konalavadome

Writer's Block (Lyrics) Any tips?

• 14 Replies

Magic Bones

• Busker
« on: March 20, 2021, 10:45:30 AM »
Hi all, glad to find this forum. This is my first post, so apologies if there is another thread covering this. I'm sure my problem isn't unique.

Bit of background, I'm a guitar player/singer/songwriter and I played in bands from being a teenager until I was in my early 30s.

Now, at the age of 53, I've spent the last couple of years getting to grips with Presonus Studio One and I now really enjoy it. I have a drummer friend who I email my stuff to and he puts live drums on for me. I'm enjoying playing guitar more than ever and love coming up with stuff using fingerpicking and open tunings. I also love the fact that these days, you can get phone apps for everything from a Hammond Organ to a Theremin, numerous synths, glockenspiel...etc...I really enjoy the production side of things. When I finish a song, I then make a video for it and put it on my YouTube channel, under the name Magic Bones.

The problem I have is with lyrics..When I was younger and playing in bands, I tended to adopt the 'Noel Gallagher Approach' (Not that I was a particularly big fan) of having a few rhyming couplets that scanned and had a few interesting images thrown in, but ultimately it was about nothing....

Now, I find that this just won't do. I want to write something with substance and lord knows, there's enough subject matter out there in the world at the moment, but I don't want it to be like '6th form poetry'.

At the moment, the melodies and chord sequences are just flowing out of me and I currently have about 6 songs in various stages of development, but none of them have even the most rudimentary lyrics! It's becoming very frustrating.

I'm hoping that some of you good people might be able to offer some tips of how you approach lyric writing. I've tried 'brainstorming' in a Word document.on my desktop, but essentially we're back to Noel Gallagher territory..A few interesting images, but not much more....Help! And thanks in advance for anyone who stops by this thread.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:20:43 AM by Magic Bones »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum @Magic Bones

The first thing I would suggest is to find one of the wonderful lyric writers on the forum to collaborate with

Perhaps put one of your finished tracks in the Collab section and seek a lyricist to Collab with. This should help get your creative lyric juices flowing and there is definitely something magic that happens when 2 or people work on a lyric

I would also recommend some books on lyric writing and would suggest you check out authors like Pat Pattison, Robin Frederick and Jason Blume

The best tip I have heard is “songs are written, great songs are re-written”

just get a lyric WRITTEN - and then go over it and “craft” every word and syllable - with the great skill being to keep it “natural” and conversational (which is often the hardest part and the key to breaking away from “6th form poetry”, which is a great description)

The other pearl or wisdom I would add at this stage it to pick a SINGLE key concept and emotion AND STICK TO IT!

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Magic Bones

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 12:40:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply, @Boydie, I'll check out your suggestions.
I've already started with the idea of settling on a concept for each song. For a few of them, I have titles and a basic idea of the subject matter I'll be tackling.
Thanks again for your help! :-)

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 12:59:27 PM »
Hi @Magic Bones  and welcome to the forum.

I'm a lyricist and I've written thousands of songs over the years. So I've run into "writer's block" a number of times. It's almost like an old friend. :D

If I'm struggling with a song lyric I'll usually do one of three things.

a) I'll take a step back and take a little time away from it. Sometimes approaching it the next day allows the creative juices to start flowing and you can suddenly find the words you couldn't find previously.

b) I'll persevere and (possibly with a lot of swearing) try to force the words to come to me.

or

c) I'll take a small step back to think about what I'm wanting from the song and approach it from that perspective. I'll look at the structure of it - how it rhymes, how forcing I've got/want the rhymes, how free I can really be with the rhymes. I'll look at the subject of it - do I know where it's going (is there some sort of climax I'm trying to reach, for example, or am I just winging it?), is it actually going where I'm trying to get to, etc.

I may also think about the subject matter and just write down some words or phrases that pop into mind. Even if they're not suitable for the song, they may give you ideas.

Something I'll rarely do but might be helpful (especially if you've got the music in place already) is treat it like a story and write down a "plot" for the song. Something along the lines of "I want this to happen in the first verse, then move on to this in the second. The chorus needs to resolve something else and I want this to be the finale, what the song builds up to".

