konalavadome

Forum Faves for November

• 15 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: December 03, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »
Well...here we go.

I've had a pretty grim month...my Dad collapsed and had a succession of strokes and was taken into a nursing home...where he died on Friday 20th November. The funeral was today. My Mam is 93 and can't manage at home anymore, so we've arranged for her to go into care.

I volunteered to do "Forum Faves" as I haven't been able to keep up with the forum of late...and I really enjoyed having a couple of trips through the forum playlist, courtesy of my very good friend and forum giant John @pompeyjazz so I'm knocking back a bottle of red and writing this as I go.

I hope nobody minds the fact that I often tend to review songs by describing what they make me think of. You might, if you don't like me, for example, feel that I'm turning the situation around to make it about me...but that's horseshit, if you don't mind me saying so. Or horseshoe, as auto-correct would have me describe it. The thing is, it's of no consequence to me what reverb you used, or how clever/brilliant/earnest you are or anything like that...as far as I'm concerned, music is there to create emotions in the listener. And if something doesn't ring a bell somewhere inside me, then it goes in one ear and back out of the same ear.

Here are my top five from a great selection. A very talented bunch of peeps you all are.

5) Every 90 Minutes by Echo Dogs @PeteS

Pete has been a brilliant presence on the forum and, along with his songwriting partner, Neil, has posted loads of great songs in quite a short space of time...their songs are always very impressive...but I also really love the sentiment behind the music and lyrics too. I always get a great late 1970s vibe from them and I love Pete's vocals. This is a subject close to my heart. And I would have hated this if it hadn't been done so beautifully. Not a line of clumsy shite to be found. Well done, guys...I'd have thrown you a dog biscuit each...but I'm more of a cat man, would you believe. Dogs hate me. Dogs and strangers. Someone once told me that dogs know a wanker when they see one...but I showed them a photo of Hitler with his German Shepherd, Blondi and that shut them up fairly conclusively.

4) Hymn To The Summer (The Editors) @pompeyjazz

Nothing to do with my own personal affection for John, or the fact that he always seems to produce stuff that I really like, or the fact that I feel like we're kindred spirits in many ways...but just that this one song captures perfectly that amazing feeling of teenage holidays and youthful exuberance ...sunshine, great music, the sea-side, possibilities, checking out the talent...optimism, in a nutshell. If only we had the foresight and the technology back then to make a backup of that moment...before it gets all mangled-up in mortgages, doffing your cap, biting your lip, being sensible and getting ground into the dust by those greedy, merciless bastards...ah...those were the days, my friends.

3) Broken Hearts Bar by Michael A @MichaelA

I was lucky enough to have a sneak preview of this before Michael produced the masterpiece that I've just listened to again. It's got a depth of emotion to it that transcends its lyric, its music and its production. I love how Michael can step outside himself and draw up characters and then bring them to life with thoughts and feelings that strike a chord through their authenticity. He is a genuinely funny chap...but I think his more "serious" side is where it's at. I wish more people who are heartbroken could realise that even people like myself who have been lucky enough to hit the jackpot in life and seem like we're just taking the piss are actually seriously rooting for everyone who's up against it. Yes, tossers, even you...because it we can't take everyone along with us...we've failed.

2) You Owe Me by Ashes For Dreams @MonnoDB and @Jambrains

These two have been on fire lately. When I say "lately" I mean "forever"

I was thinking today about how difficult it might be when you are producing stuff that you must be really proud of, that knocks most of the shite you hear on radio/TV into a cocked hat, but never reaches the audience out there that would surely recognise it for the beautiful thing that it undoubtedly is.

I figured

(A) I'll never know, as I still struggle to think much of my own songs and "performances"

(B) It would just be amazing to listen back and honestly think what you'd produced was really great.

I hope you two do (B) because you ARE really great.

I could imagine myself in a clinic after a sports injury or perhaps bending the ear of an increasingly exasperated marriage guidance counsellor, having been unable to raise the flag recently, or something...and the medical practitioner said to me "don't worry, kidda, have a listen to this song by Jambrains and Karen and see if that does the trick"

1) Four Girls by Kalfa @kafla

I thought this was an absolute belter...it just has an effortless star-quality in the writing, playing, production and vocals that I fell in love with. Andy seems, to me, to have an amazing talent for crystallising simple, genuine, heartfelt emotions into songs that I love listening to. There's a warmth about his persona and his laconic delivery that draws the listener in...or at the very least, this listener...and get them on-side. He'd have made a brilliant leader of men in years gone by...someone who the secret police would have identified and nobbled in a pre-emptive strike...like how they used to grab all the union leaders, priests, professors...or anyone with any standing or ability to represent the people.

