Leave the past behind

• 34 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« on: December 09, 2020, 09:09:35 AM »
This is the final track that I've just finished for our album.  It's a return to my more rocky side so it'll be interesting to see what you all think!

I usually start my songs holding a guitar and reading Neil's lyrics to see what feel I get from them.  With this one, I read the chorus as written and immediately felt that if I turned it round and made Leave the Past Behind the last part of each line plus add some repetition, it would be might be more memorable, anthemic if you like.   

I played Neil the chorus one night (in the days when we were allowed to be in the same place!) and he loved it so we built the structure from there.   I'd had the opening riff around for a month or so and it seemed to fit with the pace and style I wanted for the track.  I layered all the other guitar parts over time to build the sound.  The other key part is the mid 8, I wanted to drop it right down, introduce more repetition and build it back up for a big chorus finish.

The lyrics can are about not being defined by your past, look forward and see the future as a blank canvas and use the past as experience to improve things going forward.  It's then for the listener to interpret them into a scenario that suits them.

When your backs against the wall, you’re heading for a fall
When your at your lowest ebb, there’s no place you can crawl
The past ain’t gonna kill you, it just shapes you for today
Not feeling any stronger, shipwrecked and  cast away

Stop trying to push away, those willing to defend
Stop trying to justify, then have to make amends
Anchored to the ocean bed, you’re buried in the sea
Haul me up and pull me out, unlock me set me free

Chorus
Stop looking and you’ll find, Leave the past behind
It’s not how you’re defined, Leave the past behind
It’s just a state of mind,  just a state of mind, Leave the past behind
Leave the past behind, leave the past behind,  just a state of mind , leave the past behind

The real fiction, is buried in the truth
The real picture, is staring back at you
And every lens you see through, casts a shadow you can’t throw
No one knows the real you, you never let it show

Chorus
Leave the past behind, leave the past behind,  just a state of mind , leave the past behind

Mid 8
Can you take a different turn?  Can you find a way to learn?

Chorus

New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 09:30:02 AM »
This is superb @PeteS and Neil. I love the guitar sound that you have got, It's almost a wall of sound and I love that riff and octave effect. Vocals sounding really good. Loads of bite and this drives along like a right old monster. Lyrically, very interesting and open to interpretation as you say Pete.  Like the way you take it right down as well to give the song a bit of light and shade. Then the build is really dramatic before it explodes again. A great listen and so good to have followed you progress since joining the forum. Excellent  :)

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 01:30:35 PM »
I agree with @pompeyjazz about a wall of sound......love it. Great lyrics with real meaning and I definitely love that chorus.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 05:04:59 PM »
@pompeyjazz Thanks John.  I think you summed up what I wanted from it.  8). Glad you enjoyed it.

@Unclenny Thanks for listening.  Glad you liked it, especially the chorus  ;D
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 06:51:40 PM »
Hola @PeteS

Your song has strength, tension, the guitars and their chords and harmonies give it a special atmosphere. I love it from 2'30, it's a very interesting change.

This line is fantastic :
"The real fiction is buried in the truth"

For my taste I would only tell you that the instrumental base could have a little more volume to wrap the voice in another way.

Felices Navidades and stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »
Hi Pete

Yep, really enjoyed this one, its got  great energy and with a great guitar sound and riff. The lyrics are well written and very positive and the chorus  is really catchy and your middle 8 is fantastic and does exactly what you wanted in building the song back up for the end choruses. Very accomplished piece of songwriting and production.

BassPlayerPete

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 12:04:01 PM »
Hi Pete,

Great song with all the bits in the right place. I found teh sound to be pleasing in the most part, but I do thnk the kit could do with brighteneing up a little. Perhap just bringing the hihats up a tad and adding more of a 'thwack' on the snare. Your vocals are great, but they just sound a little too polite for me, considering the overall sound.

Other than that, great job!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 02:55:38 PM »
Yep, really good this. Strong chorus but best of all is that driving riffing in the riffing Goldilocks zone - not too hot, not too cold 😀 it’s a big change from your last two and shows off your versatility that you can mix up the tempos so well, so if you are doing an album looks like you have the light and shade covered.

