konalavadome

World keeps turning - collaboration with Alan Walker

• 12 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:20:43 PM »
Well as they say if you don't ask you don't get.
And having asked Alan he kindly offered me these rather great lyrics to try and make up a song with.
I got the tune down quite quickly and then realised it was in the wrong key so I had to re-record and try some different melodies out.
Anyway without further delay please have a listen and let me know your thoughts and suggestions.
And thanks @montydog for the opportunity.
:-)
neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/world-keeps-turning-demo-nov-2020

The silver scented mornings
Bring no joy to me
For my love has been taken
And the past won't set me free
There's a moon that's rising
With a cool, ancient tide
I swam in it's waters
Baptised and broken bride

And still the world keeps turning
Time racing faster, now seems slow
My heart is burning
And I wonder what is it for
I'll never know
World keeps turning

I can't look in the mirror
There are no answers there
Just a fading, coral angel
With wings so cold and bare
There's an empty room that waits
For thoughts that never rise
Where broken pictures frame
A thousand sad goodbyes

Broken keys that jangle
And catch the winter sun
The ruby rosed bangle
That charms the chosen one
There's wind on the water
A guttering candle flame
Skyline smoke is rising
And I'm coming home again

c Walker/Connor 2020
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 07:45:55 PM »
Hi @NeilC and @montydog Very much Alan's trademark descriptive lyrics and Neil's lovely relaxing vocal style. Lovely laid back vibe here with some delicious guitar tones and fab chord changes. I love that Rhodes sound that you've used and great use of space. It's got a kind of late 70's prog feel to it with out being proggy if that makes any sense  :)

This is a great vibe from you guys. Top work indeed  :)

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:49:00 PM »
Holi

It is a beautiful song, the lyrics are powerful and your way of singing it, relaxed, giving air to the phrases accentuating it... I liked it a lot, a very elegant song with a velvet sound.

Congratulations both @Neil C @montydog

Cuidaros.

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 09:51:27 PM »
A great laid back feel to this with some interesting chord work. It reminds a bit of Steely Dan in place, but with a very English sounding vocal. Nothing wrong with that of course! I especially like the guitar break. I've only just joined this forum and I'm finding some great music here, this included. :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 10:49:16 AM »
@Neil C,

Hey Neil, fine vocal performance, production and choice of instruments to compliment Alans lyrics. There's a relaxed yet really purposeful quality that pervades throughout your musical performance. This is definitely one of your best. It's always a pleasure to hear you're musical progression and meticulous attention to detail.

Oaul
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:53:11 AM by Wicked Deeds »

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »
Hi  @Neil C @montydog

Wow and double wow! this is  one hell of a classy tune, very impressive. As Chris Price says it has got a touch of Steely Dan I think it must be the  lovely electric piano and classy guitar lines not to mention the outstanding production. Alan has provided you with some very good lyrics and your singing and phrasing of them is 1st class. All in all a great song.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 04:04:12 AM »
Great song, Neil...........another great collab!
Love the writing, here! A fantastic hook.
Good stuff, Neil.............love it!
                                                        -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 09:17:52 AM »
great work @Neil C & @montydog  ;D

very understated but all the more beautiful for it...

You are becoming a master of producing...knowing when to strip back and let the song shine...I think we all need to learn that...it amazes me when listening to songs that there is maybe 5-6 instruments...some of my songs have 70 plus tracks haha

Anyway the chorus is very hooky...when you revisit it , its like it grows everytime...a sure sign it works...maybe get those strings truly swirling in the last pass...this is when I would finally take the constraints off!

The M8 is quite unconventional but works big time...

Excellent!

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 12:10:36 PM »
This is very charming @Neil C . Interesting that you`ve slightly different melody lines in the 1st & 2nd verses. Very nice lyrics @montydog .
I`m probably in a minority (a lot like the stripped down production) but I`d like to see you develop this & flesh out the production even more. You`re so good at producing you could really flesh it out even more..and its such a good song.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 09:17:54 AM »
a team up with you two had to result in something nowt less than good
so damn well written and performed!
Well done guys!!!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
@montydog, thanks again, some great comments of your lyrics. Musically I had the 2 versions of Fleetwood Mac on my mind, Peter Green and the Buckingham/Nicks not that it sounds like them :-)   

@pompeyjazz, thanks John for your +ve feedback. Proggy but not proggy???? Are you on something special?

@moraamarolaloba, 'a very elegant song with a velvet sound' that very nice comments

@ChrisPrice, welcome and nice to meet you. English Steely Dan, indeed :-)

@Wicked Deeds, 'relaxed yet really purposeful' I was trying to make sure there was enough space for Alans lyrics.

@Grubstar, thanks for Wows, cant get enough of them! 

@IronKnee, Tom, thanks for the comment, nice. to hear from you and your tunes too

@kafla, thanks, less is more, well most of the time :-) Thought I'd take the song somewhere different for M8

@5 guys named Lars, thanks for feedbackback, interesting comment about fuller production

@rightly, 'so damn well written and performed' Cheers :-)
songwriter of no repute..

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 10:03:21 PM »
Great pace to this one, it bides its time and slowly draws you in irresistibly. Super little guitar break in the middle (a bit Fabs I thought, and the song overall had shades of The Eagles to my ears, but not in a derivative way).  A good sign was that, although longish at 4:34, when it finished it still felt like it was over really quickly.  Bravo both of you, it was bound to be good with you two involved - but it even surpasses expectations.
It's all too beautiful.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 04:08:01 PM »
@Neil C
I had these lyrics and I could never come up with anything decent musically to set them to so when Neil asked if I had anything lying about, I reckoned he'd be the man to do something worthwhile with them. I wasn't wrong. I think he's done a superb job, particularly with the chorus which is off the scale. Great musicianship as always and a genius arranger of songs. Many thanks indeed for bringing this to life.
M