So there it is...

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 10:26:28 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 10:38:01 PM »
Hey Paul, tough times I know!  and a brilliant effort to try to see the positive through the shit! 

It's a great list so thanks for including my sone especially as it is such a difficult subject.  I also think that Andy @kafla's song was awesome.  2 versions and a video alone was worth the top notch but the song itself was brilliant.

FWIW I love you reviews, irrespective of whether I agree or not, no one on here makes me laugh as much as you do!

Top job Paul!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 10:42:42 PM »
Wow, well thank you @PaulAds for including me in your top five. But I am so sorry to hear of your bereavement and it is amazing that you persevered on to do this for all of us. You didn’t need to at all.

There’s some very talented writers and musicians on this forum and I am very proud, for this month anyway, to appear in someone’s top five.

But thanks again @PaulAds for one of the best set of considered reviews you could ever hope to read. Even if you are a North East miserable bastard (in your own words!), you are still our treasure! 😀😀😀
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 11:11:19 PM »
Well.. firstly my sincere condolences...... so hard.. And I'm both amazed and understand completely why you would take this on right now... I think I might do the same...

Thanks so very much for including me and @Jambrains in your picks.. Honoured completely as we're in great company but also I know there were lots of great songs posted in the month..

FWIW on your A/B scenario - we're firmly planted in the enjoying everything we do immensely and I love (I won't speak for JB) doing what we do.. not a negative bean to the experience... I feel very lucky tbh and love the way you've described our thing...

Your reviews are as entertaining as your songs, and that's saying something.. I am a big fan!

Kudos to you and thanks again for the pick - among great picks!

K

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 06:59:21 AM »
Really sorry to hear about your loss Paul & thanks for taking the time to do this. Hopefully music will help you over the next few days/months/years.
A great set of songs you`ve chosen & very perceptively written.
Spot on about trying to take everyone with you.
I couldn`t let the comment pass that you struggle with your own songs. I`d give my right testicle to write the songs that you have (not the left one though,that`s beautiful ) so you have to know that they (& you) make a lot of people very happy..(even if you are a miserable twat!).
With all the very best wishes @PaulAds ,
Chris.

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »
Ah mate you have no idea how happy this makes me...not really the nomination which is celebration in itself but the way you have described my music...jeez oh that’s made it all worthwhile...🥲

I love the way you hijack threads with your own personal anecdotes and thoughts because as you say surely that’s what music is all about ? And anything I have ever heard from you has been real quality!

It’s also easy to be someone different online and I know we get the 100% authentic you...exactly the same as the real physical person...it takes someone extremely comfortable in there own skin to behave like that...

I am really sorry to hear of your Dads passing and I hope you all get some time to heal...I also hope that your Mam is smothered with love and affection...

In the spirit of hijacking here is a song I wrote a long time ago after attending a funeral and observing all the mad things that happen during that day...this was long before I really knew anything about production but it’s a song I still listen to...spookily enough it was written almost on this day...

https://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/the-dead-of-winter?in=andrewcruse/sets/the-gates-of-elysium

You are a top man @PaulAds and thanks for making my day and also being around this forum!

Well done everyone else as well ❤️👌🏻

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »
@PaulAds My condolences for your loss. It is indeed a freaky time which nobody can really appreciate until they have been through it themselves. We're so lucky as writers and musicians that we have this wonderful outlet to lose ourselves and immerse ourselves in music. I'm completely honored to be included in the November list along with some top quality tunes. When I was getting the playlist together I was thinking about how difficult it was going to be to choose a favorite 5.

Your reviews are always entertaining and insightful and it's wonderful to hear how you feel about a piece of music. It's hard to explain sometimes but you always seem to be able to portray that feeling so eloquently. I don't think that you should have any doubts about your songwriting abilities Paul as your songs are always carefully crafted works of art.