Don't be afraid to go back to lines you've already written and change/move/remove them. Even if you love a particular line, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and change it because it messes up the rest of the song (this part can be really difficult - I know from experience - expecially when it's a killer line).

Apart from that I'm not really sure what to add. I've never read any books on writing - I've always just done my own things.

Magic Bones

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 01:06:24 PM »
@Sterix Thank you, that's all brilliant and useful advice.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 01:24:24 PM »
Hey @Magic Bones - welcome to the forum. 

I think you’ve got good steers already from the guys. I’d echo the ‘just write’ and keep rewriting, refining - don’t get hung up on how good your first pass is. I frequently rewrite right up to and even during tracking.

Also write stuff down - stuff you see, feel, hear, think.... those little snippets can be turned into songs. I write snippets in the notes app on my phone or one of the (many) lyric books I have around the house....

Or collaborate - some (like @Sterix ) write whole lyrics which others interpret and some get together and co-write.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing some of your music.

Karen.

Magic Bones

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 01:29:39 PM »
Thanks Karen @MonnoDB I've actually just started to put notes in my phone while I'm out and about.
Here's my 'Debut Single', which I did just over a year ago. If you like that, there's about another 5 currently up on my channel.
Cheers, Dave.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:20:11 PM by Magic Bones »

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 09:07:37 AM »
I recognise what you are talking about @Magic Bones. I at points have been that writer who has music ideas galore but lacking something to say.
I got past it by changing up my method and the persistence as the other guys said.

I figure if you find writing music easy, don’t do that first! Start with a concept, a title and then a bit of lyrics before you begin the music. The worst thing I always found was having some music I loved, clung to, then had to ditch after a while because I had no idea lyrically what it was about.
I went from starting with instrumental riffs and verses and trying to write into the song, to beginning with titles, hooks and choruses and writing my way out of the song. The results are much more satisfying I find.

The other suggestion I’d make is listen to some country music. They are usually very simple musically but the lyrics have to be tight, focused, tell a story. Even if it not you kind of thing, analysing some may unlock something for you.

And above everything, keep writing and enjoy it!

Hope some of that helps.

Tom.

Magic Bones

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 03:29:49 PM »
Cheers Tom @tboswell
I once did the lyrics first thing, years ago. Don't know why, but it worked. I basically imagined I was writing additional verses for Bob Dylan's-'Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues', using the same rhythm and structure.
I wrote a simple account of our band's recent, one and only trip playing abroad (we had a Spanish drummer who got us some gigs on his old patch), mythologising a bit and it worked.

Once I had 3 verses, I used different chords and threw in an instrumental middle section. It almost wrote itself. I think I should definitely give that method another go.

I'm still currently stuck with 6 instrumentals though.. I'm going to use bits of advice from everyone who has posted here and hopefully I'll unblock the dam, so to speak.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the advice. :)

As for Country Music, I'm a fan. My band even had a photo of Hank Williams on the cover of our only single. I love to play old country tunes at gigs (remember them?). You're right about the focus and storytelling of a lot of those songs.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
Thanks Karen @MonnoDB I've actually just started to put notes in my phone while I'm out and about.
Here's my 'Debut Single', which I did just over a year ago. If you like that, there's about another 5 currently up on my channel.
Cheers, Dave.

Hey @Magic Bones - cool sound! Bit of a psychedelic vibe... And those lyrics sound good. Great stuff!

If you want more critique on your song (s) - any / all aspects including lyrics / production, stick up a song in ‘songs for review’. Have a look and see how we do it! There’s also a ‘lyrics’ section if you wave input on your lyrics as you’re writing them!

Sounds like you’re ready to start writing!

Karen.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »
Welcome MB!

When I'm in a dry patch, I really like object writing (as recommended by Pat Pattison). Basically you take a random word and write for 10 minutes whatever it inspires (trying to use all senses).

It doesn't always lead to usable ideas but if you do it for a week or so it seems to really get your observation and creativity functioning.

You can also use it purposefully - if you need a verse about, say, a rose, then you can use rose as the object and dig up images using all senses around that concept.

