Did I write this or steal it?

• 7 Replies

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« on: November 23, 2020, 09:00:11 AM »
Huge favour to ask. This tune popped in my head, but I am not sure if it's mine or if I plagiarised it. If I did pinch it from someone else, I honestly cannot remember who from. Any thoughts most gratefully received. Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1d4te7c0zql0592/piano%20score.wav?dl=0

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 03:13:47 PM »
It doesn't sound familiar to me. And that happens to me a lot. A tune just comes to me and it sounds to me like I must have heard it somewhere. I usually can never find out where I might have gotten it, though. I do remember one I figured out. That was many years ago, and I changed my tune enough so it was my own. Sometimes one of my tunes reminds me of another tune but, when I finally figure out which one, I realize it isn't actually the same, just has the same kind of feel.

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:33:02 PM »
Thank you! Finger crossed it's mine and I can use it. Accidental plagiarism, I think, is very common. I read somewhere Paul McCartney was not sure, at first, if he wrote Yesterday himself or unconsciously took it from something else he heard before.

Thanks again for listening. Really appreciate it.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 03:29:52 AM »
I've heard the Paul McCartney story. As I recall no one was ever able to come up with where it could have come from, so it was determined to be original.

Then there's George Harrison with "My Sweet Lord", which cost him a little, as he accidentally lifted the melody from the Chiffons song "He's So Fine". So it happens.

josemar

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 08:24:27 PM »
I'd say is original....It doesn't remind of a some song...nothin' hits me...

Just develop it...

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »
I'd say is original....It doesn't remind of a some song...nothin' hits me...

Just develop it...

Thank you for listening. Much appreciated.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 08:40:29 PM »
I can't say that any song springs to mind but it depends what you add to it. The melody line is the crunch. If that sounds too close to something else then it's back to the drawing board. Fine as it is imo. :)

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 10:55:11 PM »
I can't say that any song springs to mind but it depends what you add to it. The melody line is the crunch. If that sounds too close to something else then it's back to the drawing board. Fine as it is imo. :)

That's very kind and encouraging. Thank you. Hope you can hear the finished article soon.