Keep on being a miserable bastard as we all love ya  :) :) :) :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 05:51:24 PM »
Thanks to all for the lovely kind words. I'm fine, ta :)

I thought I'd expand a bit on this...as there were a few guys in particular that I wanted to give a shout-out to, as they just missed out on my top five by a whisker...then I thought I'd quickly give you my thoughts on all the songs in the November playlist.

@Jamie This has all the hallmarks of Jamies fantastic output. Soaring vocals, some super chord-changes, crisp production and intriguing lyrics.

@digger72 and Katja produced this gritty and anthemic track...with its heavy industrial-sounding guitars and enigmatic vocals.

@Welsh Steve produced another quality song...but I had to dig around for his username to tag him here, as he's not around the forum much. I couldn't help but notice that his last song didn't get any comments at all. I guess it holds true that the more you put into the forum, the more you'll get out of out.

@CharlieSmith Charlie hasn't been around the forum long, and I think it was me who pointed him in this direction...I don't know how useful he's finding the place...but this is a promising embryonic version of what could easily be expanded into a pretty cool hooky number.

@mickyplankton This is great song! It was it my top five right until the last couple of songs knocked it off the podium. I loved the punch and drive to the song...and I really enjoyed the slightly tongue-in-cheek delivery. Micky has loads of great ideas and seems to come from a musical place that's close to my heart.

Andy (Kafla) nearly had two songs in my top five...but I decided to shoe-horn this one out of the reckoning in order to give the others more a chance.

@Jack Simmons Jack's new album sounds like it'll be a pretty tasty slice of modern pop. He's a great singer with a recognisable sound and style. The doubts Jack recently raised about his abilities to get on in the music biz seem to me to be unfounded. He's certainly talented enough. Lucky enough is another thing entirely...and probably more relevant. I think gradually building a fan base is definitely one of the best methods...and although myself and the rest of the forum might not be his target audience...he could do worse that using us to practice on. If that seems like a bit of a chore, then some kind of shortcut might be in order. Tabloid scandal, role in Coronation Street, etc

@montydog Alan has been a top quality regular for longer than I can remember and he seems to have taken a good few steps up musically in the last year or so...his voice is always smooth and classy. The country-style backing here really kicks this one along very nicely. He's a great story-teller and lyricist into the bargain. One of the best around.

@CaliaMoko Vicki...what can I say...she's such a credit to the forum and a lot of the folks on here with ambitions in music could do themselves a favour and try to get 1/4 of the amazing "can do" spirit that Vicki has in abundance. She always seems to be out there learning, networking, playing, singing, writing and recording whilst juggling a dozen other things at the same time. She's amazing. Her melodies are so well thought-out and her voice is still clear and full of spirit.

@LostBoy has great voice...I don't know if there's anybody better on here in that regard. The Hilda Baker to his Arthur Mullard on this one is called Claudia. Leo's voice gets so high here that I wonder if she's the daughter of former Labour MP Ed Balls. It certainly sounds as though she's Clawed Ya Balls. This is a very well put together song...with excellent performances from both writers/singers...though it was possibly a bit syrupy for my taste...it would go lovely on a pancake...perhaps with a squeeze of lemon to add a little sourness. Obviously, I'm a miserable bastard...but although I once tried an outrageous bicycle-kick on a cross that went over my shoulder in the dying minutes of a football game against Whickham Comprehensive that flashed about a foot wide of the post. So we lost. And I remember the feeling of defeat more than I remember the look on peoples faces when they thought it was heading into the top corner. Leo seems to have a boundless energy and optimism in his voice...even when things aren't going according to plan.

@Sebandme keeps knocking out these super indie-flavoured gems with a very late 90s feel to them. Another very good voice on show here. A super chorus in this one...but it just missed out on my top 5. Enjoyed the rhythm guitar in this one!

And after yet another bastard Soundcloud advert...

@PeteS and his buddy produced this rather lovely jaunty serving of upbeat jangly English pop music...hints of early REM...great vocals too.

@Paulski is as irrepressible as he is inventive and accomplished. One of the greatest pleasures of the Friday night songwriter Zoom chat has been the opportunity to put faces to names and "meet" other forum members. Paulski is as warm, funny, talented and charming as his songs would suggest him to be.

@Wicked Deeds is absolutely one of my personal forum faves...not just in his writing, playing and singing..but he's such a lovely fella too. He writes some of the best songs that the forum has to offer...and this is no exception. Beautiful melodies, expertly crafted. That "I always tried to be the one..." part is just gorgeous.

