Is This Real - My first WIP song post...

• 10 Replies

BassPlayerPete

« on: December 09, 2020, 02:14:35 PM »
Hi all!

I'd be grateful if you can take a listen to a track I'm currently working on and let me know what you think.

It's aimed at the country market and it's all my own work from top to bottom.

I'm fairly happy with the arrangement, although I plan on re-doing the a/c guitar in the intro. Also the vox are just a guide at this point, so treat me gently on the dodgy notes ;)

https://soundcloud.com/user8826031/is-this-real-bassplayerpete-work-in-progress/s-eFuaE8L1zV6

Thanks in advance,

BPP

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 02:57:53 PM »
Hi @BassPlayerPete Lovely clean sound that you have here. The intro seems to be a bit clipped - Maybe leave a bit of space before the track starts. It sounds like you know what you are doing for sure. Vocals and BV's are spot on as are the instrumentation. Great melody as well and effective use of the drop out. Great production. Top work mate  :)

BassPlayerPete

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 03:47:09 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, @pompeyjazz. They are really appreciated.

Thanks also for identifying my inability to set my locators correctly and my reticence in actually listening to the exported file!!! I am honestly not fit for purpose.

Take care,

Pete

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »
Hi @BassPlayerPete. This sounds pretty finished and very accomplished to me. I think you've got a wonderful voice and I like the real, close the deal rhyme. I can see the Take That "boys" giving this the big one in concert and big Gary giving his earnest stare as he belts this out above the audience. Nice job Pete. 👍.

BassPlayerPete

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 04:51:42 PM »
Wow, @5 guys named Lars, that's some recommendation there. Your comments certainly put a big smile on my face, so all I can do is thank you. I still think there's some work to do on it, but at least I can go at it with gusto.

Thanks a million

BPP

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 05:21:52 PM »
I too thought this was pretty superb...great melody, playing and singing

For it to become interstellar I would re-write some of the lines to make them more unique and less cliched...because I honestly think it’s got everything and deserves to be taken all the way 😍

Great job and welcome to the forum 😎👍🏻

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »
Wow, fab stuff. I knew from your introduction I was going to have to put the bass away, but now I may need to put the vocals, guitars, harmonies, drumming, melody-writing, lyric-writing and production away too.

Everything sounding really good. Great vocal and that breakdown works especially well.

So nearly there I reckon. I might tame down the hi hats a little; and possibly try to lose a syllable from "a girl so out of my league" so it fits more smoothly - but it's a great entrance to the forum if you ask me.   

BassPlayerPete

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »
@adamfarr @kafla Thank you so much for your kind words, encouragement and suggestions. They've made my day...

By the way, your suggestions are spot on and I will take them on board as I develop the track

It's great to be part of something that has such enthusiatic members and I'll do all I can to be as active and supportive as possible.

Thanks again,

Pete
PS I'm doing my best to review tracks as much as possible and look forward to listening to your material!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:26:11 AM by BassPlayerPete »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 08:39:00 PM »
Pretty impressive first post. I'd like my finished stuff to sound as good as your "rough stuff".

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
@BassPlayerPete

you have a fine, clear voice and I'm sure we'd all struggle to recognise any mistakes here.   Many of us wonder how much we should devote to a song but a handful of instruments often suffice to convey the song. (Note to myself here.) Your vocal range helps this song to fly as there are distinct sections and you are able to lift the melody with your range to make the chorus stand out. This is a good song to introduce yourself with. I hope that's you stick around so that's we can hear more of your music and find out exactly what makes you tick as a writer. Welcome.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:47:06 AM by Wicked Deeds »

BassPlayerPete

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »
@CaliaMoko - Thank you. I am sure your tracks are fantastic. I promise I will get around to listening to as much as possible on here.

@Wicked Deeds - Thank you for your comments and your welcome. TBH - I am less confident about my voice than my playing and, in my opinion, I just about get by with it. It is always a good excercise to try your own songs in different keys as they bring out different tones in the voice. Not dis-similar to playing the guitar chords or bass lines in different keys, gives you a different fretboard 'playing field' - pun intended.

Regarding the instrumentation, I am a firm believer that less is more in the majority of cases, but in every instance, identifying the the aspects of the song that are most important is paramount.

I certainly intend to stick around as I'm liking the essence of the forum and the stuff being produced within. And of course, I am happy to help and support.

Thanks again,

BPP