03:47:54 PM »
WOW! Thanks for sharing this Rich...What an amazing song! I love your version of it too  8)

btw, they are playing in his living room

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2021, 07:24:51 PM »
So, I'm late to the party and it is a long thread but as far as I can tell the challenge is open until the 31th so we go...
First and probably last cover I ever recorded, my take on Hero Of War by Raise Against, a fantastic song but I always felt it was lacking a little in dynamics and "aggression" for lack of better words.

https://soundcloud.com/johan-alm/hero-of-war/s-38mU4E8Mkth

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2021, 06:43:49 PM »
Excellent @Jambrains.  Great interpretation of the original, given it's a guitar song and you are, well, Jambrains, I expected more guitars so the piano intro building to all the guitars really worked well.

Good stuff!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial