Cover Version Challenge ?

• 115 Replies

Melusine2

• Open Mic
    • Crowdfunding Melusine Web Page
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
Coucou,
@CaliaMoko : a lovely cover :), full of emotion.
@Morefrog Jones : nice done for an acoustic live on take, that's cool and nice to listen :) but how many cover did you post :)), learning to fly is really good as well :)
@cowparsleyman : a nice sad song, don't even tried to understand the lyrics, your vocals  are full of emotions.
@ChrisPrice : Nice one  :) you can try to post on soundcloud and they will email you if there is a problem and delete the track. Most of the time it did not happen, sometimes it happens ;)
@PaulAds : this bossa nova groove !, it is an inventive reinterpretation :) :)
@Kafla : lovely one
@MichaelA : many thanks Michael :) :)
I hope i haven't forget anyone for the moment, i hope there will be more  covers to come that's cool

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2021, 04:27:43 PM »
@CaliaMoko

Great vocal delivery of a classic song.

@Cowparsley man,

I haven’t heard this sone before but it has all the hallmarks of an ELO number, Lovely harmonies. Big Beatle influence too.  Cool track.

@Chris Price,

So much work lavished on this.  Once again, it’s one I haven’t heard before.  Detailed production.  I love the backing vocals!

@Paul Ads,  Unmistakeably a funeral crasher cover.  Trademark guitars which are really good bu the way.  This would be an excellent live number to play.  You never dissapoint!

@Kafla,  I prefer this to the original.  Lovely vocals.  Excellent slow paced version of the Yazoo electronic number that benefits from subtle strings.

@Melusine2

Great song and fantastic sultry vocal.  It’s always a great pleasure to hear your beautifully expressive voice.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:12:19 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2021, 04:30:52 PM »
Heres my slowed down stripped bare version of the Peter Serstadt classic, 'Where DO You Go To'.  I hadn't realised how difficult the vocal was going to be to capture the necessary emotion.

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/where-do-you-go-to

By the way, the strings were played using BBC Symphony Orchestra (Spitfire)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:19:00 AM by Wicked Deeds »

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2021, 07:29:23 PM »
Heres my slowed down stripped bare version of the Peter Serstadt classic, 'Where DO You Go To'.  I hadn't realised how difficult the vocal was going to be to capture the necessary emotion.

By the way, the strings were played using BBC Symphony Orchestra (Spitfire)

Love this song. Link to your cover doesn't seem to be working though - or is that just me?!?!?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2021, 07:32:35 PM »
@cowparsleyman Not an ELO song that I'm familiar with but can tell the Jeff Lyne influence in the chord progressions. Excellent delivery and execution

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2021, 07:35:19 PM »
@ChrisPrice Ah, I vaguely remember the original. Top job here. Bass weapon of choice eh ? Me too, I reckon if we ever got a forum band together there would be a big fight over who played bass

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2021, 07:39:17 PM »
@PaulAds What can I say about this ? It's a bloody marvellous cover and top marks to you for taking on the challenge. It's a different take on a classic song that still retains the original expression and emotion. Quality. And BTW, I think that your vocals are perfect for this number

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2021, 07:42:59 PM »
@kafla Another brave choice but what a performance and delivery. Who would have thought of covering the Flying Pickets finest song  ;D This really is a top drawer performance. Bravo

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2021, 07:45:16 PM »
@Melusine2 I know that I've heard this song before but every time I listen to it I'm completely knocked out by your amazing vocals and your outstanding performance. You put so much into this and it shows. Wonderful  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2021, 07:50:09 PM »
Blimey ! After listening to all of these fabulous cover versions, it's a bit daunting to post my entry. It's a cover of a track off the "Beatles For Sale" Album - All jangly guitars and acoustic. I've loved the song for years after listening to the album on repeat when I was a kid

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2021, 08:16:35 PM »
@pompeyjazz,

This one brings back really happy memories for me.  I was 10 and 'round at my Grandma's where my bachelor uncles lived.  They had the best record collection on the planet and uncle Rick had a guitar or two to play.  That's what really switched me on to music.  The Beatles were a staple fr me from a very young age.  I loved 'Beatles For Sale' which of course, is where this originates from.  No Reply, Mr Moonlight and of course this little beauty which really should have been a single release.  Your vocals are stunning here John.  The cover is top quality!

Paul
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:22:56 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2021, 08:19:53 PM »
Don't know why the original link wouldn't work but here is a new link which will take you to my version of 'Where do you go to'.  Original by Peter Serstadt.  It took an age to decide what to do with this.  I had to remind myself that it was a cover and so I dropped a million instruments and kept it to a simple string arrangement with a little bass and some drums cobbled together to break th edmonton of a song with only a few repeated chords..

@pompeyjazz thanks for the heads up about the link not working.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:19:24 AM by Wicked Deeds »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2021, 08:39:49 PM »
Excellent interpretation @Wicked Deeds I love how you have kept it simple with the orchestral strings and nice work with the brass as well. That BBC orchestra vst really is something. Perfect vocals top it off Paul. Top quality work   

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2021, 08:56:39 PM »
Great cover of Serstadt fo'sure. I think your own stamp is put on it from the off; the original is largely guitar based and more uptempo while you've slowed it down and taken it away from the guitar. It's an impressive orchestral arrangement and I really like when the ride cymbal (?) and the bass kicks in. Adds a nice contrast to the piano and string sections. The horns in the bridge section are also well worked.