The other thing to try especially if you are writing a story song is to always have one theme per verse and use those as headings. So e.g.:
V1: what is our hero's current (interesting) situation;
V2: how does this play out in his life?;
V3: flashback to why he turned out like this...
(just examples)
This way you can start already with a structure that you can organize different ideas around and hang them on the different themes.

The main thing is to always be open to ideas - so when watching a film, jot down a key line, or when reading a book look for an interesting or unique take or idea...

I am a lyrics guy so I am always glad when someone wants to do more than the minimum. And great ideas don't always fall from the sky - though they are more likely to if you are primed to see them.

Go for it - even if your next song is a terrible 12 bar blues that everyone's heard before, it might warm you up for the next much better one!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 07:22:42 PM »
@Magic Bones, I'm happy to say that I never experience writer's block.  I am tempted to say that I'm fortunate but when I think about it, I believe that I can write with ease simply because I have worked incredibly hard at songwriting for 39 years.  The only obstacle for me is time.  I first began to write with an acoustic guitar and thas was when I honed my writing skills.  Now that I have a good studio set up, writing has become so much easier but I learned to write the hard way many, many years ago.   I  always engage my emotions when writing and believe that I know myself inside out. That is in my opinion essential for a writer.  If like me you write about your life experiences, including events and people that you know and care for then you have to. This can be arich well of sources to call upon for inspiration.

In my opinion, you have to leave mundane thoughts behind when beginning to write. You could be in a crowded room but you have to transport yourself to your own space, away from the every day events around you.  Think about a subject and let your thoughts take you on a journey. A word or phrase should suggest other words. Explore all of the avenues that's your mind is drawn too. music suggests emotion. You have got to engage with that emotion in order to let your mind roam freely so that's it can produce something that is extraordinary.

It's not the only approach but it is the one that's I employ.  Read novels, watch stimulating tv programs, experience life.  Embrace and understand your feelings or at least try to understand them. Anything that engages your creative thoughts and helps to  develop your creative voice can be a source of inspiration.   Be meticulous!  Jimmy Webb once wrote that songwriters are the Swiss watch makers of literacy. What he meant by that,  was a songwriter has a limited time, (approximately 3-4 minutes), a rigid framework, rhythmic and melodic constraints, rhyming schemes, a precise number of syllables to express his or her thoughts in.  Practice, as much as you possibly can.  If you are devoted to this discipline, you will become the best writer that's you are able to be.  Time and practice is what makes us master a skill. Most, if not all people develop skills through hard work.  I now think of writing, playing and producing as complimentary skills that go hand in hand.  Yet I know how hard I have worked at achieving my current level.  I know think of writing, including all of the aforementioned skills as a puzzle. It's like a mental work out out that I have to engage in to  present a song that communicates exactly what I am thinking but it doesn't magically appear. it is all down to hard but enjoyable work. Sorry that I am unable to reveal an immediate answer to your question. This is in my opinion the journey that a writer must take in order to achieve this goal.

Welcome my friend!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 06:24:55 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Magic Bones

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 01:49:35 PM »
@MonnoDB @adamfarr @Wicked Deeds
Thank you all for your comments and the welcome.
Sorry, I'm late replying, had a bit of family stuff going on.

There are some really helpful suggestions on this thread, so thank you all again.

David Kalosound

• Busker
    • Kalosound
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 09:34:05 AM »
When I encounter writer's block it's often because my expectations for the song have been set before I've started writing. A good way to counter this is to commit to finishing a song regardless of how 'good' it is. I believe that every effort you make in songwriting is rewarded in some way further down the line, so even abortive attempts or completed songs that don't cut the mustard for whatever reason still count and will help you become a better writer.

Getting the critical, judging mind out of the way as you are writing (especially when you first start something) is really key. It allows for those little 'mistakes' or erroneous inspirations to strike and once that happens you're off to the races!

Hope that helps
David
pitch perfect demo production and co-writing

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 01:03:14 PM »
@Magic Bones - Hmm, don't force it, wait for it to come to you, otherwise you'll be chasing fairies, also put you phone by your bed to catch ideas as the come to you.