@man made material has just arrived on the forum when I've not been able to be around so much...so I've not had much chance to say how much I like a lot of his ideas. This reminds me of Depeche Mode and New Order in equal measure...and is a really strong song. I hope to be able to catch up with more from the three m's

@LostBoy and his transatlantic buddy have produced a lovely Christmas song here. Speaks of lovely memories of those who are no longer with us...and makes us realise just how important it is to spend as much precious time with loved ones as possible. It's SO lovely of the Government to let us see our closest relatives this Christmas, as long as we're good little girls and boys and do as we're told and follow all of their stark raving bonkers rules and regulations, before they kick the shit out of what's left of the human spirit on January 2nd.

@Wicked Deeds cooked up some great twanging guitar riffs here...made me think of Squeeze...which is always something I'm happy to do. Great bassline here too!

@rightly is a genius.

@Grubstar I love Grubstar! I was a little gutted that this didn't quite make my top five. In fact, listening back again...I don't know how it didn't! Different days, different faves, I guess. Love the 80s style. Everything I've heard from these folks has been hugely enjoyable.

@pompeyjazz and @Melusine2 have been one of the most brilliant pairings we've had the pleasure of hearing. They work so well together. You never know where this one is going...fantastic lead vocals and perhaps the craziest middle 8 in the history of the forum. Great lyrics too...adding to the dystopian feel that suitably reflects the unprecedented times that we not only find ourselves living in...but also, sadly, a glimpse into a future that I suspect is going to be nightmarish beyond anything 2020 threw at us.

@man made material Great title. I wrote a song years ago called "table for one" after some bird I was meeting at a restaurant had the good sense not to show up. The waiter came to the doorway and made his numb-skull suggestion that perhaps I'd care to dine alone. The fucking moron. Anyway...this helped me get over myself and offered me a tiny feel of "skin deep" by the Stranglers...a top song! Nice going, MMM

@MonnoDB and @Jambrains are right up there with the best the forum has offer. Jambrains is probably more well known for his great guitar playing and production skills...but this is a proper duet where his excellent vocals can share the limelight with Karen's lovely voice. He pulled it off brilliantly. And squeezed in some great guitar too, of course. Lovely piano in here too. A treat for your bacon (ears)

Have a lovely Christmas everyone...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:05:58 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 06:19:47 PM »
An amazingly generous piece of work there @PaulAds, first time such a comprehensive write up has been done. I’m sure everyone will appreciate this.

We were mentioning other people too on our last Zoom call who don’t use Soundcloud. So an honourable mention to people like @moraamarolaloba and @Unclenny too who put out good stuff last month, but not on SC.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 06:33:53 PM »
@PaulAds ........condolences on your sad loss. My faith in the human spirit is fortified by this major act of community spirit in the face of such serious life altering changes. Fantastic reviews, too!

Appreciate that shout-out @MichaelA .
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 06:49:03 PM »
Top work @PaulAds A reminder of how many fabulous songs there are on the forum each month  :)

I'm updating the December playlist on a (nearly) daily basis so you can pop in and listen to all of the Soundcloud posted tracks so far this month. But as @MichaelA says, don't forget to give our Soundclick and Youtube contributors a listen as well

December Playlist so far is here...............................

https://soundcloud.com/songwriterforumuk/sets/uk-songwriter-forum-december

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 10:39:43 PM »
What an amazing and comprehensive write-up @PaulAds ! That had to be a bit of work. And speaking for myself, I'm worn out just reading about everything I am apparently doing!  ::) :o ;D 

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 10:58:21 PM »
Ah now here @PaulAds - who'd want to follow you doing Forum Faves... ?!?!?!! D'oh!!!! First the witty and insightful reviews.. now this??? I'm *&^%ed!

But apart from that.. sterling work, sir!

K

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 04:18:41 PM »
@PaulAds,

I tip my hat to your generosity of spirit despite everything that you have experienced lately. Hopefully we can catch up in the spring to summer time when restrictions have eased - a meeting  in God's beautiful country (The Northeast) 😍

Take care and be strong.

Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 02:27:46 PM »
@PaulAds
So sorry for your loss and amazed by the amount of work you have put in on this. Thank you for your kind words.
M