I did like the contrasting M8 too, as John says above, you seem to have developed very quickly since joining the forum. You’ll have to do a big flop next  or some of us round here will start feeling insecure  :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 03:48:32 PM »
@PeteS

Love the riff - reminds me of something but can't place it. The playing is great, particularly the bass and drums playing off each other. As others have said, the middle eight is a fabulous addition which sets up the rest of the song perfectly. I too like the wall of sound although I think it is a tad repetitive lyrically at the end. A good slice of hard rockin' energy.
M

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 04:01:43 PM »
Verse is stronger than chorus........starts off well and then disappoints as the chorus comes in........Would be great if it built momentum as it went along.....Got a bit boring and repetitive - But overall not a bad listen for an amateur song writer.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 08:31:11 PM »
@PeteS

This is a really good arrangement. It's well performed, an upbeat song that's a good listen. However I did find it a bit lacking in overall dynamics. Maybe the mix could be a bit brighter, I don't know. Grubstar says that the vocal is a little too polite and I'd have to say that I agree. So said, I'd like to hear it in context with the rest of the material on your album.  :)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 10:13:26 PM »
I enjoyed this listen too
nice production
mostly the theme rang out to me
it's been on my mind a lot lately
I carry a lot of past with me.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 12:17:12 PM »
@moraamarolaloba Thanks For listening Mora, Neil was pleased you liked the lyric!

@Grubstar Thanks, really appreciated!

@BassPlayerPete Drums are always difficult to get the sound right, I'm hoping thatb as we add more compression and eq in the mastering process that will bring them out more.  Ah, my vocal,  You won't necessarily know as you're new (and welcome!) but i work with a lyricist, Neil, and he always accuses me of that but as hard as I try that is my voice.  I just can't dirty it up enough!  I'll keep trying though.  Thanks for listening and I'm glad you liked it.

@MichaelA The goldilocks zone, brilliant  ;D. Thanks Michael.  I guess the songs were always going to be there but there is no doubt that I have learnt a lot about recording, mixing and production not only from discussions with you all but listening to so many other great songs on here. 

@montydog Thanks Alan, glad you liked it, especially the mid *.  I guess the repetition thing can be marmite but I set out deliberately to do it so whilst it is exactly as I wanted it, I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea.  I guess I write this sort of song daydreaming about playing it live and the crowd singing along and thats where repetition definitely helps.  Trouble is then I wake up and I'm not playing it live!

@ChrisPrice Thanks for listening, as I said above, maybe the mastered version on the album will give that bit you're missing?  Hopefully.  And I hope you'll take a listen when it's released.  Cheers.

@Rightly Thanks, I know how you feel.  I think one of the things people like us suffer from is an element of self doubt and that comes from taking the past into the future.  If only we could genuinely leave it behind eh?

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 12:36:12 PM »
So @Morefrog Jones who pissed on your cornflakes?  I also saw your comment on Alan @montydog's song so you really must have been in a shit mood.

I think many of us come here because we are creatives and that often gives us self doubt, just look at jacksimmons thread in the bar and you'll see that many of us feel like this.  The benefit of being here is that it is a positive environment where criticism is constructive and helpful.  I know that half of the songs on the album we are doing have been on here and each one has later been improved because of the constructive comments received.  Your comments are not constructive, or helpful so why make them?.  If you don't like the song, don't comment.  Clearly others do and have added positive comments that we can use to improve the final sound and I thank them for that.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 01:08:51 PM »

@PeteS,

Great riff for the intro which reoccurs throughout.  Reading through the lyrics, I can't help but wish you had embraced the nautical sea theme further 'Anchored to the ocean bed, you're buried in the sea, haul me up. ' For me the best imagery of this song.  Though catchy, I didn't quite connect until I'd heard this a few times. Re the title, great advice and a fine idea for a song though sometimes the past can really weigh is down like an anchor to the sea bed.  Of course we can break free but man, it takes major effort at times.  Good thought provoking song that will engage many listeners.  Thanks for sharing.

Paul