Cover Version Challenge ?

• 115 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »
Hello everyone! I’ve been busy with a quiet Christmas and a project so not been on here for a couple of weeks.  Look like there’s a few songs I’ve missed so I’ll work my way through them.

This sounds an interesting challenge so if I can, I’ll give it a go.  Lockdown permitting, I’m a bit busy at the moment but I love covers so hopefully I’m in 👍👍
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2021, 06:53:54 AM »
This is my version of ELO’s Steppin Out

Hope you like it, I’ve always loved the way Jeff Lynne writes and his choice of instruments, and the piano part was interesting for me. It’s such a sad sad song...

Hope you dig.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2021, 02:00:46 PM »
Very cool, Rich! Did you have a pair of oversized gradient-lens sungoggles on too?

Jeff Lynne has written a ton of fantastic stuff. No top ten of mid-late 70's was complete without one of their epics. I had a lot of early exposure, as my brother was a massive fan when we were growing up...in fact, our lad loved the way P̶u̶c̶c̶i̶n̶i̶ they laid down a tune...and V̶e̶r̶d̶i̶ ELO were always creeping from his room  :P

This is a great, reflective version...electric piano is super. Your excellent, heartfelt vocal adds a lot to the sentiment here. Drums are very cool...I could never understand his drum thing...he always seemed to love that Beatles-style drum/hi-hat sound. I remember listening to "Hold on Tight" feeling sad that their light seemed to have just about gone out...and thinking that Bev Bevan must have died...and they only had a couple of bars of drums recorded for the song...so they just looped that and chopped it abruptly at the end. Like when Ye Olde Soviet Presidents had croaked, but nobody wanted to admit it...so they'd just whack them in the freezer until Parade Day, at which point they'd wheel them out, stand them on the balcony with a hat-stand up the back of their overcoat and get someone to lift a gloved arm every couple of minutes as the ICBM's rolled through Red Square.

Excellent cover version...who's next?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 02:02:51 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2021, 03:02:29 PM »
@PaulAds - Thanks Man, yip, I never take 'em off...  I know what you mean about the drums, in fact I tried to get that snare sound (acme xla3 yet again) ( @PeteS - You might be interested....) always sounded like someone thrashing a dustbin with a stick...I actually paid President Bresnev to do a session for me on the drums, so I stuck a couple of Vic Firths in his frozen claws (trying not to laugh/get entangled in at his HUGE Denis Healey eyebrows) and he did me proud in a sort of dead soviet leader/Roland 808 kind of way.

It was a rare few weeks of actually enjoying practicing the piano.

What's next?  Who knows....

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
 :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2021, 04:46:57 PM »
Rich, thanks for sharing. its not an ELO tune I know but I enjoyed it and felt the solitude of the delivery
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2021, 01:00:58 AM »
Here's my cover. I usually write and record guitar rock of one kind or another but I thought I'd have a stab at something slightly outside the box. This song goes back to the late 1960's and was a chart success in the UK for The Showstoppers who came from Philadelphia USA. It's been covered by one or two acts over the years though not recently as far as I know. The most successful cover was by American rockers J Geils Band in the early 70's which I thought was bloody awful!! Here's my version of Ain't Nothin' But A Houseparty. I built the track up from scratch - so it's not based around a commercial midi file. The Drums, keys and brass are vsti's. The vocals, guitars and bass are all real.

https://app.box.com/s/38acux6ymkg5rr5a5ezcq09uk2bgv28s

I normally use Soundcloud or similar but I wasn't sure about copyright so used The Box for this.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2021, 05:47:20 PM »
Hi Chris...that's a great song...can't say I've heard it before.

Do you play drums yourself? Was that a mic'd up acoustic kit?

Just interested to know...I seem to have developed a bit of a drum sound fascination of late :)

Everything about it sounds top drawer. You did a great job on this.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2021, 06:24:03 PM »
@PaulAds
Thanks very much for your kind words. I don't usually record covers but I always fancied a stab at this one. The song was quite big back in the day, and it was popular with northern soul fans too, but it seems to have disappeared off the radar since.

It isn't a real drum kit. I used XLN Audio Addictive Drums on this track + Toontracks EZ Drummer Latin Percussion set. I programed the drums myself. I can play real drums, albeit at a fairly basic level, and that gives me the ability to think drummer when I'm recording if you know what I mean. I like to make the kit sound as real and live as possible, especially on my own songs. Likewise any keys and brass sounds. The guitars and bass are real instruments. The bass is actually my weapon of choice though I've also played guitar and drums in real bands over the years. :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2021, 06:54:37 PM »
Well...mission accomplished there...brilliantly done!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2021, 07:27:11 PM »
Here's mine...

I recorded the vocals umpteen times until I could take no more...and I just had to leave it as it is...

In hindsight...I should have picked something else  :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 02:35:13 PM by PaulAds »

Melusine2

• Open Mic
    • Crowdfunding Melusine Web Page
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2021, 09:24:04 PM »
Hey Paul you chose a sad song on a latin rythm :)

Here is my little contribution, as I am not able to compose by myself music, I just  share a cover, the only originality is on the version chosen from Postmodern jukebox  of Seven Nation Army

https://soundcloud.com/cecile_333/pjb

Kafla

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2021, 10:11:05 PM »
I’ll catch up on all your wonderful songs soon team...having a little breather🤪

I was going to go Careless Whisper @PaulAds...fckn glad I didn’t lol...that’s awesome 😎 💪🏻

Here’s my wobbly effort...

Only You (Yazoo Cover)#songwritersforum challenge by Kafla on #SoundCloud https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/zVZ7Qi2ph3ryCMz97
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 10:18:23 PM by kafla »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2021, 11:07:04 PM »
There’s some absolutely amazing work being posted on here in the past few hours.

@paulads I loved your version of that George M classic, especially the biting guitar sound and the pounding rhythm. You have given a pop masterpiece a cutting edge, without losing the soulfulness and feeling of the song. Really interesting. And fantastic too!

@kafla, you sound great on this and what a first class deconstruction. That version would take the charts even today, total quality. It takes a lot of guts to take on Ms Moyet for vocal excellence, but your distinctive pop voice is right up there. It wins you over in mere seconds!

@Melusine2 that is a very powerful and totally amazing cover. So artistic and different, but the best thing about it is the dramatic performance. The highlight of that is your own vocal performance which really scales all the heights. Awesome indeed!  :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:22:40 PM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2021, 06:16:50 AM »
Wow some excellent cover versions going on here....inventive interpretations which breathe different life into the originals often better to my mind.
Now I'll have to dig back deeper into the thread and listen to some more.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer